Grain Drill Type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grain Drill Type

I have an international grain drill I'm looking at buying. It's a 10' older model with single culters and a seed drop. Can I use this drill in an oat field that was disk in the fall and the oats are eatin down very short. I plan on planting peas and beans next week or two. I'm trying not to disk again and can't afford a no till right now. Thanks for the input.

I do this a lot, if the ground is not to hard.

Comment

If your colters will penetrate 1.5"/2" you should be good. I think I would kill what's there to eliminate competition for moisture, sunlight, and fertilizer, but I can't see what you have, so you may not need to. I just want my crop to get the benefit from all the above !

Comment

I’m gonna try the same thing with my old John Deer grain drill. Although it isn’t a no-till drill it has dual disks for each row that do a pretty good job of cutting the small plants and ground if it is moist enough.
        My fall plots were oats, wheat and clover. I figure they will die off in early June. But until then they should provide a good cover allowing the beans and peas to grow before the deer devour them.

Comment

Working...
        X