No announcement yet.

Hanging a deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandfather, uncles and even dad says head down, it bleeds the deer better is what I am told...

Comment

Gutting on the ground is pretty easy, the guts just roll out. Then hang the deer head down, the back legs gives you more to use as hanging contacts, plus when you spread the legs you can get to everything else inside, especially separating in the hind-quarters and pelvis. Skin all off, it winds up around base of the head, then just cut it all off. Split the chest all the way down after skinning, everything cools down very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
        I gut them laying down sideways...and let the processor skin it. I don’t have the patience to process the meat myself nor the equipment.

Ditto.

Comment

Surprised that some folks don't even skin it. I haven't used a processor in 4 years but even if I did I'd never want them charging me a skinning/processing fee.

I don't gut my deer. Haven't in 4-5 years. Hang them by their back legs and get to work. Easy peasy. And yes, I get the tenderloins every time.
          Last edited by HoustonHunter; 11-13-2017, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
            Surprised that some folks don't even skin it. I haven't used a processor in 4 years but even if I did I'd never want them charging me a skinning/processing fee.

I don't gut my deer. Haven't in 4-5 years. Hang them by their back legs and get to work. Easy peasy. And yes, I get the tenderloins every time.
            Sounds like someone needs to make a video for us to watch.

Comment

Thanks fellas. Interesting bread. I gut in the ground and hand by the back legs if I’m gonna quarter it out. If I’m headed to a processor I just gut it on the ground. Can gut a deer in less than 5 minutes

Comment

This. Had no clue that people didn’t skin their own deer, I’ve only gutted a couple deer in my life because I was taught the gutless method since I was little, I’d never leave the tenderloins either

Comment

Same here.

Comment

The only time I gut in the field is when I am having trouble loading with the guts in, or it is warm and will be a while before my ride comes. Hang them head high and usually tie a leg off to a tree to prevent spinning. Use large tree branch shears for all bone cuts. I don't hang em and let them bleed or age so not sure if that would change my approach.

Sent from my SM-T377T using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't gut my deer either and can skin them pretty quick. Also take the tenderloins every time

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                        The only time I gut in the field is when I am having trouble loading with the guts in, or it is warm and will be a while before my ride comes. Hang them head high and usually tie a leg off to a tree to prevent spinning. Use large tree branch shears for all bone cuts. I don't hang em and let them bleed or age so not sure if that would change my approach.

I used loppers for 10+ years. Get you a cordless sawzall and watch how the game has been changed !

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                          I used loppers for 10+ years. Get you a cordless sawzall and watch how the game has been changed !
                          The shears are almost as quick I have found. I moved to them from a sawzall, I got tired of dead batteries, or extension cords and blades full of ****!

Some of the guys at camp still use the sawzall, maybe that is why I always found dead batteries and nasty blades!

Comment

The only time I ever hang one by the hind legs to skin is when I want the cape for mounting the head. Otherwise, I hang by the head with the rope or chain tied around the head at the jaw line. I ring the neck and split it to the brisket, then out to the front legs down to each knee and disjoint with my knife. If the animal is gutted, I join the leg cuts with the gut cut otherwise just split the hide down the belly middle and over to each hind quarter to the joint below the Achilles tendon/knee and disjoint below that joint. Then I skin it off and once skinned, the animal is MUCH easier quartered/disjointed without risk of dropping a quarter on the ground/floor. If the deer is not gutted after I've skinned and removed all the other meat, I slip my knife between the backbone and tender loins and remove them out the side leaving the gut cavity intact. There are many advantages to me by hanging by the head. After you learn how to hit the joints, they are easier to remove the parts by hitting the joints with the deer hanging this way. It's easier to remove the lymph nodes that are in the neck and in front of all four quarters because they are easier to see as they are on the "top" side of the quarters. hind quarters when being disjointed open themselves up more naturally to the ball and socket when hanging head up as opposed to head down. the hind quarters tighten up and want to close in when hunt head down making it a pain to disjoint them from the pelvis without dropping the one you're cutting on or securing the remaining quarter... When the deer is hanging by the head the way I described, the only thing left hanging is the head and backbone/carcass that has had all the meat removed. With the deer hanging by the head with the rope/chain around the neck at the jaw line, it is very easy to pull the head down with the bottom of the jaw pointing up and cut along the jaw line to the neck joint and remove the head literally in less than a minute... it's the cleanest, most efficient way I've ever found to process a deer to the cooler. I've done many hundreds of deer, hogs this way. Hogs the same way except cut the skin into strips about 2" wide top to bottom and "peel it off like skinning a banana. This leaves all the good fat on the meat rather than on the hide . I never use loppers, saws or anything else bigger than a case trapper pocket knife or Puma Game Warden pocket knife to do the complete job. On a hog, you can even disjoint the ribs off the backbone... no saws, etc needed. Anywhere you need to take the animal apart, there's a joint. Just learn a little about the anatomy of your animal. It will also help you in shot placement if you take a few animals apart like this.

Comment

I gut them on the ground. By the time you get done hanging them up you can have the guts out. I hang from back legs to cape them.

Comment

A lot of people don’t gut and miss the heart and liver, crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X