Worst eating wild game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hornet Hunter View Post
    You may throw rocks at me but I will say West Texas Mule Deer. An old buck that has been eating sage and black brush is plane nasty. No amount of sprite, seven up, milk or buttermilk can mask the rank taste.
    Maybe you should have tried whiskey.

Comment

Aoudad is the worst for me, goose was WAY better than Aoudad

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
        In the grand scheme of things, anything can be made to taste edible with the right coverage of spices, sauces and ingredients ie gumbos.....which doesn't mean its good, but the taste and texture can be covered up or masked with good tasting stuff.
        Had this conversation with another fella a while back. I'm not really getting at just mixing the right spices... or making something so hot it masks what you are eating.

Certain cuts and certain animals just need to be cooked differently too. On top of that, certain spices (not heat) pair up a lot better with some flavors than others. I'm not necessarily saying "mask" them but compliment them.

You just can't fry up a jack rabbit like you can a cotton tail... and if you slow cook a rabbit as long as you do a Jack rabbit, you do it a disservice.

At the end of the day it is somewhat moot to argue all of this anyway, because it comes down to people's very biased opinions based off how they were raised and what they ate and how it was prepared, etc, etc.

I swear though, jack rabbit in some venison or beef stock with a few potatoes for 8 hours tastes like regular old pot roast.

Now grill that thing or whatever... and yeah, have fun with that.

Comment

If you have to cover, smother, or wrap it in bacon to make it edible then it is not good... Doing these things just are ways for us hunters to eat what we kill. I'm not sure I've ever had anything I just couldn't eat once its masked something else, but I haven't tried a lot of the listed animals.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
            We tried eating a smallmouth buffalo (carp) once and it was awful.
            The only meat that you eat on a buffalo is the ribs. On a larger buffalo cut out the ribs. Cut the ribs into sections containing two ribs (buffalo ribs are fairly large), bread and fry. They are amazing.

Comment

a lot of it has to do with care and cooking of the meat as mentioned before. i know certain people that have made an axis taste bad, and ive had an audad that was delicious

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddct View Post
                Corsican Ram. Only meat I've ever threw out.
                Same here...

Comment

We (me, wife and kids) eat piles of snow geese at our house, (along with all other matter of waterfowl) and I don't feel like I'm doing any sort of magic gyrations to "work around" some inequity in the protein. These threads end up making me sad that some fellers hold such low expectations for something that can be so good.

Oh well, not gonna change any minds on this thread. Only way to do that is with a fork.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
                    All of it.... I'm Vegan now
                    Vegan......Old Indian Word For Bad Hunter

Comment

Grilled rattlesnake man it was bad. I’ve had it fried and was a little better.

Comment

Hate eating crow.

Swamp did you ever consider you may have malfunctioning taste buds?

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                          Javalina
                          Boar Jackson's.....old one...

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                            Javalina
                            Boar javalina.....old one...

Comment

Aoudad. Old ram. Absolutely horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz83 View Post
                                Jack rabbit is good eats. Just gotta cook it a certain way.
                                Gota agree;;Pressure Cooker makes it fall off bone...does greatjob on tough dry Snow Geese too

Aoudad and Javilina top my list

Comment

Working...
                                X