No announcement yet.

Feeder pen size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't go any smaller than 8 panels that are 16' long! The deer need a little room so one deer doesn't just take over the pen!

Comment

10-12 is plenty. I wouldn't think dropping back to 8 panels would be a problem. Had a guy show me a photo of 5 bucks in a 16'x16' pen in East Texas.... But I do agree, bigger is better.

Comment

Built two round 8 panel pens last year to keep hogs off protein. Both pens have spin feeders as well as free choice protein. Rarely see more than three deer feeding inside pens at a time. It's not unusual to see 8-10 deer piling in under an unpenned feeder. Obviously (as evidenced by this thread) deer behave differently from one place to another. Wish I would have used ten panels, but it was tough enough driving 8 t-posts in rocksprings.
        Last edited by JMalin; 02-26-2015, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Comment

Anyone use the welded wire fencing that comes in a roll? Looks like its pretty tough stuff, cheaper by a little, I can do a bigger pen for the same cost as a 10 panel pen.

Comment

Originally posted by hoythitman View Post
              Anyone use the welded wire fencing that comes in a roll? Looks like its pretty tough stuff, cheaper by a little, I can do a bigger pen for the same cost as a 10 panel pen.
              330ft of field fence is $150. I added barb wire to bottom and top.

Comment

This one is 8 panels and the deer get in it just fine.
                Attached Files

Comment

Bigger the better elk take up a lot of room lol especially when you get 9 to 12 of them in your pen.

Comment

Also panels are easier to move if you need to and to keep hogs from rooting under.

Comment

Bringing this one back, benefits of a round pen versus a square pen?

Comment

We use 6 - 16' panels in the rocky terrain mainly because of what it takes to get the equipment to the remote areas and the pain of driving panels in the rock. Pics with multiple bucks in pen at once.
                        I believe the bigger the better, but 6 works as well.

Comment

I've got 10 and would go bigger if it didn't cost so much for panels haha. Round will stretch tighter and makes better use of all the space. Plus they're way easier to build alone in a circle

Comment

10 min best 12 or more

Comment

Stupid question.. So these panels are made for what? To keep the hogs out?

Comment

12 is good

Comment

Working...
                                X