public hunting tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

public hunting tips

Me and a buddy plan on going hog hunting on public land for our first time this weekend. I was wondering what we should be prepared for and also what to watch out for. I have been duck hunting before on public many times but this will be my first walk in hunting experience. What should we bring with us to help haul out a hog if we get lucky?

We will be at somerville so if you got any tips they will help alot.

thanks!

Scout, scout, scout.

Comment

i'm not wanting info on where or how to hunt but rather just what i should be prepared for.

I know about scouting, i am a duck hunter so i know that scouting is the key.

How do you keep from setting up near others that are already in the blind? I am curious of this cause when we duck hunt we just use light but when setting up during the afternoon how do ya'll steer clear of others? Or is just a guessing game and you hope the other person sees you and tells you they are there?

Comment

1) long hike
        2) use game cart to haul in/ haul out
        3) use mountain bike
        4) use treestand or ground blind
        5) bring food & lots of water

Anyone want to fill in?

Comment

good luck

Comment

Thanks for the help, the bike sounds like a good idea.

I just want to try out something new to see what its like. We have a lease but it is 2hrs away and i want to have a place to make a quick weekend hunt every now and then.

Comment

Get in shape cause your gonna be doing ALOT of walking.

Comment

Originally posted by boss bowman View Post
                Get in shape cause your gonna be doing ALOT of walking.
                I'm still young and dumb so that shouldn't be a problem

Comment

If your huntin hogs on the grasslands, try some that gets close to Denton Creek over by 730.

Comment

Which section is closet to Denton Creek?

What is the best section on Denton Creek for hogs? I saw hog tracks on area 29 near the big tank. Only one or two hog tracks nothing big time. Also hog hair on the barbed wire near the tank.

Tool

Comment

You might get yourself a backpack that you can line with trash bags to put the hog meat in after he is on the ground. I prefer to skin and bone the hog out on the spot and just walk away with the meat!

The pack that I have is the Dwight Schuh pack from Cabela's. It works well when bowhunting, and does not get in the way when shooting.
                      The Schuh pack also works well when packing out elk quarters, becasue you can detach the bag and just use the frame to carry the quarters.

Comment

hog hunting

When hog hunting public land. (mostly with a shotgun) we take large backpacks, radios (multiple people), knives, gambrel, rope, garbage bags. We get their early (trying to watch for other trucks at the parking area). We do a push with 20 - 50 yards based on cover between hunters ( the more the better). If we jump hogs and they run left or right, they will most likely die. if they run away from you sometimes you can get a shot. If they run between people no shots... We almost always kill using this method. Once we have "hogs down" we pull out the rope and gambrel and hang them from the closest tree and de-bone the meat putting it into trash bags and packing it out. We have killed up to 4 hogs two miles in before and had to pack them all out. There is no way to pack them out with out cutting them up in the field. (dragging sucks)

Often we get within bow range before we bust up the hogs. So I guess you could use the same method carrying a bow. I will say that we find most of the hogs in thick cane, or blow downs during the day. Cane close to water is almost a magnet. We also look for bedding areas in the cane. Follow the sign...

hope this helps.

Comment

thanks for all the help guys

i was thinking about using the bag idea as well.

the area looked promising so we will probably try again soon.

Comment

I've been looking for turkeys but I found a couple spots that seem to have pigs probably going out there this afternoon to check on a camera that's not sending with poor signal might get lucky and see something, would be nice to get blessed with a pig, belly up you're welcome to join me this afternoon or this weekend if you want to holler at me I've got a few nice spots I've been hunting out there since my boys were little , they are building homes around one of my favorite units so things are changing for the worst

Comment

Plan on top dressing (take all 4 hams and the backstraps) and leave the rest. Dress it on the ground so you don't need ropes, just a skinning knife and gut hook. Large backpack or military duffel bag with trash bag liner for carrying out the meat. This works for up to 50 lbs of meat. More than that you need a game cart or dolly.

Comment

Working...
                              X