winch and pole beds....DIY queston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

winch and pole beds....DIY queston

Anyone put one together? Looking for ideas to use on my 3/4 ton with a flatbed. Some one always has a better way and curious to see pics

Not much to it, just make sure your gin poles will tote the weight you require. You would have to fabricate some "ears" to attatch the poles to the bed, put a block in the center/back, some kind of A-frame to hold your poles together at the top, another block for the A-frame and you're done. Easy !

Look at some on a big truck, then downsize to fit your application.

Comment

There is more to it than that if you want a good set up. It is critical where the pivots are, the bed pulley and the height of the pulley. Look on the welding web for threads on mine. It is the finest one I've ever seen. It's been in use on 2 different trucks for over 30 years now. It stands itself up, lowers itself back, adjust your hold back lines from one side and adjusts from 10' to 19' in just a couple minutes. The first picture is with it extended to 15' and the second is with it at the normal 10'.
      Attached Files

Comment

^ I've seen this one in action.

listen to the pro.

Comment

Don't forget your kick back chains incase you break your main line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Draco I am interested if you dont mind sharing. I would like to learn a good set up for a small truck. I have been around the big trucks and was a swamper on one 25-ish yrs ago. Do you have more pics to share and explain pully size/placement?

Comment

I just saw the welding web part Draco. I will go find.
              Thx

Comment

In

Comment

There is two threads, one by me and one by Irish. Both have a lot of information.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                    There is two threads, one by me and one by Irish. Both have a lot of information.

Same user name? Search turns up nothing

Comment

Draco do you have any pics or ideas on how to setup using a pickup bed? My flatbed plans fell through. I figure the pole mounts would be welded to my after marked bumper. I could have a mount come of from the frame at front of bed or utilize the turn over ball socket as a mount point for something? I need to rig up something that is removable too. Any ideas?

Comment

Not a clue on doing that. I have built 3 on flat beds but none on pick up beds. It seems you would need a head ache rack mounted to the frame, to build the winch stand on and have the hold backs on. The pivot point of the poles and the pulley should be over the leaf springs or you may bend the back of the frame. It would also give the weight being picked up, more leverage. Sorry, I got no idea.

Comment

Following

Comment

I’ve built a few that go inside the bed. What kind of truck do you have?

Comment

Working...
                            X