Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to get an all purpose rifle. Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

26 Nosler

Comment

Budget would be $600 max including scope

Ammo availability and cost needs to be a consideration.

Always liked the 260, but ammo is pretty scare from what I've seen.
      Last edited by cuttingedge; 10-23-2017, 07:43 PM.

Comment

For deer, antelope, and predators and sticking with factory ammo I think your spot on with the 243.

Comment

.243 would be a great option but if I had to only buy one and lived in Colorado where elk could be on the menu I would get a .25-06. Tame enough to be pleasant to shoot and can find ammo easily enough and at decent prices. With a decent enough bullet selection to be able to hunt everything in Colorado

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rafter S View Post
            7mm08
            I currently shoot a 25-06 & I bought my son a 7mm-08. I really like the performance of the 7mm-08. It is a very versatile round.

Comment

Originally posted by Humper View Post
              30.06..... multiple bullet weights from 125 to over 200 grains will get you varmits up to elk. Factory ammo is readily available. Remington 700 is a classic.
              3006 if you are a bandleader. That way you can take advantage of all the available bullet choices. Personally I'd probably choose the Thompson Center compass in a 6.5 Creedmore. It would do everything I need...With a $ 100 scope ,you would be looking at under $400 for the set up. T/C has a$75 rebate going on right now.

Comment

I've always recommended the .308. So many different rounds for it and shoots flat at long distance. Can kill most anything with it. Go varmint hunting with light loads or go heavy loads and kill deer/elk or bigger. Great round. Also love my .280. Awesome round

But I'll say my interest is very peaked with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Sounds like an awesome option
                Last edited by mdnabors; 10-23-2017, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                  Savage 270
                  +1 for the Savage 270. 270 is good for everything from mice to moose

Comment

Man if I had to choose just one rifle it would have to be a 25-06 with out a doubt!

Comment

Ar 10

Comment

Comment

I agree with the 308.

Comment

7mm-08

Comment

I love the .243! Great round, I've killed several deer and a handful of other varmits with explosive results, but for an all purpose, I think the .25-06 gets the nod. 85 grain at 3350 fps to demolish some varmits to 120 grain at 3000 fps for bigger critters. And nice selection of factory ammo.

Comment

Get a TC Encore. You can start with 243/25-06 and add a 30-06/308 barrel later for much less than another gun. I never felt handicapped with a single shot. Put the first one where it counts.

Comment

Working...
                                X