Turkey chokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jamesbo View Post
    I shoot a 10 gauge with 4,5,7 shot by Nitro. Rhino choke or the Primos jelly head choke. Both can hold the pattern tight and with distance. A 80 to 100 yard shot with a scope is no problem.
    No offense but if you are worried that you may have to kill turkeys at 70-100 yards I'd be freshening up the paint on my deeks.....
    Last edited by MASTERS; 03-08-2018, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Whatever you use for goose hunting will work just fine on turkeys with that SBEII. No need for anything special, and the same ammo too... If I were you, I'd be practicing my calling more that worrying about how FAR I can shoot one... I like that 15 yard shot shotgun OR bow...

Comment

When I was a younger man lead was outlawed for ducks. The steel loads back then sucked bad. So we thought the bigger the pellet the better off we would be. Over the years steel shot got better and my understanding of shotguns grew. I like the smallest pellet that will do the job. I like as many of those small pellets as I can get on a target. So with that being said I have no problem stepping off a distance of 30 yards and handing my wife a heavy dove load and telling her, "When that bird gets to here, nail him". They go down like a sledge hammer hit them. You can kill a cow with a dove load at 15 yards if you hit it in the right place. At 15 yards your pattern is not that large.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Whatever you use for goose hunting will work just fine on turkeys with that SBEII. No need for anything special, and the same ammo too... If I were you, I'd be practicing my calling more that worrying about how FAR I can shoot one... I like that 15 yard shot shotgun OR bow...
          15 is a little close for me. But 30, now we're talking. I'm hoping to get some good photo's in the 15 yard range. I agree on working more on calling than shooting. Good times.

Comment

Like the others have said, your choke should be fine. Make sure you pattern your gun and choke with the shot you plan on using at distances you plan on shooting.

Comment

My Benelli seems to like Briley chokes. And definitely spend a few shots at the pattern board. POI can be a few inches off.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanC26 View Post
                I was looking at the Jelly Head. Up close does it do to much damage?
                It might decapitate a turkey from close range if you're shooting the right ammo. I've never seen it done but I suppose it's possible. I don't know if that's necessarily a problem unless maybe you're wanting a full body mount done or something.

Comment

I am going to be near the Grapevine Bass Pro Shops this weekend. I will see what they have. I have the bullets narrowed down to Winchester or Hevi shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have the same Super Black Eagle II. I shoot a Primos JellyHead choke with 3.5” #5’s. Good to go easily at 40-50 yards. Upclose under 20 yards.....pretty nasty![emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have the Benelli Vinci. Nothing wrong with the factory tubes at all !

But because I’m me, and my love for Terror choke tubes that I use for geese hunting, I bought a xtra full Terror tube for my gun. It shoots great no doubt, but can’t say it dominates my factory tube.

I do however feel Hevi Shot #5’s stone anything in its path ! I shoot #3 for geese and 5 for turkey [emoji884]. I’ve dropped the Black Cloud and Winchester Supreme and Remington loads for Hevi Shot.

One other thing I’ve noticed. Different loads pattern differently as well. Gotta put em all on paper to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

extra full if you got it or a full will work

Comment

FYI
                          Even with the best recoil pad I could buy, patenting my turkey gun was my worst day of shooting ever. I tried several super heavy loads and the recoil was no fun.

Now I just call them close with 2 3/4” and put the CROSSHAIRS on his upper neck
                          You can laugh at my scope, but I have been killing birds for 30 years with it
                          Camo’ed, Sling, full tube of extra shells and I am good to go.

Comment

Grew up hunting turkeys in FL, we used standard full choke barrel in an 870 with 2 3/4", 1 1/4oz of lead 5 shot. We always head shot gobblers, not the shoot them in the middle of the body with a great cloud of feathers like the hunting shows. If, I had ever done that, it would have been a butt whooping not a high five and we didn't even know we were hunting the special Osceola turkey. Lol

A good turkey putt and he will have his head up high. We have killed scores and scores of turkeys using this load all over the country.

Also, unlike the turkey shows and the marketing of special choke tubes and loads that are "now required" to kill a turkey. My Dad taught me that if the gobbler wasn't within 15 yards, you hadn't really called it in and shouldn't be shooting at it, period.

Spend more time on learning turkey behaviours and calling, also how to hide and not move and you will be killing them within 15 yards, which is much more satisfying than 30+ yard shots which often just results in a wounded turkey. Even, with the "required chokes and loads".

Get one in really close one time, then watch listen to him for a few minutes and you won't want to do it any other way. Good luck

Comment

I experimented with a few and settled on the Undertaker choke for Hevi Shot loads. It works best with the Hevi Shot Magnum Blend 3" loads for me.

Comment

One of my old hunting buddies uses a .410 bore for turkey hunting and #6 shot. He calls 'em in to within 20 yards or less and shoots 'em in the head. He told me a turkey's head is as big as a dove, and we have dove hunted with .410's for over 30 years... rest of that turkey's body don't matter. Shoot his dove sized head. Easy as shooting a dove sitting on a fence post...

Comment

Working...
                                X