Cattle on the lease!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle on the lease!

We we're just informed that our lease was sold and that the new owners will be putting cattle on this coming year.

My question is. Should I be concerned with them tearing up my feeders and pens?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yes,then I would be concerned whether or not you still have a lease.

DJ

Comment

Only if you're feeders and pens were not originally setup to handle cattle.... but id be more concerned that you dont have a lease anymore.

Comment

We have them on my current place of 10 years and have no issue with them tearing up pens. Our pens are large and well built though.

They tore up a pen on my previous lease but it was too short and too small. They could lean over and smell or try to grab corn so they did and bent the panels. We built it bigger and never had any more problems.

Comment

Originally posted by DJM View Post
          Yes,then I would be concerned whether or not you still have a lease.

DJ
          Originally posted by systemnt View Post
          Only if you're feeders and pens were not originally setup to handle cattle.... but id be more concerned that you dont have a lease anymore.
          Yes we still have the lease. The new owners are just going to add cattle.

So will my hog panels be good enough to keep them out?

Comment

We have cattle on our place and they have rarely messed with our feeders and/or pens. But when they have messed with it they can cause some damage. They ate one of our pop up blinds.

That being said, sometimes they will come through during hunting hours and scare the deer off. In the past I have carried a sling shot that I will use to scare them off. Doesn't do any damage and gets them moving along.

Comment

Depends on how well he takes care of them. Yes if he feeds them as he should and doesn't' put to many head per ac.
              Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post

Comment

I've very very seldom hunted a place the DIDN'T have cattle. I would make sure the feed pens are sturdy and ready. One thing I've learned is that it has a lot to do w/ how the cows are taken care of. If they have plenty to eat and not over populated, you don't have much to worry about. Heck, I have a feeder set up right now w/ cows and no feeder pen. But, I know this place and know I can get away with it because the cows are well taken care of.

Comment

going to need more info... like what are they anchored with...just zip tied together in a circle? wired to T-Posts? solid corner posts?

bottom line is ..if they want in..they will get in... all you can do is make is as uncomfortable as possible... barb wire helps.

Comment

Like Smart said. You build em strong enough to withstand a tank trying to break in. On my last lease, the land owner NEVER fed his cows. They crawled over, stomped down, plowed every fence into the ground we put up.

Comment

How many panels make up your pen?

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                        Depends on how well he takes care of them. Yes if he feeds them as he should and doesn't' put to many head per ac.
                        Not sure how many head of cattle but he will be rotating them from pasture to pasture.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                          going to need more info... like what are they anchored with...just zip tied together in a circle? wired to T-Posts? solid corner posts?

bottom line is ..if they want in..they will get in... all you can do is make is as uncomfortable as possible... barb wire helps.
                          I have T post in the ground and the panels are wired together to the T Post 9 panels total

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            How many panels make up your pen?
                            I have 9 total

Comment

Tposts on the ends/overlap and the middle of each panel (less the 'gate')?

Comment

Working...
                              X