Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AR Deer Hunting w/Walker Beagles? Whatcha' think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seen videos of this kind of hunt and personals didn't care for it. But if given the chance I would try it. I don't think it's any more or less ethical than ringing the dinner bell and watching the deer come to you. The main thing I didn't like was there seemed to be a higher injured deer, not recovered rate. Go do it, have fun and post some pics!

Comment

I can still hear the race start up in the bottoms outside Leola Arkansas, along with the whistle from the sawmill. Back then (1970s) the season was only a couple weeks long, doe days were the Thanksgiving weekend and if my memory serves me correctly every other year. The guys on the lease didnt make a lot of money anyway so they hunted for maximum meat in the freezer. I don't know what the lease fees were then, first year I had to pay (1982) I think it was $125.

Also important was the evening ritual of going to round up the dogs, hit other camps and see what was killed that day and hope someone had shot a deer in front of your dogs and offered up the usual 1/2 of the deer. My dad had beagles, others in the camp had beagles and/or walkers.

The good times can't be replaced.

Comment

Go and have fun! Never done it but love running dogs on everything else.

Comment

Go do it and have a blast. I've killed many deer in front of a pack of dogs in North Carolina, though most I killed were slipping out the side of the block we were hunting. I love to hear a pack in full cry. If it's an old deer, he's going to go down in the swamps and thickets and tack round and round, not coming into the open to give anyone a shot. You still have to know where to set up, most of the oldtimers will have an idea where the deer will run. I recommend a full choked 12 ga with either 00 buck or #1 buck, with the 00 being my favorite.
          Last edited by Phillip Fields; 11-09-2017, 12:46 PM.

Comment

You guys have changed my opinion, and these posts have been fantastic.

I will take some pictures and share them on Tuesday morning, so be sure to look for this thread, and I'll also share my experience.

thank you ALL!

Comment

Mr. Fields hit it on the head, the dogs were used to keep the deer moving, not often was a deer shot in front of the dogs. Similar to the feeder strategy used here, if we didn't have feeders, you would never see a deer. No, I'm not hating on feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by LennyWayne View Post
                wow...I'm surprised at the responses so far, and REALLY appreciate the encouragement. I'm 50 years old, and have been hunting in Texas my whole life.

I am having a hard time with this, but the positive feedback really does take some of the stress off of my decision.

Good luck to you all, and keep the comments coming, as I'm interested in hearing the opinions.
                It is legal there and given the opportunity I would certainly jump on it. From someone stating earlier that it isnt fair. But it is certainly more sport in it than hunting in a blind over food. How many deer get away compared to getting killed? I am sure the deer get away their fair share as well. Watching good dogs work in any aspect is my favorite thing to do.

Comment

Its legal and a part of the traditions of where your going so absolutely do it with a clear conscious! I am all about experiencing things new things in new places!

I did it a few times when it was still legal in East Texas. Remember it being a big social gathering and a good time. I never killed any doing it but others did. It definitely isn't a slam dunk hunt!

Enjoy it and take some pics for a report when you get back!

Comment

Im sure coyotes and wolves dont think their method of hunting is 'unsporting'.

Comment

Personally wouldn't do it for any game animal, but it's really up to the individual.

Comment

Not a fan...Why? Is is that tough get a deer hunting in a blind over a trail or something?

Comment

Back in the 80's I was invited to a hunting club in Arkansas around El Dorado. That is the way they hunted - in fact to be a member you had to own at least 3 deer dogs. We all went out to our stands then somebody would take the dogs out and turn them loose. I have to say it was exciting to hear the dogs when they got on a deer and wondering what they might chase in your direction. They were really old school - they didn't shoot does but if it had any antlers at all, BOOM! Not my favorite way to hunt but it was fun to do once.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
                            I'm sure it can get the heart pumping, having another animal chase your target and seeing them scatter for their lives. I'm curious though, if it's more difficult what sort of preparation is needed? Do you have to scout? Trail cams? Temp matter? Wind direction matter? Because from the sound of it, all that is uneeded. Sounds like on any given day you can let the dogs loose and have a real life arcade (Like one of the games at Bass Pro Shops)
                            Why so quick to totally criticize/dismiss a tradition that you know nothing of?

Comment

I would try it.

Comment

Never been a fan of "Hunting" by running dogs. It's an extremely unfair and successful method that I would only think would be needed in a famine or serious survival situation. I know that if I harvested a deer with that method I wouldn't feel too proud or that I accomplished anything. Just my 2 pesos
                                I'm sure it can get the heart pumping, having another animal chase your target and seeing them scatter for their lives. I'm curious though, if it's more difficult what sort of preparation is needed? Do you have to scout? Trail cams? Temp matter? Wind direction matter? Because from the sound of it, all that is uneeded. Sounds like on any given day you can let the dogs loose and have a real life arcade (Like one of the games at Bass Pro Shops)
                                Originally posted by boy wonder View Post
                                Why so quick to totally criticize/dismiss a tradition that you know nothing of?
                                EXACTLY!!
                                He jumped right in there bashing right away while all the time admitting he'd never actually been on a hunt like this... knows absolutely nothing about what to do to hunt with dogs, and nothing about what is required to be successful... You know this is the perfect illustrations about the similarities between opinions and *******s... Some of the young folks on here should probably take up the tension on their triggers a bit... They might learn something...

OP: I grew up hunting this way, and let me tell you, there's nothing more exciting than to hear the hounds on a hot trail... My family raised several breeds for hunting deer, but mostly Walker's and Redbones... They've got a bark like nothing else in the woods... I still have my grandpa's horn and it's one of my most cherished possessions because of the memories it brings back... My first good buck is hanging on my wall right now that my dad got mounted for me... I killed him with a brand new Browning 3" magnum shotgun he bought me for Christmas... Don't know who was more proud... me for getting the buck, or my dad seeing me do it... You go have a great time and absorb it all in! You'll likely make memories that will be with you the rest of your life!

Of course, it's not legal in Texas any longer and it's a dying sport, but it is sure fun, and a bigger challenge than sitting over a feeder as far as being able to dependably kill a deer. I can tell you that from close to 50 years experience at doing both... I no longer hunt that way, and I do prefer the way it is now... that the dogs aren't in the woods running deer, but in my younger days, there was no more fun times than deer camp, with the dogs tied up at the edge of the light, and all the men sitting around the campfire telling stories, then finally going to bed on a pallet on the ground and so excited there's no way to possibly go to sleep...

You go have fun and come back and tell us about it... Oh yea, and yes, pics or it didn't happen!

Comment

Working...
                                X