Prairie Dog Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prairie Dog Rifle

I may get a chance to hunt prairie dogs. What caliber rifle should I use/buy?

I hear that you get a lot of shots over 3 days.

Is it possible to shoot out a barrel? Makes me a bit afraid to spend a lot on a rifle.

My personal favorite is a 220 swift

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

What distance? 100 and under I'd not bother with a centerfire cartridge.

Longer range: technically, any caliber will do, but most people pick low recoiling, small caliber, fast bullets like 223 rem, 204 ruger, 220 swift, .22-250, 224 Valkyrie, etc.

Comment

I have heard of different calibers but boils down to personal preference. One thing struck home was due to the number of shots you will be taking get a caliber that is reasonably priced.

Comment

It depends. You really can't go wrong with a .223. Inexpensive to shoot and the barrel doesn't heat up near as fast. If the dogs are young and stupid .22 magnum or 17 hmr works well at closer ranges. The 22-250 or 220 swift comes in handy for the longer ranges if you are shooting dogs that are spooky and have been shot over recently.

I personally carry a bunch of guns. A rimfire for close range shots. A couple of .223s for intermediate range shots. And a 22-250 or 220 swift for the long range ones. When you get in a really good dog town I usually have three centerfires close at hand. When one barrel gets hot rotate to the next one and keep shooting.

Comment

I'd use a .204 if I were doin it! You can get a Ruger American Predator for around $400, get you a bunch of boxes of bullets, and go to town!

Comment

Depends on the range. Last time I went we had most shots from 400-800. I made an 894 yard shot on one with my 6.5-284. FYI, flying prairie dog parts are awesome at that distance haha. Within 3-400 a 220 swift or 22-250. Even a 243. Yes you can easily shoot a barrel out. Lots of shooting. Lots.

There’s a 22-250 Cooper in the classifieds. If you shoot the barrel out they will install a new one including the barrel for $150

Comment

How much will you be shooting and over what distances? Most serious prairie dog shooters take several rifles so that they don't overheat them and have rigs for longer ranges—for example, a .243 or fast-twist .22-250 is a much better choice for 500+ yard shots than a .223.

LWD

Comment

I use 10/22 under 100 and 223 for farther shots. Although 223 at close range can be very entertaining, especially if you like how they killed the monsters in tremors lol

Comment

I have a Remington 700 VLS 22-250 with a heavy barrel that I may be interested in selling of you are interested.

Comment

If you're looking for an accurate 22 for it, I have a Remington 541-T I'm looking to sell. It's super accurate. Even have a Burris 6-24 Signature series scope on it.

Comment

Your AR is fine Mike.

Or I have a R700 .223 with a bull barrel you can borrow. Takes 8-10k rds to shoot out a .233 barrel. The scope isn’t the best but it will do.

Comment

I ahot a bunch within 100-150 yards with my 17hmr.

Another guy had a 22mag. Good as well.

We were lauching some at 300 yards....more just for bragging rights. The real work was done closer.

Comment

The Model 10 Savage in 22-250 is the ONLY rifle suitable to shoot prairie dogs. If you don't have one, you are simply not "with it".

Lucky for you, I have one for sale ! .

The can of snuff is optional at extra cost !
                            Attached Files

Comment

A 243 with the 87 grain VMax is NASSSSSSTY on p-dogs.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                              X