No announcement yet.

Delay on Gun Purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gents...if you are always getting delays and not going to get your chl, there is a conflict resolution form you can give to the ATF. Many folks with common names have to do this to stop delays.

Same background check as the CHL...pretty sure it is free too.

Comment

Originally posted by glen1978 View Post
      Hey guys went to Academy last Friday to buy my boy a Winchester SXP 12 gauge other day and it came back delayed. Sometimes I get delayed and sometimes not but if I do I always hear something in a couple hours. I figure with all this stuff going on everyone is getting delayed. Anyways he said it could take 30 days??? WTH? I thought after a few days and they hadnt heard anything back they sold you the gun.
      The BOLD part may be your problem.... what you have just described MAY be described as a Straw purchase... You are buying the gun for someone else...

It also COULD be described as a GIFT... Depending on how you look at it, or rather how the guy behind the counter sees it....

This COULD be part of your Problem... Not saying that it IS... But it is an issue that workers at Academy are trained to look at.. which means they MAY be looking for it... or MAY have been half paying attention when they took their online test about it...

Best Bet when buying a gun as a gift is to not disclose that at the store, ffl, or wherever you are buying it... Are you buying the gun? YES you are... If you give it to your son as a gift thats your own business, but not worth mentioning to the guy at the counter...

Just a Thought thats worth mentioning.

Comment

If a straw purchase was believed the paperwork would not be filled out. Would simply tell the customer we are unable to sell the gun. The guy at academy has zero control over what the FBI says and only reads the information on the form/type the information into the computer system

While there are occasional issues with different stores, it is perfectly legal to gift a firearm, straw sales come into play when wives try to buy guns for husbands who aren't legal.

Comment

Originally posted by scott123456789 View Post
          If a straw purchase was believed the paperwork would not be filled out. Would simply tell the customer we are unable to sell the gun. The guy at academy has zero control over what the FBI says and only reads the information on the form/type the information into the computer system

While there are occasional issues with different stores, it is perfectly legal to gift a firearm, straw sales come into play when wives try to buy guns for husbands who aren't legal.
          Correct... but you are assuming the Academy employee knows his butt from a hole in the ground... He may have been trying to CYA after the fact, or just so lost on what to do he MADE stuff up. Lets pretend he Remebered HALF of his training... then he took the Halves he remebered and combined them in his mind.... Who knows what this guy could have thought was the appropraite way to deal witha a supposed straw purchase...

I've talked to almost ALL the guys that work at the Academy in Lubbock (one of which is my lil bro) and if they are a general representation of all the other Academy's then I'd say Im right on target with what the dood behind the gun counter knows... Which aint alot... so dont go confusing the guy behind the counter... you may get to deal with 1/4th of the training he slept through.

Comment

Cancel the sale and go to another store. Most big shops will have that gun in stock.

Comment

Originally posted by kcmarullo View Post
              I just had a delay on a guy but I can give him the weapon on Friday the 10th unless the ATF tells me otherwise so its 4 days.
              Correct!! I worked at gander in CS when I was in college, thats what I remember is atf has 4 days, if no contact in 4 days you can sell the gun. But I have also heard that Academy has there own policy and they will not sell unless they hear back from atf.

Comment

Well they called about 30 minutes after I posted this yesterday. Good to go. They knew I was buying the gun for him but pretty sure the tools didnt have a clue. Im just impatient and hate to wait especially without an answer on why I have to wait. I dont have a common name, I put my SS on the paperwork also. I worked for the state of Colorado as an armed transport officer hauling felons all over the state and also have held a commissioned security guard license. But whatever we got the gun.

Comment

Working...
                X