THE Official Twin Buttes Reservoir Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MI Bow Hunter View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. I am wondering if there are any areas that have bigger trees for a climbing tree stand. I am going home for thanksgiving and will bring it back with me if it something I would be able to use out there or if it is even worth getting. Having not seen the area I am not sure what is out there. I also need an area that I will be able to drive a car close too I am not afraid to walk so that isn't an issue.
    ONLY place I can think of accessible by foot to use a treestand would be far back along riverbanks (its dry mostly) in unit 5 and I doubt you'd find nice straight trees for a climber. a lock-on would be as best as your gonna get there. They had some for $39 at Academy sports when I got mine I used out at TBR. Didnt wanna LOSE much $$ if someone "borrowed".

Comment

Originally posted by SanAngeloBowman View Post
      Seen a few over in 5. does and a spike myself and another TBHer passed on.
      I was just curious if it was any TBHers. I've seen the vehicles at Unit 5 and Unit 4 by 12 Mile Ranch a few times on my back from hunting Unit 4 via 2166.

Oh and they did not move all the cows from Unit 4.

This past Saturday morning the game warden (Cynthia) visited with me at the cattle guard at Unit 4. This evening as I was leaving I a fellow hunter mentioned that the Lake (SAPD) Police have been patroling Unit 4 via 4-wheeler.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHORNZ View Post
        I was just curious if it was any TBHers. I've seen the vehicles at Unit 5 and Unit 4 by 12 Mile Ranch a few times on my back from hunting Unit 4 via 2166.

Oh and they did not move all the cows from Unit 4.

This past Saturday morning the game warden (Cynthia) visited with me at the cattle guard at Unit 4. This evening as I was leaving I a fellow hunter mentioned that the Lake (SAPD) Police have been patroling Unit 4 via 4-wheeler.
        Unit 4 is where they used to De-calf the herd about this time every year.

SAPD (there is no more Lake Police) have been in Unit 3 as well on there lil baja rail buggy. Units 2,3, and 4 are where most folks go so its no surprise to see them. I just hope they arent running all around ruining folks hunts. I heard what they are looking for is under age drinkers, etc. NOT hunting violations.

My buddy that saw them said right before he ran into SAPD he was headed toward a fenceline road back into his hunt area and all of a sudden 5 "gangbanger" lookin' vatos came walking outta the woods. This was in Unit 3 near the old boat ramp where a bunch of people park.

Comment

ONLY place I can think of accessible by foot to use a treestand would be far back along riverbanks (its dry mostly) in unit 5 and I doubt you'd find nice straight trees for a climber. a lock-on would be as best as your gonna get there. They had some for $39 at Academy sports when I got mine I used out at TBR. Didnt wanna LOSE much $$ if someone "borrowed".
          Well I don't think I am going to mess with my climber but how do I access zone 5? I was able to find access to 3 but it seemed like there were a lot of people in that area. Is there just one access to 3 on the other end? I am going to be back in san angelo on monday and hopefully be able to get out and look around some more.

Comment

Well I don't think I am going to mess with my climber but how do I access zone 5? I was able to find access to 3 but it seemed like there were a lot of people in that area. Is there just one access to 3 on the other end? I am going to be back in san angelo on monday and hopefully be able to get out and look around some more.
            access to Unit 5......take hwy 67 towards Mertzon. JUST BEFORE you cross 12 MILE bridge there is 2 points to access. There are NO SIGNS stating public hunting land but there is an old store thats now a residence right NEXT to the bridge. You can drop down the gravel turnout right before bridge and access via the wooden 2x4 "step-over" point or about 300yds back down road next to the HWY67 SIGN where to better access point is at another wooden 2x4 "step-over" gate. It is FOOT TRAFFIC ONLY in unit 5. Hint: Hunt what we call "The Box" which is the small box section in the NW corner of unit. great cover and close to the north fenceline where there are several feeders close by There are a FEW trees big enough for a treestand if walk into the middle of the Box

Comment

The other end of Unit 3 merges with Unit 4 behind the Boys Ranch area and at the moment is dry at the river crossing there. It is a flat solid rock bottom on the river bed and very easy to cross, but there is no secondary roadway access to that back section.

Comment

WARNING!: Be careful out at TBR. For the 2nd TIME in a week Ive been almost shot by idiots with shotguns. This time was VERY close as I was sitting in my Pop-up blind by 2 "Hunters" shooting from a road ON a 4wheeler at running deer (that were about to come into my setup!) When all was said and done the 2 geniuses were sited for their hunting violations including the UNtagged deer with sex proof removed that they also had in their possesion. 4 SAPD units responded as well as the GW (thanks Jason.....again) hats off to SAPD for patrolling inforce and responding quickly. I was told they caught 3 other "hunters" that all jumped from a Passenger type vehicle whooping and yelling as they chased some deer from the road right near the entrance to area 1 which is a NO HUNTING zone until you are around the end of the dam.

They also have caught some people recently shooting RIFLES at TBR which is highly illegal as well .

I had an incident last week where 4 idividuals were shooting right next to our camp and across the river towards the island which 4 of us were hunting on. Over 300 rounds were fired (we counted as we ducked) These geniuses were stopped and "educated" as well.

SO.......be careful out there. The idiots are enforce right now.

