Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the draw!! Pronghorn bound

I drew a pronghorn buck tag for unit 111,112,113,114 wooohooo
    Has anyone on here ever hunted Easter Colorado for pronghorn? How big are the pronghorn in that area? I know there are plenty of pronghorn in these units but I didn’t know if they where known to grow some big boys
    (Picture for attention)
    Attached Files

I killed one with an OTC tag in CO about the size of the one in your pic. I would holdout for bigger if I was you. I know ZERO about those units though.....good luck!!

Comment

Yip you should see some Pope & Young animals for sure. One of my favorite animals to work with. Good luck and be safe.

Comment

Congrats! Super jealous of you right now. A bucket list bow hunt for sure

Comment

congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
            I killed one with an OTC tag in CO about the size of the one in your pic. I would holdout for bigger if I was you. I know ZERO about those units though.....good luck!!
            This is the one I shot here in Texas a couple years ago and I would really like to best this guy but I know it’s going to be hard.
            Attached Files

Comment

Good luck. Headed to Douglas, WY in 9 days for a 5 day hunt on private land. Been on my bucket list a long time. Pretty excited!

Trailboss

Comment

Originally posted by trailboss View Post
                Good luck. Headed to Douglas, WY in 9 days for a 5 day hunt on private land. Been on my bucket list a long time. Pretty excited!

Trailboss
                Outfitter or tresspass fee ?

Comment

Here is my colorado buck from last year just south of Pueblo. He went right around 76”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    Outfitter or tresspass fee ?
                    Outfitter - Spearhead Ranch

Comment

Congratulations to you on the draw! I've taken two pronghorn from Colorado, but both were around Hayden. Both were 70+ inch goats. Although I have not hunted eastern Colorado, I have spent a lot of time in that area drooling over the goats running around. You will have a great shot to take a P&Y pronghorn out there.

Comment

Shoot, that's right in my backyard. You going public land or private? Either way, get ready to work your tail off in those units! They can be tough to hunt but they hold some booner goats because they don't hand out a lot of tags and there's a lot of private land.

With the way the weather has been this year, I'd hunt the water holes hard. Get some good pants too cuz you'll be crawling around alot, not a ton of cover.

Decoying can be your best friend there too. Goats are suckers for a decoy.

Hay bale blinds are really popular out that way too.

Plan to shoot a ways out too. A 50+ yard shot is not out of the question there if you're comfortable making that shot.

Good luck!

Comment

Gohunt says 60-70", with 70+ trophy potential. My experience with gohunt is 50/50, so there is a good chance if you get to the right spot, you could definitely be after a 70".

As MountainMan said, there is very little public (Less than 10%). Assuming you are hunting private, I am sure the outfitter or property owner will probably be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Comment

Gohunt says 60-70", with 70+ trophy potential. My experience with gohunt is 50/50, so there is a good chance if you get to the right spot, you could definitely be after a 70".

As MountainMan said, there is very little public (Less than 10%). Assuming you are hunting private, I am sure the outfitter or property owner will probably be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

Comment

Im hunting private land. Its a cattle rancher that I met while up in that area working and we got to talking about how much I like to hunt and he said if I ever drew for the units his land is in I could come hunt free of charge which blew me away so I have been putting in for two years now and got it this year. He said he has about 12,000 acres and there will be a few family members out there hunting too but he said he has never had someone not get a goat as long as there not picky. He did say there have been some huge ones taken off the property but he is not a hunter so he said take that for what it is worth. He said that he will put me right in there path so they will be close shots but Im prepared to shoot 600-700 yards if i need to for a big goat. I just dont want to take a shot at the first one I see and findout that is small for the area. The land owner is not tech savy and doesnt take pictures or text so its only phone conversations but again this is a free hunt so im over the moon for the opportunity. Im doing as much research as I can remotely because of course that is a long long way to go for a scouting trip.

Comment

Working...
                              X