No announcement yet.

Leupold CDS Turrets......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So glad to hear all this, I just ordered two of the ultralight Leupolds for some mountain rifles.

Been reading other places in the interwebs that basically say they are junk.

Comment

In for the input as well. I have a VX-5HD I plan on trying out the CDS dial for. I will chime in when I get it all set up as well.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
        If you have no experience with long range shooting it is a great option to help you shoot past a couple hundred yards. The guys that shoot long range regularly have mentioned they tend to dial their own DOPE instead of being stuck to a fixed parameter, which I agree with.

If you plan on shooting one type of ammo (Hornady Match for example) then get someone to chronograph your rifle with the ammo you plan on using then send that data to Leupold for an extremely accurate dial.

Easy as pie!
        Is that an offer?

I want to say I read extra turrets are only 80 bucks. In the grand scheme of it all that's not much if you change bullets for a different hunt. I'll play with the factory turret and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
          My suggestion is use it for a 1/4 moa knob. That way you can dial in any elevation,temp,wind, bullet, velocity. This is what I’ve done with mine
          Originally posted by McClain View Post
          Highly recomend this approach unless you know you will only use one load at one location at similar environmental conditions. If any of those change, then you are stuck with a system that is not as precise as possible. Lack of confidence in your rig can lead to disappointment at long distances.
          ^This. Leave it MOA, and then get a good ballistics calculator app or device to figure your dope based on current location and conditions.

Comment

Buy a G7 BR2 RF to use with the custom turret. Then you can dial to whatever yardage the RF tells you. It's a great excuse for needing a new rangefinder and it works great.

Comment

No experience with long range. Except for the ole Kentucky hold hold over and Windage. You know.... walk it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                Is that an offer?

I want to say I read extra turrets are only 80 bucks. In the grand scheme of it all that's not much if you change bullets for a different hunt. I'll play with the factory turret and see what happens.
                HAHA guess it depends!!

Comment

If the question is "do they work" then the answer is, they work as well as the information you supply to Leupold. I have them on my .280Rem and they work great to 600 yards.

Comment

I have the Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 on my 6.5 bolt gun. The factory dial for .223 Remington is dead on with the 143 ELD-X out to 400 yards. Past that the 6.5 is flatter, but the turret is also marked in mils so you can dial whatever you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                      I tend to make too many little changes in a load to be stuck within the parameters of a custom dial.
                      I'm in this boat as well... good system as an MOA dial and if you're only going to use one load, fine with the custom dial. I don't foresee myself ever actually getting the custom dial because I play with different loads and can't decide which one is "the one" for the custom dial.

Comment

For those of you who recommend learning your ballistics table backward and forward and tailoring adjustments to your specific environment and making adjustments with a standard knob, would your answer change if the shooter used one load and was only interested in stretching his/her effective range to 400-500 yards for hunting purposes?

I know that you can achieve more precision at long range by being very skilled and experienced at determining your scope adjustment and making said adjustment. I just question whether it's really necessary if you are hunting at intermediate ranges rather than attempting to cut the X at 1,000 yards. Personally, I'd like to extend my effective range to 400-500 yards, but I don't have much interest in shooting beyond that. I've run some calculations, and it doesn't appear that environmentals (aside from wind) make a very big difference at those ranges. My plan was to put a CDS dial on my nest rifle. Would I be better suited by doing otherwise given my intended purposes?

Comment

Originally posted by Slow&Steady View Post
                          For those of you who recommend learning your ballistics table backward and forward and tailoring adjustments to your specific environment and making adjustments with a standard knob, would your answer change if the shooter used one load and was only interested in stretching his/her effective range to 400-500 yards for hunting purposes?

I know that you can achieve more precision at long range by being very skilled and experienced at determining your scope adjustment and making said adjustment. I just question whether it's really necessary if you are hunting at intermediate ranges rather than attempting to cut the X at 1,000 yards. Personally, I'd like to extend my effective range to 400-500 yards, but I don't have much interest in shooting beyond that. I've run some calculations, and it doesn't appear that environmentals (aside from wind) make a very big difference at those ranges. My plan was to put a CDS dial on my nest rifle. Would I be better suited by doing otherwise given my intended purposes?

This is the same boat I’m in. I just want to extend my range. I’m never going to be a “long” range shooter.

Also for you guys that have the dial and use factory ammo, do you use the factory specs from the box? Right now I use the Hornady 140 gr bthp. It will put four shots touching. However I still think I need to chrono my gun as I am shooting it suppressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Chasing_bone View Post
                            This is the same boat I’m in. I just want to extend my range. I’m never going to be a “long” range shooter.

Also for you guys that have the dial and use factory ammo, do you use the factory specs from the box? Right now I use the Hornady 140 gr bthp. It will put four shots touching. However I still think I need to chrono my gun as I am shooting it suppressed.
                            Definitely send it through the chrono.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                              Definitely send it through the chrono.
                              Roger that. That’s what I was thinking as well.

Comment

I don't use a custom turret and don't see myself ever changing to them. However, for those that use them, would you not want to validate trajectory on known distances as well as a chrono before having a turret built. At least that's how I build my charts that are attached to my rifles. Didn't see that in the posts but I apologize if it's already been stated and I missed it.

Comment

Working...
                                X