Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tactical Bolt Guns, Which one for 1500 or less?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qzilla View Post
    I am assuming you are going to be shooting full power ammo through a can?

Or are you going to build a dedicated subsonic rifle?

I am building the latter right now but, it has a 16" barrel. I always build, that way I get what I really want. I love the LTR's and have several the all shoot good but, they do not all shoot like a custom gun.
    Quad...who is your smith of choice for building turn bolts. I have used Mike Bryant and Jim Borden w/ excellent results.

Also, What sub dedicated are you thinking of?? I have shot several but none of them ever got me wound up. The 300 whisper was pretty neat but to me a 22lr w/ sub sonic ammo is really what shines. (i'm talking for pure varmint hunting applications)

I have found the thump of the impact regardless of caliber sends the animals fleeing anyway, so for centerfire, I probably won't mess with one for now. I'm hoping to have my suppressed sbr here by Christmas.

Comment

Well I was a really big sg&y (speedy gonzales) fan but he is not doing it any longer.

I have a bunch of rifles from Shawn Carlock at defensive edge and every gun he builds is a shooter! He is also priced better usually.

I also have some gaps and for that style rifle they are hard to beat.

I prefer 308 And 300 whisper subsonic stuff. Sure the splat bothers animals surrounding the one that I shoot but they usually come right back. I consider it as effective as archery equipment for not spooking stuff. I know I shot a bobcat and 30 seconds later I whacked a coyote!

I am playing a lot with 6.5 stuff right now too. Haven't found anything I like as much as my 257wby but I am building a 16" 260rem so we will see.

Comment

Sumpin like this...

Comment

Originally posted by qzilla View Post
          I am playing a lot with 6.5 stuff right now too. Haven't found anything I like as much as my 257wby but I am building a 16" 260rem so we will see.

Take a peak at the 7mm lazzeroni or 7.21 firebird....it's like a 257wby on roids. I have not found anything that can shoot as flat. It's very overbore w/ 99gr of powder with a 120gr bullet. You can figure only 800-900 rounds before erosion takes a toll but we only shoot it a handfull of times a year. Really more of an entertainment or novelty for long range does. Mine is built on sako's monster action and a 30" hart bbl. We are getting swift speed over the 35P chrony.

I've alway wanted to build a mountain 6.5x55 for rattling. I love that cal!!

Travis, I'm in agreement w/ the custom route. The factory guns coming out today are really sweet but nothing compares to building your own exactly as you want. I can highly recomment Mike Bryant for top notch bolt work.

Comment

Artos,

Tell me more about this 7mm/7.21. I wonder if you could get similar results from a 6.5mm round. I am a bit of a 6.5mm junkie.

Quad, what are you setting up the custom 260 for? Is it going to be standard or Ackley Improved? I have read a lot about the AI version of the 260.

Comment

Mike,

The lazz line is on his own proprietary case (non belted) I shoot his 120gr lazerhead bullet which is a barnes triple x x x undersized slightly and nickel coated. The are zipping along right under 3900fps. Talking about a 5" line of sight out to 400 yards if properly zero'd. You reallly need a long tube to use all the powder and why we ended up with a 30" bbl. Dad and I have talked about a can to help with the vicious muzzle blast, but it's already so long and we shoot it very few times. (like $5 every bang)

It's already overbore so you can imagine a smaller diameter just adding to it. Unless you have your mind set on a super speed 6.5, check out the 6.5x55. You can get Lapua brass for it & the improved version would be neat too. 6.5-06 would be a cool round. The long range boys like the 6.5's bc and have several neat cartridges around wildcats. You need to take into consideration the cost of reloading dies and special cases. Initial start up can be more on the exotic rounds. I've also have moved away from rounds that involve any extra forming and really glad nosler has come out w/ 280AI cases ready to go. Also no more tight necks for hunting guns.

