Got the draw!! Pronghorn bound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post

Here is my colorado buck from last year just south of Pueblo. He went right around 76”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    thats a beautiful Goat! Hopefully I get a chance at a nice one like that

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ganngus View Post
          Congratulations to you on the draw! I've taken two pronghorn from Colorado, but both were around Hayden. Both were 70+ inch goats. Although I have not hunted eastern Colorado, I have spent a lot of time in that area drooling over the goats running around. You will have a great shot to take a P&Y pronghorn out there.

That goat in the picture on the left is gorgeous!! He looks freaking HUGE!! WHat did he score? And are there any clues to judging a good goat? I have read that to the top of the ears is about 6 inches and if you can see another 6 inches above the ears thats a shooter...? Again I have only been on one goat hunt and I was successful and he ended up being a pretty big goat but I have to admit when i saw him i wasnt sure if he was big enough but my buddy that took me said shoot and boy am i happy i did! THere was no ground shrinkage when i walked up on him.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
            Shoot, that's right in my backyard. You going public land or private? Either way, get ready to work your tail off in those units! They can be tough to hunt but they hold some booner goats because they don't hand out a lot of tags and there's a lot of private land.

With the way the weather has been this year, I'd hunt the water holes hard. Get some good pants too cuz you'll be crawling around alot, not a ton of cover.

Decoying can be your best friend there too. Goats are suckers for a decoy.

Hay bale blinds are really popular out that way too.

Plan to shoot a ways out too. A 50+ yard shot is not out of the question there if you're comfortable making that shot.

Good luck!
            Private land about 12000 acres im told. Man any pointers you can give me would be amazing! When you say decoying should I get a stand up full body plastic doe decoy? Or what should i take? Has there been a drought up there this year? Does that usually mean smaller horns up there like it does down here? Im going to be hunting the first weekend of Rifle October 6-8 will the rut be over then? How should I hunt them? Just over water or move around as the day goes on to see if I can find some bedded down? Again any advice would be greatly appreciated especially from someone that is up there!

Comment

No info for you but I hope you nail a big one!! My first was a B&C pronghorn

Drive. Be mobile. Lots of glassing. Be prepared for a long shot.

Comment

Hope you get a good one. I took this one a few years back, in Montana.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                  Hope you get a good one. I took this one a few years back, in Montana.
                  They are such beautiful animals! Thanks for wishing me luck I’m taking all the good luck I can gather

Comment

Congrats

Comment

New Mexico pronghorn I killed a couple years ago. 82.5” if I recall. He made the book but I didn’t enter him. 4 of us hunted the first evening. All 4 shot book goats. One guy killed an 86”. I saw a few bigger ones but they were young and we opted to pass on them for the next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Trophy8
                        Guide/outfitter info ?

Comment

Originally posted by Houston4x4 View Post
                          That goat in the picture on the left is gorgeous!! He looks freaking HUGE!! WHat did he score? And are there any clues to judging a good goat? I have read that to the top of the ears is about 6 inches and if you can see another 6 inches above the ears thats a shooter...? Again I have only been on one goat hunt and I was successful and he ended up being a pretty big goat but I have to admit when i saw him i wasnt sure if he was big enough but my buddy that took me said shoot and boy am i happy i did! THere was no ground shrinkage when i walked up on him.
                          Goat on the left went 76 5/8. He was 19 inches tall. Good bases and cutters. His downfall was he didn't have the mass in the top and it hurt his second and third quarter measurements. But I was tickled pink, his height and width is overwhelming when you see him on the wall.

For field judging, if your goal is P&Y, generally, if the horns are at least double the length of his ears, you are in P&Y country. If you are looking for a B&C class of antelope, they generally will be tall with their cutters being being about 2/3 the way up the horn and have mass going all the way up.

Comment

Originally posted by ganngus View Post
                            Goat on the left went 76 5/8. He was 19 inches tall. Good bases and cutters. His downfall was he didn't have the mass in the top and it hurt his second and third quarter measurements. But I was tickled pink, his height and width is overwhelming when you see him on the wall.

For field judging, if your goal is P&Y, generally, if the horns are at least double the length of his ears, you are in P&Y country. If you are looking for a B&C class of antelope, they generally will be tall with their cutters being being about 2/3 the way up the horn and have mass going all the way up.
                            Man thank you for all the pointers! I will keep all that in mind when Im glassing

Comment

My brother-in-law and I drew on the TPWD drawn hunt in 2009. Neither of us had ever hunted Pronghorns & I had never even seen a live one ! He killed one a little over 80" and mine was 77". During our research, we read that an antelope has the vision equivalent of a human looking through 8 power binoculars ! They can SEE ! Beg, borrow &/or steal the best quality binoculars and spotting scope that you can get your hands on. Also - I wouldn't do another hunt without one of those Montana brand folding decoys. It's just not possible to sneak up on them. We made an agreement that we wouldn't shoot one on the 1st day. We located the one that Terry shot on the first day with a small harem of does. He was still in the same area the next morning and Terry killed him at less than 100 yards after walking out into the pasture that we had him located in and laying down in the prone before daylight. I killed mine a couple days later after spotting him and making a play on him, I shot 300 yds. Good luck. Keep us posted.

Comment

Should I get the buck decoy or doe decoy?

Comment

Working...
                                X