Big Bend questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
    See ya down there. I will be in Terlingua for Easter! Look for TBH Sticker on back of truck
    Dad and I did all the electrical work on the very first hotel down there in the early 80s. Big Bend Motor Inn. Will never forget that adventure. I was fascinated by Clay Henry the original beer drinking goat and loved the front door at the La-Kiva bar. Lifetime memories.

Comment

Good find on the coachwhip

Comment

We were planning on going the first weekend in April. My wife called to see if there were any tent sites available and they are booked. I know that they also have first come first serve camp sites, but my wife does not want to risk a 7 hour drive and find nothing. I think it's worth the risk. Anyone ever have a problem finding a spot?

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
          Good find on the coachwhip
          I thought I was seeing things at first, it has very hot and bright outside. Then I saw that thing slithering along and thought what is that? It really stood out. I at first thought it was a uncovered root of some plant, then realized it was moving along.

Comment

Originally posted by Efren View Post
            We were planning on going the first weekend in April. My wife called to see if there were any tent sites available and they are booked. I know that they also have first come first serve camp sites, but my wife does not want to risk a 7 hour drive and find nothing. I think it's worth the risk. Anyone ever have a problem finding a spot?
            From what I understand, the spring time is one of their busiest times. It would probably be hard to get a camp site. I think they told us first come first serve. Then said we would be lucky if we found a spot, we found there were about four spots open, but by that night, they were all gone. It was either June or July that we went out there, that is their slow season. Now there are primitive camp sights all over Big Bend, they are just cleared areas along gravel roads. Just a word of warning, multiple of those primitive camp sites, are where the bears go feed at night. No BSing on that. The big black bear we saw out there last time was heading right towards one of the primitive camp sites, right as the sun was going down. He would have been right in the area of that camp site, by probably 10:00 PM. The bears don't seem to go down into the camp sites in the basin often, but I would bet they do on occasions. They are all over the Chisos Mountains, during the day, then seem to head out in the desert as the sun goes down. There are numerous cougars out there also, but they do a better job of staying out of sight. The cougar warning signs are all over the Chisos Mountain area.

Comment

State park or national park? The state park offers reservations for sites.

Comment

We checked both. And both were booked.

Comment

We checked both. And both were booked.
                  That is crazy. I went Thanksgiving week and called a week prior and they had openings.

Comment

there are plenty of Rural camp spots, if you are fine with out water, etc.

Comment

I was down there last year right after spring break. There's still a lot of people in the park that time of year because the weather is usually great. I spent about two days in the park and should have stayed 10. We stayed in Terlingua at some hotel that I don't recall the name of, but I won't stay there again.

Terlingua was interesting. Go see the cemetery and the ghost town. BTW, there are a lot of weird people in Terlingua too. One dude was sitting in front of the Terlingua Trading Company wearing a pirate hat.

We ate dinner at the Starlight Theater. The food was awesome and the atmosphere was great. I ate the pork medallions. They were awesome, but I paid the price for it later. I've never hurled that much in my life. And that was after the worst case of colon blow I've ever had.

I'd like to go back and do an overnight hike and camp out into the back country if its permitted.
                      Last edited by SabreKiller; 02-26-2018, 04:02 PM.

Comment

^^^
                        One dude was sitting in front of the Terlingua Trading Company wearing a pirate hate.

Oh that would be Clayton, and yes the locals are all great people, colorful people!

Comment

All great info! Thanks for all the pics and info. Im a little nervous of it being just my boy and I. Im hauling 10 gallons of water and an extra 12 gallons of gas. Got a bottle jack and a high lift but my 17' tacoma doesn't have sliders yet so its useless other than a winching device or lifting a tire. I dont plan on doing any real offroading, just going to the campsites then hiking and mountain biking, photography etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bonesplitter View Post
                            All great info! Thanks for all the pics and info. Im a little nervous of it being just my boy and I. Im hauling 10 gallons of water and an extra 12 gallons of gas. Got a bottle jack and a high lift but my 17' tacoma doesn't have sliders yet so its useless other than a winching device or lifting a tire. I dont plan on doing any real offroading, just going to the campsites then hiking and mountain biking, photography etc.

You will have a blast. If you are really worried about safety you could always buy or rent a SPOT personal beacon in the event of a worse case scenario. Sounds like you are setup fine for the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonesplitter View Post

We will be there from the 12th through 16th. Holler if you need s hand!

Comment

Will be there the 10th thru 13th. We should get a TBH list in case one of us runs into trouble

Comment

Working...
                                X