Comment

Comment

Remington 700 PSS or LTR. You can have them threaded for 150.
                  X2 I have the PSS and a buddy has the LTR. 700 action is solid and easy to work on, good supply of aftermarket build ons. Can get the action, stock, barrel, trigger, and smithing work done for around $1500, then put another $1500 in nightforce glass on top and you are good to go.

Comment

I am a savage fan as well. You can build what you want how you want. I myself am working up loads for my 257 Hot Tamale, or also known as a 25 STW. Yes I have reached over 4000 fps with it but not accurately. Have slowed it down to 3900 fps and an amazed. I am not a bench shooter just a hunter so it will last me a long time. Just food for thought! Did the whole build in my Bow shop behind the house. You can do it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                      Mike,

The lazz line is on his own proprietary case (non belted) I shoot his 120gr lazerhead bullet which is a barnes triple x x x undersized slightly and nickel coated. The are zipping along right under 3900fps. Talking about a 5" line of sight out to 400 yards if properly zero'd. You reallly need a long tube to use all the powder and why we ended up with a 30" bbl. Dad and I have talked about a can to help with the vicious muzzle blast, but it's already so long and we shoot it very few times. (like $5 every bang)

It's already overbore so you can imagine a smaller diameter just adding to it. Unless you have your mind set on a super speed 6.5, check out the 6.5x55. You can get Lapua brass for it & the improved version would be neat too. 6.5-06 would be a cool round. The long range boys like the 6.5's bc and have several neat cartridges around wildcats. You need to take into consideration the cost of reloading dies and special cases. Initial start up can be more on the exotic rounds. I've also have moved away from rounds that involve any extra forming and really glad nosler has come out w/ 280AI cases ready to go. Also no more tight necks for hunting guns.
                      Well I am having a 28" long 6.5-284 barrel built for my Encore as we speak.

I really would like to build a screaming 6.5mm. I know a little about the Lazzeroni rounds, I just thought this was a wildcat you were talking about.

I have looked at the 6.5-300WSM but it is a pretty severely overbored round as well. But, in talking to Match Grade Machine, I could build the barrel on a long action throat and in the even throat wear became a problem, the could re ream the chamber and shorten the face of the barrel and get another set of rounds through it before trashing the barrel. I may not be saying the exact right terms but that is what I gathered from what he was telling me. I have also looked into the 6.5-300 Weatherby Mag as well, but again, substantially overbored.

I dunno, I am going to play with this 6.5-284 as I have been wanting to build one for a long time and see where to go from there.

Originally posted by konahoss View Post
                      I am a Savage fan, but IMO that is a butt ugly gun.

Comment

Anyone ever souped up a T/C pro hunter with a suppressor? I know it's a single shot, but, I could do multiple barrells. Seen a couple on arfcom. Anyone?

Comment

I have a Contender in 300 Whisper. Fun gun but, lacks the range with super sonic ammo compared to the 308.

You want a long range subsonic gun it will have to be something like a 338 whisper or a 510 whisper. I know the 510 whisper does not give up any velocity from the muzzle for a long time because of the BC of the bullet it shoots (750gr Amax).

I like 308 but, it is not a great subsonic cartidge yet. It is getting better but, not there I don't believe.

Just depends on what you really want. If you did a T/C you could have a theaded 308 and threaded 300whisper??

Comment

Did you see this one?

Comment

Choate Tactical Savage $650 + scope = done

It's a Savage, os you don't have to worry about rebarreling, restocking, blueprinting, Sako Extractor, M16 whatevering it. Just shoot it.

Savage has been winning shooting matches.

Comment

You might look at the Winchester Model 70 SA .308 in the Heavy Varmint, I have one with a Leupold Mark 4 16x-40mm that will shoot 1/4moa at 100 & 200yrds and 1/2moa out to 500yrds. I got the trigger down to 9oz and it's very consistent

I'm working on some new loads, I've been shooting 44grs of Varget pushing a 175gr pill, now I've started working with Reloaded-15 and the 168gr V-max. I don't think you can beat 43-44grs of Varget behind a 175 SMK about .018 jump.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Archermike2605; 11-11-2009, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X