Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The how and why to my form (Beginners Guide Volume IV)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chris;
    I got the consistency part. Then I fell asleep. Form and repetition are key. I'll have to read the whole thing sometime. Most of use know that but the "mechanical" aspect of shooting very well, as you do, is the tough part.

Comment

Focus is really good but what I found when I played golf was that you didn't think of the swing or how hard you were hitting the ball. You focused on one point and performed, consistently, the same swing as each time before. Traditional is just like that... sad part is, I have really lacked the consistency recently...

Comment

Chris, Do you have any suggestions for some of us old timers that get stuck and there is no-one around to watch and see what has changed? Here in the last week or so I have changed something and cannot figure it out. Everything is hitting left. Sight picture looks the same and my anchor seems to be solid, Finger in corner of mouth, thumb is behind my ear, nock is touching my noise,and eye brow is making contact with serving.

Comment

4feathers,

If you have the ability to video yourself shooting and post it, that would be a possible option. Several others have done that here in the past and it seems to work fairly well.

Based on the information you provided, following are a few suggestions to start with. I am assuming you are right handed and have not changed bows or your arrow combination.

1. Check your equipment, brace height, nock height, shelving material (or rest).
          2. Make sure your bow arm is solid and your chest is expanded. You may be anchoring properly on your face, but short drawing (causing your arrows to shoot stiff/left) by collapsing your chest or allowing your bow shoulder to rise.
          3. Focus on a solid follow-through. Make sure that your bow arm is physically pushing through the spot after the shot and that your release hand is sliding straight back.
          4. Visualize. I used to think this was a bit corny, but over the years have become a believer in its effectiveness. When I start having issues and am unable to determine the source I will take some time off and visualize myself shooting perfect shots. After several days of this I will go out and force myself shoot the shot that I have been visualizing.

Hope this helps,
          Chris

Comment

Thanks, had one of the guys in the archery shop watch (no video) short draw was the problem. Has been shooting 4 to 5 times a week then due to work had not shot much. Could fill the differance once it was pointed out. Sometimes it just takes another set of eyes. See you at one of the up coming shoots.

Comment

Good Stuff

Comment

well played

Comment

Question from a 72 yo newbie with arthritis in the bow shoulder. I addressed this to TRadAg02 because of his excellent series for beginners. I tend to let the arrow go early (which means I tend to miss the target)! When I consciously hold the string back to correct this problem, the arthritic bow shoulder hurts and encourages me to let the arrow go quickly and I am back to the problem. I can work through the pain to some degree, but does anyone out there have any suggestions as to how to modify my position to make it easier to hold that string back? Thanks
                  Last edited by texscot; 08-01-2010, 12:30 PM.

Comment

I am afraid I don’t have a solution for this question. Fortunately I have yet to encounter arthritis, though I am sure it will come. If you don’t get the response you are looking for here, try posting a new thread with you question. I am sure that several on this forum have encountered the same issue and may have suggestions.

Comment

this is an excellent write up. one thing that i noticed is the fact that no one mentions breathing... being a long range rifle shooter breathing is just as important as the shot... calm breathing helps you remain calm and focus on your shot. when i draw my bow i take a deep breath, anchor, exhale and at the point were my lungs are completely empty my mind looses the arrow (or squeezes the trigger if im rifle shooting) when i first started shooting a bow i had target panic something kinda fierce, i told myself, i said "self, its just like squeezing the trigger, you just gotta let it happen" in a matter of a few weeks i started grouping arrows rather then just hitting the target, no matter what bow i pick up i repeat the same process every single time. i realize sometimes you have to hold full draw for more then 3-4 seconds (you know when im talkin bout, mr. backstrap is lookin straight at ya) dont let your breathing become labored (quick shallow breaths)

although i am a noob when it comes to archery period i honestly feel that this has helped me become a better shooter. 1 other tip i can give that has helped me w/ my form is shoot w/ the sun to your back, i can look at my shadow on the ground and instantly be able to tell if something is wrong w/ my form, i correct, recheck and if everything is how it is supposed to be then i aim and loose.

Comment

good info

Comment

After watching Devin shoot his recurve last weekend (and flinging a few myself), I got the bug to start shooting my old 21st Century Edge (longow) again. Although I had to use my compound carbons this evening, I shot a few times at about 12 yards this afternoon. This was a great read. I'm looking forward to learning to shoot, again.
                          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Great post thanks

Comment

I re read this all the time

Comment

Is it ever going to sink in?

Comment

Working...
                                X