BBQ Pit Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ Pit Build

Last month, my father asked me if I could cook for 50 to 60 people this upcoming weekend. I had a couple of tanks laying around so decided to build a larger pit. I decided to build the fire box out of 3/8" plate so that material had to be ordered.
    Attached Files

Helluva pit, man. That'll be awesome. In for final product

Comment

The tanks were popping and cracking while burning out the epoxy coatings.
      Attached Files

Comment

Got it to a usable condition last night and It's almost done. Will be doing a bit of Q'ing this weekend. Still have some minor things to be done but its in a good place.
        Attached Files

Comment

I was wondering how you'd do that. Not at all familiar with welding, pit-building. how many hours you got invested in this thing so far, you think?

Comment

Dang that was a quick build. You don't mess around. Looks awesome.

Comment

Right? I wish I had the skills to throw together a couple thousand dollar pit together "for the weekend bbq".

Comment

All in all, over the last 3 weeks, I've probably got 40 to 60 hours in it. This isn't my first pit to build, but its my first trailer pit build. I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Comment

When is the TBH BBQ?

Comment

how did you know the temp you had to get to to burn it clean? and what thermometer is that? must be stout to handle 1K degrees

amazing job nice work

Comment

Originally posted by mjbtexas View Post
                      how did you know the temp you had to get to to burn it clean? and what thermometer is that? must be stout to handle 1K degrees

amazing job nice work
                      I didn't know of any perfect temperature to clean it. I just built as big a fire as I could in the chambers. I used mesquite knowing that it tends to burn hotter. I used a Fluke 561 to check the temperature just out of curiosity. Most steel won't start melting until around 2500 degrees or so.

Comment

Pretty cool! I am hoping to pick up the skill of welding! I would love to be able to build my own pit!

Comment

That air tank makes a perfect stack, very cool build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That turned out great.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X