No announcement yet.

Educate me- Sleeping bag for elk hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bags usually advertise 20 degrees lower than is actually comfortable in it.

Comment

Originally posted by ghenson82 View Post
      Those mummy bags wont let you turn/roll a like a square one will. Just FYI.
      This was a big issue for me so I went with the Dunns Creek by Coleman. Its a 20 degree bag and if I need more I will get a liner.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by swreeder70 View Post
        So I've done a lot of Mountain hunts and have never used a zero degree bag. As others have stated that would be a very limited late season bag.

I have a Big Agnes 30 degree bag that works in about 80% of the conditions I would be in. For the other 20% of the time, I can add a liner and/or a bivy sack to it and get it down to a zero degree bag. I've been out in weather that was in the single digits and did not get cold with this setup.

I'd also point out that the R value of your sleeping pad is very critical to how well your bag will perform.
        Agree with the big agnes 30. Thats what I run right now! I like the versatility.

Comment

How will you use it? Cabin, spike camp, backpack hunting? My first trip to Colorado elk hunting, I brought my +35 degree bad to Pagosa Springs, 2nd rifle season. The first night I slept a total of about 30 minutes as I had to roll every few minutes bc it was so cold. Ice formed on the bottom of my cot that night. It was miserable and I contemplated not going up the mountain or going to town to buy another bag, but that would mean I would miss the horseback ride up the mountain and have to walk solo. I was able to score a pad, and some plastic to put between my bag and cot. I was still pretty miserable the entire hunt and spent some coin when I got home prepping for the next year. The right bag is worth all the money you can spend on it.

Comment

I think i have this one but overall they make good inexpensive bags

When you need a great sleeping bag to come back to after a long day on the trail, choose TETON Sports' Celsius Regular Sleeping Bag. This three-season sleeping bag was built to last a lifetime.

Comment

A true zero degree bag is pretty hardcore if you are in a good tent. I have a North Face Snow Leopard 0 degree bag. In Kyrgyzstan in -20F in a cabin heated by a small pile of horse dung... couldn’t even zip it up without sweating. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by ghenson82 View Post
                Those mummy bags wont let you turn/roll a like a square one will. Just FYI.
                I HATE mummy bags. I feel trapped and it freaks me smooth out.

Comment

Look no further:

Camping and Backpacking equipment, specializing in Hammock Camping specific gear. We are the home of Kick Ass Quilts, 100% Allergen and Cruelty-Free, Synthetic Top Quilts and Under Quilts for every hammock brand. Based in Idaho

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    I HATE mummy bags. I feel trapped and it freaks me smooth out.
                    Same.. I recently ordered a Feathered Friends Condor 20.. They can fill it with 950 down to make it more like a 10-15 degree bag, which is what I did.. I think it's the lightest true rectangular bag on the market

But ya, look at WM and FF.. They are the best out there

Comment

Great information- thanks!
                      I need to talk to my son living in MT about min temp.

I never heard of Western Mountaineering in SJ. I checked their location and I pass 1/2 mile from it on my morning commute daily. I’m going to check them out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bill, you might consider a military bivvy system. Cordura/GoreTex shell with two bags inside each other that zips together. Rated for a foxhole and down to witches hiney crack cold combined but can be individualized for warmer temps. The bivvy sack is nice to use in place of a tent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                          Great information- thanks!
                          I need to talk to my son living in MT about min temp.

I never heard of Western Mountaineering in SJ. I checked their location and I pass 1/2 mile from it on my morning commute daily. I’m going to check them out.

Also check out Enlightened Equipment https://www.enlightenedequipment.com/

I have their 0° quilt and have no issues with it, can just pull it off if I get too hot and lay on it, but everyone is different.

Comment

Going to be hiking in get you a good lightweight bag and just as importantly get you a really nice sleeping pad it makes a world of difference in sleep quality. If not hiking in get you a nice big thick comfy bag fron bass pro or cabelas and call it good

Comment

Kifaru, western mountaineering or Big agnes depending on you budget

Comment

I bought a cheap Hyke & Byke duck down bag for Colorado coming up in a week, will let you know how it does. It's pretty toasty on my bed at home is all I can say, not the lightest and probably junk honestly but also not $800 either. I also have my main base camp bag that I've always used, big *** Coleman rectangle. So if the pack bag is garbage I can always survive in base camp.

Comment

Working...
                                X