Comment

thanks for the info. I have a few days off week after next and was thinking about going out there but I may just have to find something else.

Comment

Sab

WARNING!: Be careful out at TBR. For the 2nd TIME in a week Ive been almost shot by idiots with shotguns. This time was VERY close as I was sitting in my Pop-up blind by 2 "Hunters" shooting from a road ON a 4wheeler at running deer (that were about to come into my setup!) When all was said and done the 2 geniuses were sited for their hunting violations including the UNtagged deer with sex proof removed that they also had in their possesion. 4 SAPD units responded as well as the GW (thanks Jason.....again) hats off to SAPD for patrolling inforce and responding quickly. I was told they caught 3 other "hunters" that all jumped from a Passenger type vehicle whooping and yelling as they chased some deer from the road right near the entrance to area 1 which is a NO HUNTING zone until you are around the end of the dam.

They also have caught some people recently shooting RIFLES at TBR which is highly illegal as well .

I had an incident last week where 4 idividuals were shooting right next to our camp and across the river towards the island which 4 of us were hunting on. Over 300 rounds were fired (we counted as we ducked) These geniuses were stopped and "educated" as well.

SO.......be careful out there. The idiots are enforce right now.
                    Was one of these incidents Tuesday evening? My hunting buddy is still hunting unit1. As I am attempting to unit 4 this year. Anyways, he called me and mentioned some strange vehicles along with the SAPD on the non-hunting side of Motl ****. He was real surprised that none of the SAPD stopped to visit with him. He did mention seeing the emergency lights on before he got to the area they were in.

Are you not hunting way back in unit 4? Glad you are ok.

Comment

Originally posted by Toddcaster View Post
                      thanks for the info. I have a few days off week after next and was thinking about going out there but I may just have to find something else.
                      Its been primarily in Unit 2 (ya I know...the same one I always warn folks about) and I found out that the guys involved are now camping in Unit 3 and are STILL road hunting. 2 trucks and a RED 4 wheeler. They are from Alabama and Abilene. These people are morons...BE CAREFUL.

Originally posted by TXHORNZ View Post
                      Was one of these incidents Tuesday evening? My hunting buddy is still hunting unit1. As I am attempting to unit 4 this year. Anyways, he called me and mentioned some strange vehicles along with the SAPD on the non-hunting side of Motl ****. He was real surprised that none of the SAPD stopped to visit with him. He did mention seeing the emergency lights on before he got to the area they were in.

Are you not hunting way back in unit 4? Glad you are ok.
                      UPDATE:
                      There was 2 more shooting incidents in Unit 2 yesterday!

Well in all the commotion the other night I forgot my decoy abd had to go back to get it, so I figured "lightning dont strike twice right?" WRONG!.....well it at least wasnt me being shot at this time. I was visiting with the SAPD Lake Division supervisor (hes an avid hunter and professional guide) when he got a call about high power rifle shots coming from our area? seconds later 2 hunters came up in a truck saying they had a very close call in Garner Dam area out back with 2 guys and a female shooting pistols, rifles, and shotguns just randomly into the woods......right where they were sitting in a brush blind! Here's the kicker......these are the same people the cop just gave a break for shooting at the same boat ramp we were presently sitting at! So these geniuous' were cited.

45mins after this incident after cops left my area we had 2 vehicles come flting down the main road, pull up to boat ramp parking, unload 2 clips of semi auto and then get back in their trucks then head back down same road towards South Pool, pulled over just passed where I was sitting in my popup blind dump "something" in the bushes and then hauled it outta there? Now the chase is on agin and cops are swarming all over Unit 2 looking for this group as well.

The new SAPD Lake Division is EXTREMELY serious about cleaning this crud up out there guys, give it time and things will be really nice out here. The are very serious about cleaning out the riff raff.

SAPD is meeting with city hall right now discussing the new outlook and rules to be enforced at TBR. I promise ya that there is ALOT of changes coming. Look for it to be much like the state parks very soon.

Comment

It would be nice if they could make this like Amistead BOW ONLY NO GUNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Alley Dog View Post
                          It would be nice if they could make this like Amistead BOW ONLY NO GUNS.
                          ya it would....NONE of this kinda stuff happens during bow only season. Im headed to my lease in Lowake soon this morning for a few days. Hopefully I wont get shot at out there

Comment

Ive called the police two or three times this year already on people out there shooting like idiots during prime hunting/riding hours on the weekends. Big difference between running out there to check your zero with two or three shots on a Tuesday afternoon in a safe direction and goin on Sunday when the recreation riders are out slingin rounds down a trail.

Also had a buddy who had an incident tuesday with some meth heads shooting at him from the trail in their car.

Comment

Ramball

Originally posted by Ramball36 View Post
                              Ive called the police two or three times this year already on people out there shooting like idiots during prime hunting/riding hours on the weekends. Big difference between running out there to check your zero with two or three shots on a Tuesday afternoon in a safe direction and goin on Sunday when the recreation riders are out slingin rounds down a trail.

Also had a buddy who had an incident tuesday with some meth heads shooting at him from the trail in their car.
                              What unit is your buddy hunting?

Comment

That was unit I past the police academy. I and II have been pretty rough this year as far as idiots and thugs...

Comment

Working...
                                X