• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
    Enjoy these very much.

Comment

Day 2 - Wednesday, February 24, 1836

The second day of the siege began early with the Texians facing a newly established battery erected by the Mexicans during the night. The battery consisted of two eight-pounders and a howitzer and was located approximately 400 yards to the west of the fort. It was known as the River Battery.

The defenders were busy that night as well. They had captured at least one Mexican soldier and six pack mules during a nighttime patrol. According to Enrique Esparza, the defenders used the captured soldier to decipher bugle calls for the Texians throughout the siege.

Sometime around eleven that morning, Santa Anna began his survey of the Alamo fortifications and surrounding area to familiarize himself with the area.

The Mexican army pillaged the Texian's stores in BĂ©xar and began the bombardment of the Alamo in earnest. The Texian artillery returned fire with no obvious results.

James Bowie, in command of the garrison, fell ill. The garrion's surgeon described his illness as a "A peculiar disease of a peculiar nature." Jim Bowie relinquished his command of the garrison to Travis.

The Alamo's well proved inadequate in supplying the garrison's water needs. This forced the defenders to obtain water from the acequia and reservoir to east of the compound setting the stage for several skirmishes.

Travis penned his "Victory or Death" letter. Defender Albert Martin carried the letter from the Alamo and added his own comments to the back of the document.

To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World

Fellow citizens & compatriots

I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country VICTORY OR DEATH.

William Barret Travis,
      Lt. Col. comdt.

P.S. The Lord is on our side. When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn. We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels and got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.

Comment

Awesome...thanks

Comment

Man that's good stuff Tmag.... Following for sure..

Comment

Favorite thread every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Travis's letters give me chills.

Comment

Wow.. just think, he wasnt comfortable writing that letter from a desk at home or an office, he was under stress of losing his life and that of his men and his confidence, determination and unwavering commitment to their cause.. Awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
                  Wow.. just think, he wasnt comfortable writing that letter from a desk at home or an office, he was under stress of losing his life and that of his men and his confidence, determination and unwavering commitment to their cause.. Awesome!
                  Amen, all heroes for sure.

Comment

And people wonder why Texans are so proud ? !!

Comment

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
                      And people wonder why Texans are so proud ? !!
                      exactly!

Comment

P.S. The Lord is on our side. When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn. We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels and got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.

This is my favorite part of the letter. "The Lord is on our side!"

Comment

My great grandfather (James George) was a volunteer at the Battle of Gonzales. He brought 2 oxen pulling a trailer filled with 2 bushels of peas to Gonzales Tx. The battle of Gonzales was essentially a battle between Mexico & Gonzales over a cannon (come and take it cannon) that was given to the residents of Gonzales to ward off comanche raids. Once the Texans defeated the Mexican Dragons at the battle of Gonzales, James George was asked to go and fight at the Alamo, He was also the person who transported the come and take it cannon to the Alamo with his oxen and trailer mentioned earlier. The Texas Government offered James a league of land (4,438 Acres) on Plum creek near Lockhart Tx. to arrive and fight at the Alamo. Unfortunately, James and his comerades all died at the Alamo, the land went to James' wife and children from which I decend. James' wife remarried and the land is still owned by that family to this day.

Comment

Day 3 - Thursday, February 25, 1836

The morning of February 25, 1836 dawned with summer-like temperatures opening one of the most eventful days of the siege.

The Mexicans launched an attack with approximately 400 - 450 soldiers personally led by General Castrillon. The Matamoros Battalion and three companies of cazadores made up the attacking force. They came from the area of the river battery through Pueblo de Valero's jacales and buildings advancing to within 50-100 yards from the Alamo's walls.

After two hours of fighting, The Texians finally forced a Mexican withdrawal using the ditches and outworks. They inflicted only light casualties on their attackers. Sometime during the fighting, Texian sorties burned the jacales closest to the Alamo. At the same time, the Mexicans established new fortifications near the McMullen house.

As the Mexicans advanced through the pueblo, they discovered a young woman and her mother in one of the houses. Although already married, Santa Anna took advantage of the situation, arranged a false marriage, and quickly consummated the relationship.

That night, the temperatures dropped into the 30's. Under the cover of darkness, William B. Travis sent Colonel Juan Seguin to find General Houston and ask for help. The defenders ventured out again burning even more jacales. There is some evidence that at least nine men deserted the garrison and gave information to Santa Anna where the Texians had hidden at least 50 rifles.

The day's fighting was not a victory for the Texians. The Mexicans had established artillery and infantry entrenchments in La Villita and the Alameda, but the Texians proved that as unorganized as they were, they could fight.

Comment

Hey - Here's day 3!

Comment

Where would the McMullen House have been on the map at Post 1?

Today showed not only that they could fight but also that they dang well would!

Comment

Working...
                                X