No announcement yet.

Val Verde County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went up there this past Thursday (3-17-17)
    Got my feeders up and going looking like it will be a good 2017 season. Set everything up on Thursday and went back Friday morning to do I little more work and checked my game cam and had a couple deer already at the feeder. Going Back April 27th. Ready to see what is on Cam

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
      Got my feeders up and going looking like it will be a good 2017 season. Set everything up on Thursday and went back Friday morning to do I little more work and checked my game cam and had a couple deer already at the feeder. Going Back April 27th. Ready to see what is on Cam
      is everything green or getting dry ?

Comment

This is the lease I passed up. Hope I don't kick myself for passing it up. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
          Who's yalls lease boss? Just wondering if you may have joined my buddies place.

Comment

I was there two weeks ago. It was starting to dry out a little. some of the bigger rock pools still had water in them, but it doesn't take long for that country to dry out. Filled the feeders about halfway cuz the store in Dryden didn't have enough corn. Nice people at that store. Saw several deer and a few bucks still had their antlers, but most had dropped them. Spent two days chasing a band of five huge rams. I missed at 250 yards the first day. Took me and the GF most of that afternoon to locate them again. They spotted us at about 600 yards and didn't waste any time getting the heck out of there. Never saw them again, but I know they won't go far. They like my corn!

I'm headed back at the end of the month. Stopping in Ozona to pick up corn this time and bring an alfalfa bale as well. I'll hunt those sheep as I'm filling feeders.

Comment

I hunt sw of comstock along the lake. Had a decent year. Saw some nice bucks but I didn't shoot a trophy. Always looking forward to next year!

Comment

Possibly going to lease a place right of 277. Is there good deer in that area?

Comment

Just kinda depends on the location of the ranch and how much pressure its had. Are you close to Del Rio or what?

Comment

My lease is just 8 miles from Dryden. Terrell County. Had some good bucks on camera, just didn't see them when I hunted. Going towards the end of April and fill feeders check cameras and see what I might need to repair a RV that was given to me. Has roof leaks. Can't wait till 2017-18 season. I got on late last year and didn't have much time to get ready before the season started.

Comment

My company's deer lease is 21 miles northwest of Comstock on west side of 1024. We have been there over 20 years with same rancher. We had another good year.

We feed protein and our bucks are getting more mass on their antlers and weight since we started. Our best buck was a B&C gross 164 taken in 2012.

We are lucky in that all sections of our ranch have water troughs and / or windmills with wells.The genetics are there but drought years are tough on horn development.

Only one turkey roost on the whole ranch which is nearly 40 square miles so we don't hunt them.

Should also mention we had zero feral hogs and few coyotes until about 3 years ago. Now they're becoming too plentiful. Don't know what caused the proliferation.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                        Just kinda depends on the location of the ranch and how much pressure its had. Are you close to Del Rio or what?
                        Its next to Devils river state area

Comment

This will be our 5th season to hunt the Brewer ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel044 View Post
                            Who's yalls lease boss? Just wondering if you may have joined my buddies place.
                            Pm answered

Comment

Originally posted by Texas8point View Post
                              is everything green or getting dry ?
                              Drying but I could tell the rain has helped! Saw quite a few deer Friday morning. The 60° morning had them moving around A LOT. We will be back April 28th if anyone will be down there.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                                I was there two weeks ago. It was starting to dry out a little. some of the bigger rock pools still had water in them, but it doesn't take long for that country to dry out. Filled the feeders about halfway cuz the store in Dryden didn't have enough corn. Nice people at that store. Saw several deer and a few bucks still had their antlers, but most had dropped them. Spent two days chasing a band of five huge rams. I missed at 250 yards the first day. Took me and the GF most of that afternoon to locate them again. They spotted us at about 600 yards and didn't waste any time getting the heck out of there. Never saw them again, but I know they won't go far. They like my corn!

I'm headed back at the end of the month. Stopping in Ozona to pick up corn this time and bring an alfalfa bale as well. I'll hunt those sheep as I'm filling feeders.
                                So you are on brewer ranch? I really hope I have some rams show up at my stand. We stop in Hondo but I like the place I Ozona

Comment

Working...
                                X