Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to get an all purpose rifle. Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to get an all purpose rifle. Suggestions?

I'm thinking of picking up a .243 Win for multi purpose hunting. A little background... I live in Colorado now. I want to be able to Hunt Deer, Antelope, Coyote and other predators. I'm leaning toward the .243 do to the fact that some varmint weight rounds are available as well as excellent offerings for medium size game.

I can only afford 1 rifle for now. What would you recommend including brand? If you have another caliber you recommend, let's hear it. Keep in mind that I don't reload currently so I'll be using factory ammo.

Thanks!

Savage 270

Comment

.243 would be a good round for what you are wanting to do.

Comment

270, it’s a classic and will do what you mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

6.5 creed, 270, or 7mm

Comment

Comment

.270 without a doubt

Comment

30.06..... multiple bullet weights from 125 to over 200 grains will get you varmits up to elk. Factory ammo is readily available. Remington 700 is a classic.

Comment

6.5 creed or .308

Comment

For the animals your looking at I would be in the 25-06

Comment

.270? You guys are overkill. .243 is way plentyfor what he wants to do, with more options in bullet weights. I know a Colorado rancher that hunts elk with a .243 and always has.

Comment

All good choices mentioned above but take a look at the 25.06. If I hunted in Colorado and only had 1 rifle this would probably be it. You can get loads suitable for everything from varments to elk.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                          For the animals your looking at I would be in the 25-06
                          Now that's a reasonable recommendation.

Comment

Get you a Savage. I have one in .270 and am wanting to get one in .243. Accurate out of the box and can do whatever you want. Pretty sure the majority of rifles I buy from now on will be Savage. I've had mine for 6 years.

Comment

6.5 Creedmoor, same case as a 308 but has superior ballistics, and not a barrel burner like the 243.

Comment

Working...
                              X