No announcement yet.

Smart's Deer Jerky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here’s a noobie question, what’s yalls favorite meat cut for this jerky. I’ve made jerky many times and always looking to improve, and this may be it.

Comment

bottom round or any other lean cut

Comment

how long does it keep dehydrated?

Comment

Originally posted by J&M Hamilton10 View Post
          how long does it keep dehydrated?

I seal pack (food saver) small portions and freeze it. Around my house it doesn’t last long enough to find out how long it will actually last....lol

Comment

Originally posted by patwilson View Post
            I seal pack (food saver) small portions and freeze it. Around my house it doesn’t last long enough to find out how long it will actually last....lol

Same.

Comment

HEB deal alert on Allegro

HEB has the yellow coupons for $1off Allegro marinades through Sept 4.
              Attached Files

Comment

Making some with last backstraps today. Time to kill some more deer

Comment

Originally posted by zztex View Post
                  Making some with last backstraps today. Time to kill some more deer
                  I make mine with backstrap also. I too am about out of last year's backstrap. I take between 10-15 deer per year (MLD) and usually give most of the meat away except for the backstraps.

Comment

Looks good, thinking I should make up a batch

Comment

Oh wow, my Dad will love to try this recipe.

Comment

Bump for those asking....

Comment

I need to try this

Comment

Man that does look awesome!

Comment

I have a few tips to anyone trying this.

If buying a dehydrator, get as big of one as you can! I bought a $79 one from Academy. It works great, just not near big enough. It hasn’t been turned off for more than a couple of hours in the last 6 days.

I like the 1/8” thick stuff over the 1/4”, maybe in a smoke house it would be better.

Do not let anyone taste test before you are completely done! Yes it is that good. I had a few batches that were done before I could get home and bag them up. Between my son and Macies nurses, there wasn’t much to bag up when I did get home!

I had a few pieces of meat that got to small to slice evenly. I decided to put them in the marinade with the sliced stuff and grind it and make some jerky that way. I just filled the dehydrator with this stuff. I sure hope it turns out as good as the sliced, because it sure is easier to do!

Thanks for sharing this recipe Jason. Like I said everyone who will jerky that has walked through the door this week, has gone on and on about how good it is.

Comment

Gonna make some more tomorrow. Yum

Comment

Working...
                                X