protein feed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

protein feed

When do you guys start feeding it and what do you typically feed? I am going to start for the first time this year.

I start up again in mid January when our season is over bucks need it bc they are run down.

We don't feed during the season because we try to avoid them feeding at night.

Any 20% feed is good enough. The best is cotton seed it is about 26%.

I sure you will get lots of opinions on this brand is better than the other, imho i think as long as you are feeding something that is the most important thing.

Also remember if they have never had protein before it will take them awhile to start eating it regularly sometimes several years. Older buck might not ever go to it.

good luck

Comment

Mix it with some corn the first few feedings. I like Lyssy and Eckels feed and my deer took to it pretty quick.

Comment

I feed it year round. I have does and bucks coming to it all year.

Comment

Around febuary right after the rut and use double down

Comment

Middle of Jan we will kick it back off and feed until Oct 1.

Feed any protein you can with 16-20% protein. The cheapest you can find. I pay 8.50-9 a bag for 20 and 18%

Comment

I usually start in early January. By then my season is usually winding down, although I am MLD and can go until the end of February, I usually have everything off that needs to off by the middle of January. I feed whatever the feed store in Richland Springs is carrying. I buy it in bulk and they come out and fill my feeders. I do plan on feeding some cottonseed for the first part of the year as well as pelleted protein.

Comment

All year long and Lyssy and Eckel.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
                  Mix it with some corn the first few feedings. I like Lyssy and Eckels feed and my deer took to it pretty quick.
                  This for me.

Comment

I cant get L&E anywhere near me

Comment

Start feeding as soon as you are done hunting for antlers this year. In other words if you already have taken you buck(s) for the year, go ahead and start now. If not, dont wait any longer than the end of the hunting season. The sooner the better and if you can go year round, do it. The bucks need all the help they can get to get back in shape before they lose their antlers. The healthier the bucks are when they drop, the bigger their antlers will be next year.

Comment

L&E best feed hands down

Comment

Cottonseed when season is over and protein first of March

Comment

Originally posted by Mexicobbd187 View Post
                            L&E best feed hands down
                            Maybe? Maybe not? It is all subjective! I have tried many different brands
                            L&E is one of the better brands , worst results I have had was with local brands
                            Mainly because local brand IMO has 0 % of research needed for quality products
                            Hard to beat whole cotton seed

Comment

talk to a feed store rep near your hunting location and they can recommend what others in the area are having good results with.

Comment

Working...
                              X