Fishing Overhead Lights For Trout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be fishing overhead lights and underwater green lights the next few nights for trout. We tore them up last night free lining live shrimp but you can go through live shrimp in a hurry! They were feeding heavy on glass minnows so was wondering what y'all would suggest throwing at them?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Speck rigs.

Comment

I like using 2" swim baits under lights, rig them up on a 3 way swivel and trout tear them up and sometimes catch doubles

Or a glow trout killer jr rigged weightless with a straight hook and work it right under the surface like a topwater

Comment

Under the lights you can throw just about anything. I usually just rig a 3" gulp shrimp with a very light jig head and twitch it through and around the edge of the lights.

Comment

Weightless Fluke jr is what I usually throw when fishing lights.

Comment

I like to throw artificials like Gulps under the lights as well. In my experience the undersized-to-keeper ratio is so high, you would go through a ton of live bait before boxing your limit.

Comment

I've had luck using a small crappie jig underneath a small clear float with a bobber stop. Use a very tiny split shot about 5" above the jig to keep it from getting bound up in the clear float. Flourocarbon line is important, but I've slayed the trout using this set up, even when they wouldn't hit anything else.

Also, I've had luck on the mini chatterbaits. Always nice to have those handy as well.

Comment

Fin-S is a pretty good glass minnow imitation. Swim'n Image crank baits in Tennessee shad have been good for me also. DOA Shrimp too.

Comment

3" curlytail grubs rigged in tandem.

Comment

Berkley 3" Power minnow - Comes with 2 jig heads and 5 minnows in a pack. The jig heads wear out after about 15-20

Comment

Had a home owner go ape the last time I fished lights in Galveston. My son and I were fishing subdivision lights around piers, and we had thrown a couple casts at a green light, when this 20 something kid comes out and asks us what we're doing. I said fishing, and his father comes out and yells at us that they were fishing, and we had no respect. He said he paid for it. I told them that we'd move on, but that wasn't good enough. There were no poles outside. He turned out his lights and followed us down the canal with a flashlight, yelling. He said he had our "TX numbers", so I told him he didn't own the water. Thought about calling the GW to educate him about "navigable waters" but decided not to make an incident of it. Yea, I was pretty ******.

Comment

small silver spoon with light line

Comment

Glow 3" DOA Shrimp

Comment

Smallest gold spoon you can throw with a pink skirt. I have worn them out on that lure and it is sturdier than a soft plastic.

Comment

We always have good luck with the 2.5" litl fishie swim bait in pearl or killer shad. And we fished it weightless or as close to weightless as possible. You can fish it slow and keep it in the light longer than may baits since it has some resistance. They would crush it as it passed through the underwater green lights in my Dad and neighbor's canals. An added bonus is they were tough and lasted.

Last edited by Smart; 06-19-2017, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X