Which camera and lens to buy???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which camera and lens to buy???

Hello TBH's I have looked at your pictures on this site for a while now and finally decided to pull the trigger on a new DSLR and lens or lenses. I am new to the hobby and would like some input on what equipment to purchase. I am partial to Nikon equipt. I have a budget of around $3k. I would like to buy top of the line equipment to start with. I do realize that good equipment does not make you a good photographer, but it sure gives you a head start. I guess my subject most common will be my 2 year old son. Please let me know your reccomendations.

I'm not as familiar with pricing on Nikon and Nikkor equipment as I am with Canon. If I were in your shoes and Canon was an option I would buy the following used from B&H, Adorama or FredMiranda:

Canon 40D - $650
    Canon 580 flash - $350
    Canon 85 f1.8 - $300
    Canon 17-55IS f2.8 - $800
    Canon 70-200 f4L - $500
    Canon 1.4x TC - $200
    Good Pack - $100
    Extra Cards, diffuser, etc. - $100

That gets you to $3,000. Some of the stuff can be found cheaper if you are patient and keep your eyes open. Save a little here and there and you could add a Canon 50 f1.8 for $75 or $80. That would get you a pretty good kit with lenses that are quality and have a fairly stable market value should you decide you want to sell one and get something different.

Comment

Me personally I'd pick a starter body and spring for higher quality lenses and photoshop along with irfanview for simple editing. Just my opinion.

I have an EOS Rebel XTi and have a 70-200 f2.8L IS and will soon own a 24-105 f4.0L IS.

As far as brands. You cant go wrong with Canon, Nikon, Olympus, etc. All have great features and can cause more arguments than which bow brand is better. It's all a matter of opinion and everyone's is right.

Comment

3K shopping spree?

Nice play... factor in a decent tripod as well... with the quality stuff you are about to buy, you will want that extra level of sharpness.

Comment

Not uncommon, that dang ADHD gets me alot. I have been leaning towards a Nikon D90 body and a Nikon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF-S Zoom Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Autofocus Lens to start with. From all the reading this seems to be a pretty good set up for all around photography. Also I have the Adobe Lightroom 2 program. Is this a good setup ???

Comment

You'll be just fine with that setup. Legdog's right. Spring for a decent tripod. It's the only thing I'm lacking in my arsenal well unless you add wireless remote, 50D body and 100-300 f2.8L IS.

Comment

Originally posted by mesquitecountry View Post
              Me personally I'd pick a starter body and spring for higher quality lenses and photoshop along with irfanview for simple editing. Just my opinion.
              Spot on....that said - The D90 is a tremendous body.

Most guys get caught up in mega pixels. OVERRATED!!! 6 MP is more than enough. Build your system around your glass NOT your body. Try to determine what you would most likely use the DSLR for; kids sporting activities (70-200 f/2.8 VR), portrait (24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR ED), low light (50 mm f1.4 or 50 mm f/1.8 {the 1.8 is probably a better buy for the $$}), etc. Once you have narrowed down what you want to shoot - you'll know what lenses to pursue.

Another option is to purchase the D90, sell the kit lens and replace it w/18-200 VR to get started. There are limitations to going w/an all in one lens, but it's doubtful as a beginner that you will be able to exploit them. You can also buy a 50 mm f/1.8 for low light, an external flash, and a tripod.

I wouldn't buy any other DSLR except for Nikon or Canon. I shoot Nikon myself and am very pleased.

Comment

As a Nikon shooter for many years, if I had 3 grand to spend on equipment today to get started and wanted to buy the best I could for that money I would buy the following:
                Nikon D300 - approx $1700
                Nikon 18-200 VR - approx $700 (based only on what you said your main subject is, kids)
                Nikon SB900 flash - approx 475

I would recommend a nice tripod but if you are shooting mostly kids, you will never have the camera on a tripod because they are not stationary enough to use one.
                As far as lenses go, I have the 18-200 VR and it is the best walk around, all purpose lens I have ever owned. It covers the most popular zoom ranges that you would use, especially with shooting your kids, and the VR functionality is really nice, especially since this is not a fast lens and if you are shooting in lower light it comes in really handy.
                If your subject matter was something different like primarily landscape or wildlife photography then my lens recommendations would be totally different.
                Definitely get the flash. A lot of people overlook the external flashes since a lot of the DSLR's at the consumer level today have built in flash. Today, the external flashes are totally integrated with the cameras and very easy to use. If you are taking pictures of your kids, you will want to have the ability to take the flash off the camera and use it in a lot of creative ways.
                Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by outlaw38 View Post
                  Not uncommon, that dang ADHD gets me alot. I have been leaning towards a Nikon D90 body and a Nikon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF-S Zoom Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Autofocus Lens to start with. From all the reading this seems to be a pretty good set up for all around photography. Also I have the Adobe Lightroom 2 program. Is this a good setup ???

I have the D90, it is WONDERFUL. I havn't had any problems with it at all, very top of the line DX camera from Nikon.
                  And I am jealous that you have lighroom 2, GREAT program.. and is on my list to buy.

The Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED is a GREAT standard lens to start out with. It is pretty mid range, not too great of really zoomed in close-ups for the outdoors, but seems like a great staple lens to have for every day shooting....

As for lenses.... Well how about I tell you what is on my future purchase list:

Wind angle (zoom) - AF-S DX Zoom-NIKKOR 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED, it isn't quite as sexy as the new 14-24 f/2.8, but that is a lot of glass to handle for your first lens, and it is better suited for an FX camera (D300, D3... etc)

Macro - Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 Macro AF-S VR, actually a great Macro and an excellent mid-range and nice portrait shooting. (I am purchasing this one soon, within a week or 2)

Fisheye - (for fun... maybe an "eventually" lens... )
                  AF DX Fisheye-NIKKOR 10.5mm f/2.8G ED
                  AF Fisheye-NIKKOR 16mm f/2.8D
                  (I haven't chosen which one I want just yet)

Supertelephoto - The ultra sexy AF-S VR NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED... but I am no where ready to drop the money for that one yet.

Well, hopefully this helps.
                  PM or e-mail me if you have any more questions.

Comment

Can't go wrong with either the D90 or the D300. The D90 is easier for someone new to photography to use. It has more auto and programed settings. The D300 is a more manually functioning camera. The D90 shoots video as well. The D90 runs about $1000. The D300 is about $600 -$700 more expensive.

The 18-200 is a very versatile lens. I have one, and it is my walking around lens. It will take great pictures in bright light, but not so much when the light fades. Cost is about $700.

The 24-70 f 2.8 that Hilly mentioned, is an outstanding lens. It's what I use for portrait work. It's so sharp that you can cut yourself with it. It will set you back about $1700.

The 70-200 f2.8 is probably the best telephoto lens out there. If you plan on shooting sports, this is the lens you want. It's about $1900 now.

The 24-70 and the 70-200 are FX glass. The 18-200 is not, it's a DX lens. If you ever plan on upgrading to a full frame camera such as a D3x, the 18-200 will only work at a reduced MP setting. (Something to think about)

The Sb-900 flash is also a great performer. It is plenty powerful and versatile. It is easy to change modes, from on camera, to using it as a remote flash. It will run you about $450.

Lightroom 2 is a great program. It does most everything that I need. It just doesn't have the layers option that photoshop CS4 does.

Good Luck. The photography bug is as strong as the bowhunting bug.
                    Last edited by scotty; 04-16-2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X