No announcement yet.

Truck tires on a UTV Crew Per PM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll see if I can get my phone camera to zoom in and take a pic of the rims sometime tomorrow? Sorry again for the DAM ole' knees....."Gettin' old ain't for sissies, lol!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
      After this happening with a stock aluminum rim I’m leaning more and more this route. I need to figure out what the brand and model of rims Kuma has, or just carry less tubs of rice bran[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Ok, what's the story on that rim?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Russ81 View Post
        After this happening with a stock aluminum rim I’m leaning more and more this route. I need to figure out what the brand and model of rims Kuma has, or just carry less tubs of rice bran[emoji23]

You must have hit a big rock pretty hard huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
          Ok, what's the story on that rim?

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
          You must have hit a big rock pretty hard huh?

No was hauling four molasses tubs of rice bran to feed the cows. I can barely pick them up so maybe 200-250# each? Lug nuts worked loose and going thru a ditch was the final nail in the rim’s coffin, folks claim they heard the pop back at their house 200yds away :lol:

Kuma’s isn’t the first LT tire on a buggy I’ve seen but I like the idea of more plys for thorn protection and hauling capacity. Plus like someone posted the BFG’s are cheap that size and the buckshots and other economy brands should be even cheaper.

Comment

Kuma, I'm guessing those are MSA M28 Ambush wheels. Do you have any way to confirm or can you get a pic of them looking directly at them...up close?

Thanks!

Comment

Yea what size and model wheel did u purchase? What do they run each

Comment

I thought about doing that but I got rims and 28” tires for less money then 4 lt tires. Then lt tires weight more and have a really stiff side wall compared to utv tires. Plus I am sure they will have to be aired up a lot more then utv tires affected the ride and handling. My blackwaters have been an awesome tire. I have miles of asphalt on one ranch and dirt and rocks on the others. I don’t think there is a mesquite or cactus I haven’t ran over.

Comment

Kuma can weigh in to clear the air, but from studying his pics and researching this option, I think I have found the following:

His rims are MSA Ambush M28s in 15" with a 4 x 156 bolt pattern in Dark Silver. I found them, in a graphite black finish, on ebay for just under $400 a set shipped. I would prefer the graphite finish (below) for my Ranger.

Tires are, as he mentioned, BFGoodrich Mud Terrains in 215/75/15 and those are about $160 a piece + mounting, road hazard, etc.

Now, what I THINK I see on his machine are SuperATV High Clearance Forward A-Arms. Those may be key as they are supposed to move the front wheels/tires forward about an inch which creates the room for these bigger tires and eliminates any rubbing issues. They also increase ground clearance. Chris Lilley, who is a member here and used to work at Polaris Fun Center in Bryan, suggested I look into these as option other than a lift. I have ordered a set for mine as I have a bent lower control arm anyway. I'm out $320ish on those and they'll be in tomorrow.

I hope this helps. I've been digging pretty hard on this and am pretty close to making the full jump. I will get the a-arms installed along with my new shocks and springs that were needed and plan my attack from there. I'm not certain I've settled on which wheels and tires yet. I thought this might be helpful.

Comment

By the way, those tires mentioned weigh 36 lbs. The ITP Baja Cross tires (standard utv) I have on mine weigh approximately 27.5 lbs. The BFGs are 27.9" tall and the Bajas are 26".

Comment

Truck tires on a UTV Crew Per PM's

That’s a big help. I actually bought my Ranger from Chris, bet he dreaded seeing my number on his phone with all the questions I had but he answered every one of them [emoji6]b

Kinda wished he still worked there, love to pick his brain on Polaris’ switch from Yanmar to Koleher for the diesels

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                        Kuma can weigh in to clear the air, but from studying his pics and researching this option, I think I have found the following:

His rims are MSA Ambush M28s in 15" with a 4 x 156 bolt pattern in Dark Silver. I found them, in a graphite black finish, on ebay for just under $400 a set shipped. I would prefer the graphite finish (below) for my Ranger.

Tires are, as he mentioned, BFGoodrich Mud Terrains in 215/75/15 and those are about $160 a piece + mounting, road hazard, etc.

Now, what I THINK I see on his machine are SuperATV High Clearance Forward A-Arms. Those may be key as they are supposed to move the front wheels/tires forward about an inch which creates the room for these bigger tires and eliminates any rubbing issues. They also increase ground clearance. Chris Lilley, who is a member here and used to work at Polaris Fun Center in Bryan, suggested I look into these as option other than a lift. I have ordered a set for mine as I have a bent lower control arm anyway. I'm out $320ish on those and they'll be in tomorrow.

I hope this helps. I've been digging pretty hard on this and am pretty close to making the full jump. I will get the a-arms installed along with my new shocks and springs that were needed and plan my attack from there. I'm not certain I've settled on which wheels and tires yet. I thought this might be helpful.
                        Casey,

Just read your PM and finally got out to the shop to check on these:

You are right on BOTH counts with the Rims and the Super ATV High Clearance forward A arms!!

Part of "MY" lack of knowledge is when I bought the Ranger it had everything on it. I'm sure if I had to order and have these two put on then I would have known. Sorry for any confusion all......but Casey is dead on!! Enjoy, you won't be disappointed. Kuma

Comment

Stay far, far away from treadwright tires! My brother had a blowout not long ago and completely tore the side of his bed off. He sued them for damages and won. Ill say this again, dont use those piece of junk tires.

UOTE=Junkers88;13157418]Take a look at Treadwright tires. They are light duty truck tires and are usually pretty darn cheap compared to BFG, SS, Dunlop etc... I've had three sets of them on "on-road" trucks and they did well. I'd bet they'd last you a long time on a UTV.

Richard[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
                            Casey,

Just read your PM and finally got out to the shop to check on these:

You are right on BOTH counts with the Rims and the Super ATV High Clearance forward A arms!!

Part of "MY" lack of knowledge is when I bought the Ranger it had everything on it. I'm sure if I had to order and have these two put on then I would have known. Sorry for any confusion all......but Casey is dead on!! Enjoy, you won't be disappointed. Kuma
                            I really appreciate this thread and you checking to confirm my suspicions. I really wanted this to be a no-mod bolt-on as I want to go this route. But, like everything else, if it's too good to be true, it likely is.

Everything I need to make this happen, short of rims and tires, was delivered today. I have some other priority tasks to knock out before I begin on this, but I'm looking forward to getting the Ranger on jackstands.

Thanks again, Kuma. I think you've helped several of us figure this out.

Comment

Tagged for future mods!!

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                                I really appreciate this thread and you checking to confirm my suspicions. I really wanted this to be a no-mod bolt-on as I want to go this route. But, like everything else, if it's too good to be true, it likely is.

Everything I need to make this happen, short of rims and tires, was delivered today. I have some other priority tasks to knock out before I begin on this, but I'm looking forward to getting the Ranger on jackstands.

Thanks again, Kuma. I think you've helped several of us figure this out.

Yea I don’t think I’ll invest the mod on my present Ranger as I’ve had several offers too trade it in for a new model. If I do trade up I’ll have this as part of the deal at the dealership.

If they won’t do it @Casey you need to make a thread of the build sir!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X