2018 saltwater fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
    what kind of line are you all using for inshore Specks and reds? Mono, Floro or braid and which brand? Ive used 12 pound Berkley Big Game for years with no problem, Just curious what you all are using. Ready to hit the coast

Fins windtamer 20lb braid.

13 fishing concept C

6’6” Waterloo salinity ML action is my primary setup for trout, redfish or flounder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
      I must admit, I didnt know you could eat Pompano. Hmmp
      One of my favorites but haven't caught one in a very long time, use to catch a lot around the mouth of the San Bernard in the 80's.

ATW, great pics as always. I bought a new to me Andros 26 a couple weeks ago, you need to come chase some POC tarpon on the fly with us this summer.

Comment

[ IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180406/bcebda5fdb81e624df8b67993e8fe344.jpg[/IMG]

Took my girls out on an evening trip caught a few then went out the next day with my buddies and caught a few more...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Last edited by HELLRAZOR; 04-06-2018, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          I must admit, I didnt know you could eat Pompano. Hmmp
          Here's it's eating quality, as identified by Gourmands....

"Pompano meat is firm but finely flaked, with a sweet, mild flavor. The flesh is pearly white, with a moderate fat content, and cooks up white."

You do not want to overpower Pompano flesh. I gut them, cut the tail off and rub them with olive oil and smoke them around 235 for about an hour.

The flesh is edible - no scales and or you can flake the skin away and pull the meat directly off the bone. There's a section of super sweet meat, right over the pomps eyes, with a center plate, much like the center portion of a chicken or turkey breast - separating the white breast meat, on both sides of the pomps head. These two portions of pure white meat, runs down to the pomps nose and it pulls away, like a blue crab's larger claw portion on pull. Even the flesh up to the gill plates on these fish, heck everywhere, is sweet and white!

They predominately feed on clams, ghost shrimp and shrimp in the South Texas surf. And that diet really gives them a super mild sweet flavor.

Once you taste day fresh caught pomps, grilled, broiled and or fileted and sushi / fried etc, it will become one of those fish, you will go out of your way to target.

It truly is a treat on the table.
          Last edited by AtTheWall; 04-06-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
            One of my favorites but haven't caught one in a very long time, use to catch a lot around the mouth of the San Bernard in the 80's.

ATW, great pics as always. I bought a new to me Andros 26 a couple weeks ago, you need to come chase some POC tarpon on the fly with us this summer.
            Thanks and CONGRATS! Nice rides for sure and a solid size for a nice mix of fishing options.

Glen knows that region pretty well too. Cobia have become his specialty as well as some toad Texas State Red Snapper.

Oh man - let me know! I have several tarpon worthy fly setups ready to go! The 10wt has 600 yards of braid backing, sinking flyline on a blank specifically built for the poons, kings, ling and jackfish. I can trailer my flats skiff if another boat needs to go to cover super skinny spots. Pile of tarpon flies as well - solid mix of colors.

Think we may need to have a gathering soon - once the warm up gets us into the prime time?

Tripletail in Matagorda Bay.....on fly, never know, always wanted to give that a shot too! Nearly 10lb on fly is the current State record, 34lbs casting tackle record.
            Last edited by AtTheWall; 04-06-2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HELLRAZOR View Post
              [ IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180406/bcebda5fdb81e624df8b67993e8fe344.jpg[/IMG]

Took my girls out on an evening trip caught a few then went out the next day with my buddies and caught a few more...

What a catchy team name. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon-Paul View Post
                What type of boat you getting? I’m hoping to have mine by end of month.

What are you getting?

Comment

Hey Brandon, that's Jonathan Seiler in that last pic with the big wahoo isn't it?
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                    What are you getting?

(RC24). Been waiting on a motor for a while

Comment

Send Some Karma/Prayers

Fishing leg one of the Redfish Rivalry South series tomorrow. We are on the fish, but Mother Nature is going to have something to say about it. North winds gusting to 30 by noon. Hopefully we can get two good ones early and be done. Two man teams, weigh in two Reds. I'm worried that some will think a fish is more important than their safety. Praying everyone makes wise decisions out on the water.

Comment

I guess those knee pads come in handy when trying to get your wife to cut a check for that boat...
                        Jealous, very nice rig!!
                        (RC24). Been waiting on a motor for a while

Comment

Originally posted by Rack Ranch View Post
                          Fishing leg one of the Redfish Rivalry South series tomorrow. We are on the fish, but Mother Nature is going to have something to say about it. North winds gusting to 30 by noon. Hopefully we can get two good ones early and be done. Two man teams, weigh in two Reds. I'm worried that some will think a fish is more important than their safety. Praying everyone makes wise decisions out on the water.

Good luck, another TBH (capn)member is fishing it.

Comment

Just found out Im going to the landcut Apr 26 thru 29 with 2 other boats. Will post a report.

Comment

Blast & Cast Men's Ministries will be well represented.
                              Good luck, another TBH (capn)member is fishing it.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
                                Thanks and CONGRATS! Nice rides for sure and a solid size for a nice mix of fishing options.

Glen knows that region pretty well too. Cobia have become his specialty as well as some toad Texas State Red Snapper.

Oh man - let me know! I have several tarpon worthy fly setups ready to go! The 10wt has 600 yards of braid backing, sinking flyline on a blank specifically built for the poons, kings, ling and jackfish. I can trailer my flats skiff if another boat needs to go to cover super skinny spots. Pile of tarpon flies as well - solid mix of colors.

Think we may need to have a gathering soon - once the warm up gets us into the prime time?

Tripletail in Matagorda Bay.....on fly, never know, always wanted to give that a shot too! Nearly 10lb on fly is the current State record, 34lbs casting tackle record.
                                Thx! Will definitely give you a shout once water warms up.

We got into a mess of undersized triple tail last year about two miles out on a slick day, had a blast catching on 8 wts even if no eaters.

Comment

Working...
                                X