.223 shot placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.223 shot placement

The .22-250 thread has me wondering the same about .223 shooting 62 gr Fusions. Shots will be less than 100 yards.

My original notion was for my son to take a high shoulder shot, which should damage at least 1 shoulder, lungs and cause shock to the central nervous system and possibly trauma to the aorta. But it’s gotta punch through the on-side shoulder blade to do this. Assuming it does, should be effective.

Of should I have him aim right behind the shoulder for straight lungs, top area of the heart?

I’m not expecting and exit wound and blood trail on either spot, but the high shoulder seems like better odds of dropping it quickly.

FTR- no neck shots, I’m afraid the risk of just tissue damage and not hitting the spine or artery.

Shot a big 9 acouple years ago with barnes tsx, I think they were 55gr., high shoulder. Dropped on the spot. With an exit. No blood on either side.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Walker; 11-05-2017, 02:45 PM.

Comment

If your kid is a shooter then let him shoot to his abilities. My kids both shoot just in front of the shoulders in the neck. When they were much younger they shot just behind shoulder above the pocket. That TSX bullet will probably have an exit and blood.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        If your kid is a shooter then let him shoot to his abilities. My kids both shoot just in front of the shoulders in the neck. When they were much younger they shot just behind shoulder above the pocket. That TSX bullet will probably have an exit and blood.
        He shoots ok for his age, 2-2.5” groups at 100 yards, and he will Be shooting off of a Caldwell deadshot. But I know nerves are going to play into this, just want to take the highest percentage shot possible.

Cover isn’t terrible and I have a dog to help wind a corpse, but would prefer a dead deer in sight

Comment

I have shot a lot of does and cull bucks up to 3 yrs old with Remington 55 grain using the high/point of the shoulder shot for years. There are better bullets but that one has worked well for me. The closer the shot the better also. I would think with the TSX bullet you will no problems.

Comment

The heart/lungs area is larger than a dinner plate and kills every time.

Comment

I don’t think Federal Fusions have the Barnes TSX bullets, they are a bonded Fusion projectile

Comment

Double lunged a 35'' 260lbs. Axis 223 62gr. Hornady ran 40yds.

God Bless
                Bish

Comment

Daughter is shooting Hornady American whitetail 60 gr. Hopefully we will report back later with what a behind the shoulder shot does

Comment

Bump for thoughts

Comment

Put it through both shoulders

223’s don’t leave much of a blood trail.

Comment

I haven't shot any with the fusion but have shot several with the old trophy bonded bear claw and nosler partitions. the trophy bonded usually exited and the partitions have all exited on broadside shots be it high shoulder or through the lungs. I would expect the fusion bullets to work well for them be it a high shoulder or lung shot, might get an exit or might not though but that bullet in the vitals I expect a dead deer pretty quickly.

Comment

Straight up the leg gets the heart and lungs.
                          With a bow or any gun from a .22 LR on up, they can not live without lungs.
                          I shot this one with a muzzle loader but it shows the spot
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	mz.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	24518086

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                            The heart/lungs area is larger than a dinner plate and kills every time.

Comment

My first five or so deer when I was young and starting hunting were probably shot with .223 using heavy grained specialty bullets. To practice my dad would take me to shoot at a life size paper deer target. To make the shooting easier for me my dad told me to aim between the middle and back edge of the shoulder (gave me a big aim/kill zone to be confident). Just about every deer was shot right through the shoulder blades with an exit hole, recovered every one of them within 0-60 yards.

Comment

Working...
                              X