Moisture barrier behind brick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moisture barrier behind brick

My parents house was flooded in the hurricane and we have gutted the house, tearing out 4' of Sheetrock. The moisture barrier between the brick and the studs is completely saturated and deteriorated.

What is the best way to handle this scenario?

If it's saturated, it's not likely moisture barrier. Could it be some kind of insulation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      If it's saturated, it's not likely moisture barrier. Could it be some kind of insulation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      ^^^ This and unless you demoed the exterior sheathing you would not see the MB. Any pics?

Comment

It's like a fiber board or insulation board with foil sheathing on the outside of it.

Comment

Old fiber/particle board on exterior of studs behind the brick.
          I know what has to happen in order to replace it but just not sure how the powers that be will compensate for it.....
          Was looking at a friends house NW of downtown Houston last week. Interested in the outcome.
          Don't see insurance or FEMA adjusters replacing brick.

Comment

Originally posted by rickgarcia76 View Post
            It's like a fiber board or insulation board with foil sheathing on the outside of it.
            Cit it out, problem will be accidentally loosen brick ties.

You will have to scab back in. If good insurance and high limits, pull brick.

Comment

What exactly is this layer? Water resistive barrier?

I'm guessing it needs to be replaced? No flood insurance, so trying not to tear out brick, but do not want to have problems in the future either.

Comment

You will never be able to properly vapor protect and water proof without pulling brick...

Comment

Originally posted by Czechfish View Post
                  Old fiber/particle board on exterior of studs behind the brick.
                  I know what has to happen in order to replace it but just not sure how the powers that be will compensate for it.....
                  Was looking at a friends house NW of downtown Houston last week. Interested in the outcome.
                  Don't see insurance or FEMA adjusters replacing brick.
                  Tell me what needs to happen please. We need to do the right thing, even if it's more costly.

Comment

Your going to have to identify exactly what the sheathing is for anyone to give you proper advice on how to proceed. Is it jip board, OSB, T-ply, foam board?

Comment

Its the mold you can't see is why you need fully remove brick

Comment

It's not OSB, but I'm not really sure what it is. I'm guessing it's some sort of water restisyive or vapor barrier.

Comment

Depending on when the house was built, I assume its Tuff-R(foam insulated board).

Comment

It sounds like it is the Foil faced Insulation Board. If you remove a piece can you see the brick? or is there wood sheathing in front of it?

Comment

It's the only layer between the studs and brick.

Comment

Working...
                              X