Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to you clean and cook a rattlesnake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to you clean and cook a rattlesnake?

Back when I was a Boy Scout our Scoutmaster taught us how to clean and cook rattlesnake over the fire for our Wilderness Survival Merit Badge. I guess I wasn't paying attention. What is the protocol for cleaning a rattlesnake? Is there anything to worry about (venom wise) besides the head?

I've had it before but wouldn't begin to know how to correctly skin one for cooking. But I do know the taste was unremarkable enough for me to never bother to try.

But I do know that you are right about not going near the head.

Comment

nope. just cut head off and cut it from where the head was all the way to the rattlers on the bottom side(white side) with a knife or scissors. Pull guts out, cut in chunks, wash off with water, season and cook. Deep fried is the BEST!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ground Threat View Post
        nope. just cut head off and cut it from where the head was all the way to the rattlers on the bottom side(white side) with a knife or scissors. Pull guts out, cut in chunks, wash off with water, season and cook. Deep fried is the BEST!!!
        Beat me to it.

Comment

No need to worry about venom, even if the snake has bit it's self. Unless you have weak gums, gum desiese, or sores. My first rattler bit it's self. I still have the skin. And it was good .

Comment

Deep fried is the BEST!!!
            yep

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	napalm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	23877420

Trailboss

Comment

NEVER!!! I just kill'em. I'll just have a steak thank you. lol

Comment

Originally posted by ibowtech View Post
                  NEVER!!! I just kill'em. I'll just have a steak thank you. lol
                  better than chicken. Try it! It's really is good.

Comment

The lareger the snake, the easier it is to get the meat from between the rib bones. It will remind you of chicken rib meat

Comment

I clean them as stated then coil them up in a foil boat seasoned with lemon and butter then place in a smoker for 4 hours. Watch closely that the snake doesn't jump out of the foil when it feels heat and spill the butter and seasoning.

Comment

Sure is good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

pour a gallon of gas on it and light a match. . .doesnt matter if it is dead or alive. . .that is how i would cook one.

Comment

Yep... egg wash and 50/50 corn meal and flour... drop in the deep fryer and remove when it floats to the top...

Comment

clean

Name:	snake_chef.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	23877432

eat

Name:	finished_product.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	85.7 KB