Hilltop Lakes 2016-2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
    Those pics are killing me My lot is so, so far from being huntable. I'm hoping this Saturday I might have another chance to go hack on the vines.

I remember that feeling well! It won't take your setup long to become established.

Life is too short, live it to its fullest!

~Michael

Comment

That bobcat/squirrel picture is awesome!

I need to make a trip up. I'm sure I am out of corn.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
        That bobcat/squirrel picture is awesome!

I need to make a trip up. I'm sure I am out of corn.
        I was digging it. If I ever see it out there I do believe I will just watch it. I only stick what I will eat...

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
          I remember that feeling well! It won't take your setup long to become established.

~Michael
          What did you (or others) do to get your lot cleared? I'm thinking maybe I should host a lot clearing party. Have a generator, margarita machine and plenty of coolers for ice and beer

Comment

Me and BenBen got in there with rake and machete. Took five hours or so of nonstop work.

~Michael

Comment

It was chain saw and loppers for me. Took a couple trips with 5 hours of work each trip.

Comment

Correction bud, we did use loppers. We traded off who was behind them though Ben was behind them MUCH longer than me!

~Michael

Comment

TR,
                  It all depends on the size of your lot, how many set's you want to hunt and WHO will be hunting YOUR lot that should determine what equipment is used to clear your set. Mike and I had plenty of equipment but we mainly used loppers. I used a pole saw for 5 min on the backside of Mikes set.

Don't over think your spot. Set it up for you and your family. Don't worry about how others may or may not hunt it and that will help you greatly.

Comment

Many, many thanks again brother! I could not have gotten mine done w/o you

~Michael

Comment

The Hill is getting pounded on now

~Michael

Comment

Next trip up I need to borrow or rent a trailer from somebody. This way is for the birds. Making progress though.

My plan is to cut a V into the lot starting at each corner with the center cleared enough for the feeder. I can put a ladder stand on one of the oak trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Swing by and grab mine anytime. The place is looking good bud!

~Michael

Comment

I used loppers and a gas pole saw for the high stuff. Mine was already about a third of the way cleared though and I do a little trimming every once in awhile.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post

My plan is to cut a V into the lot starting at each corner with the center cleared enough for the feeder. I can put a ladder stand on one of the oak trees.

This is just me but, your place is ready for a feeder and stand now. They will trample and kill all vegetation within its throw radius.

~Michael

Comment

Hilltop Lakes 2016-2017

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
                                This is just me but, your place is ready for a feeder and stand now. They will trample and kill all vegetation within its throw radius.

~Michael

Yeah, I may bring the feeder up in a week or two. Under brushing sure would be easier in winter. All this rain has everything exploding. I walked though and cut a lot of stuff that I did not bother to haul out. Next time all the leaves will be dead on that stuff making it a little easier.

Nice part is I started noticing definite hog tunnels in the thick stuff with tracks to confirm it. What looks like impenetrable gunch still has wildlife apparently.

Comment

Working...
                                X