Hey Oilfield Guys!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
    It aint how much you make, it is how much you keep!!!
    True to a certain extent. But you have to make a decent amount of money to be able to save. So you need to make enough to keep some.

Comment

Originally posted by JMalin View Post
      What you fail to see is the billions consumers save on energy collectively will be spent elsewhere or (ghasp!) saved.

Lol nothing gets saved.
      Attached Files

Comment

I do. But I'm not self absorbed enough to wish for others to pay higher prices for energy so I can continue working in this industry. There are always other opportunities.
        I'd check in the mirror and make sure I didn't have stupid tattooed on my forehead.

Comment

What you don't see is that when the price of oil is at a sustainable price point it employs millions. Truck drivers, machine shops, rope soap and beans dealers, construction, home sales, etc. When we stop working we stop buying from those people and they start laying off. Oklahoma and Texas in the mid 80's were skeletons of what they were in the 70's. There is a huge interdependence in the oil producing states on the oil industry and other industries.

But, you can enjoy your cheap gas while it lasts

Comment

I do. But I'm not self absorbed enough to wish for others to pay higher prices for energy so I can continue working in this industry. There are always other opportunities.
            I don't think I'm self absorbed, I would just like to keep my job.

Comment

JMalin,

The poor state (about 2 million population) that I reside in gets about 2 billion per year to the state budget from O&G revenues. Imagine what all that goes to.

The government in general is a major beneficiary of O&G.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                True to a certain extent. But you have to make a decent amount of money to be able to save. So you need to make enough to keep some.
                Therein lies the dilemma.........what is a "decent amount of money?" Not that I don't agree/understand your statement but my post was not aimed at lower income folks as this was about oil industry employees.

Comment

Originally posted by asttbe View Post
                  What you don't see is that when the price of oil is at a sustainable price point it employs millions. Truck drivers, machine shops, rope soap and beans dealers, construction, home sales, etc. When we stop working we stop buying from those people and they start laying off. Oklahoma and Texas in the mid 80's were skeletons of what they were in the 70's. There is a huge interdependence in the oil producing states on the oil industry and other industries.

But, you can enjoy your cheap gas while it lasts
                  People will continue to by goods and services when the price of them fall in line with what they are earning. Market forces go both ways. As someone that does save, and is wanting to buy a home within the next few years, I'd welcome lower prices.
                  Last edited by JMalin; 11-30-2014, 01:26 PM.

Comment

You must have missed the last couple of busts. Bumper stickers were saying "Would the last person leaving Oklahoma, please turn out the lights" That is one state that has never recovered from the early 80's.

Comment

Just give me two good years to get ahead and figure out what I really want to do with my life lol. I don't foresee cheap oil any time soon with America's addiction to spending/debt along with reckless monetary policy, but who knows? Maybe all the production going on will finally catch up and a glut of supply will bring prices down.

So, if I do want to make a career in the oil patch, what are some jobs that'll be around regardless if prices fall?
                      Oil prices are not driven by American spending nor monetary policy. Respectfully, just sit back and listen to the people who've been there. Learn from history and from what is yet to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                        Oil prices are not driven by American spending nor monetary policy. Respectfully, just sit back and listen to the people who've been there. Learn from history and from what is yet to come.
                        That's laughable! So 20% interest rates of the 80's had nothing to do with oil's crash?

Comment

That's laughable! So 20% interest rates of the 80's had nothing to do with oil's crash?
                          I think you misunderstood he never said oil prices dont affect spending and monetary policy. He only stated our spending and policy don't drive oil prices and he is right. Little outside of OPEC and their output affects oil prices.

Comment

It had everything to do with it....That's the point. Oil prices are not driven by American spending or monetary policy, however American spending and monetary policy are affected by oil prices. In this state, more than the oil industry and consumer spending at the pump is affected by oil prices.

I buy about 50,000 gallons of diesel every month. While I'd love to pay less for it, I don't want to pay $2/gal for diesel for only 5,000 gallons due to the fact that there is no development on which to burn 50,000 gal of diesel. My guys saving money on gas doesn't really help them if they don't need gas to drive to work, because they don't have a job.

Comment

In 2011 oil and gas contributed 1,938,700 jobs and 20% of the workforce income to the state of Texas alone.

Thinking a bust in the oilfield will not effect every day life of people in the state not associated with the industry is the very definition of naïveté.

The high school football stadiums in Katy and Cy-Fair school districts will go away, just for example. There won't be the tax revenue to support them.

Comment

And greenspan's monetary easing during the collapse of the tech bubble had nothing to do with oil's run from $20 to $150 from 2000 to 2008. Okay

Comment

Working...
                                X