.220 swift out penetrates the .270 & 30-06

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.220 swift out penetrates the .270 & 30-06

P.O. Ackley noted that his experience proved that a .220 Swift was the most deadly caliber ever produced for deer and similar-sized game. In addition to some extensive shooting tests on animals, findings by firing two 48-grain bullets from a 220 Swift into half-inch armor plate on the front of a U.S. Army half-track. He also fired 100-grain bullets from a .270 Winchester and armor-piercing rounds from a government .30-06.

The results were amazing. Both of the .220 Swift factory loads penetrated completely through the half-inch armor plate, leaving holes approximately 3⁄8 inch in diameter. The 100-grain .270 bullets managed no penetration whatsoever, leaving only shiny spots on the armor plate, and the .30-06 armor-piercing bullets made only shallow craters.

Just thought I would pass this info on. (I'm bored )

Swift for the Win! More ample proof that size doesn't matter necessarily :wink:

Comment

.220 swift is a good round

Comment

I kill most of my does with a swift and the results have been instant death....the speed of the swift may give an advantage of initial penetration but if you performed the same tests on larger deer through the shoulder, the swift cannot match the punch through effectiveness of the more traditional 130gr-165gr of the .270 & 30-06....can't eat steel plates

While shoulder shots with the swift have been good, I choose to shoot them in the neck with the animal looking intently at me or away motionless. I would never shoot a trophy buck in the shoulder with one as the fear of him running off to die with no blood trail, is too creepy and risky.

Now if you want to see a swift on steroids, check out the 7mm lazzeroni....120gr pills right under 3900fps.

swift - .257wby - .280AI - 7mm Lazz.
        Attached Files

Comment

do you have a link to the research ? Id like to read what parameters were used.

Comment

great! i'll remember that next time i need to shoot at an armored truck or something.

Comment

I have literally killed hundreds of deer with a .220 swift or a 22.250. 99.9% of the shots were brain, brain stem, or neck. The craziest kill I ever had with the 220 was over 600 yards. it was on a West Texas ranch where Whitetails were varmints and there was a kill on sight rule. I had elevation right but missed the wind drift (it ws about a 20mph crosswind) and hit him square in the ham. He was stone dead when we got to him and the blood shock from the hit completely ruined both hams. It was pretty impressive.
              Last edited by cosmiccowboy; 10-22-2009, 03:29 PM.

Comment

shoot a feild point out a 320 f/s bow. Shoot a slick trick out of a 150 f/s bow..............

Comment

http://***********************?v=QfDoQwIAaXg

Comment

There ya go...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

Mike

I'm a HUGE fan of PO Ackley and the Ackley Improved cartridges (AI)

I have collected several old letters from the 50's that he wrote to customers about doing custom rifle work.

when my very good friend Blaine Eddy was a teenager , he use to sweep the shop and clean up the lathes and mills for Mr Ackley. Blaine learned ALOT from PO and later did all the load development for Ackley's son in law , Mike Bellm (Bellm Contenders) .

Blaine got me hooked on shooting 17's and coyote hunting back in 1999. Blaine has killed over 3,000 song dogs , nearly all with a 17 caliber

I currently shoot a 17 Killer Bee (ackley) , 20 FBI (ackley) , 22-250 AI , 257 AI, 6mm AI, and 280 AI.

Comment

I love the swift. I also shoot a .240 weatherby and it knocks whitetail sized game stiff (as with anything--proper shot placement). With that being said, I still like to tote the .30-378 to the hill county!

Comment

Originally posted by cantexduck View Post
                          shoot a feild point out a 320 f/s bow. Shoot a slick trick out of a 150 f/s bow..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bily Lovec View Post
                            do you have a link to the research ? Id like to read what parameters were used.
                            X2, having a hard time making myself believe that one.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                              X2, having a hard time making myself believe that one.
                              its all about MV, BC and Bullet Construction.

I dont doubt it, Im just interested in his parameters. Arguing with Ackley makes one look stupid

Ive killed dozens of animals with a 300 weatherby mag and a 257 weatherby mag. Both are devastating, in different manners depending on bullet weight/construction.

Comment

Working...
                              X