Let's see your all wood laminated bows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's see your all wood laminated bows

I've been having fun making self bows and have the urge to build a laminated all wood bow. I'm leaning towards Osage with a hickory backing or maybe a tri lam hickory ipe combo. I'd like to see some pictures of your bows for inspiration.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I don't own one now, but shot and loved my Sarrels Mongol. It was bamboo backed ipe. That bow model did not like my style though, and after I broke the 3rd one, I went a different direction. I now have a Lonnie Dye all wood laminated bow on order, but don't know when I will be getting it. He had somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 orders ahead of me when I placed mine! [emoji15]

Bisch
    Last edited by Bisch; 12-19-2016, 10:28 PM.

Comment

I love talking with Lonnie when I get the chance. I have never seen a finer bow than what he makes. I should probably get on the list with him. I don't have the skill that Lonnie or Arvin have but making bows is a blast.

Comment

Yep! There is not a prettier composite bow anywhere. He told me 6 months to a year back in May, so hopefully it won't be too long till I get mine.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          I don't own one now, but shot and loved my Sarrels Mongol. It was bamboo backed ipe. That bow model did not like my style though, and after I broke the 3rd one, I went a different direction. I now have a Lonnie Dye all wood laminated bow on order, but don't know when I will be getting it. He had somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 orders ahead of me when I placed mine! [emoji15]

Bisch
          I didn't know that you knew any other Bowyers other than Bob Sarrels! Haha! I have only tried about 8 other makers but my favorite is still a Sarrels. The Sierra for the 1 piece and the Blueridge SR for the TD model.

What do the Lonnie Dye bows shoot and look like? His site hardly has any information on it.

Comment

Lonnie's bows are the best looking composite bow out there, bar none!!!!! They shoot really nice too. I wish I had mine already so I could show off pics!

This past summer, a Lonnie Dye composite bow (all wood, laminated) shot one of the highest scores at the Texas State Longbow Championship in FTW. Obviously, the guy shooting it was behind the score, but for an archer of that calibre to trust it says a lot for it.

I know lots of other bowyers. There are lots of great ones out there, but I have also found my perfect bow, and that is my Sarrels Blueridge. I shoot others to try them out, but always come back to my Blueridge! I only own 1 laminated bow that was not built by Bob (and keep it for sentimental reasons), and like I stated above, I love his Mongol bamboo backed ipe bow, but it just does not like me so I had to find something else.

Bisch
            Last edited by Bisch; 12-19-2016, 11:18 PM.

Comment

No one?

Comment

A bow named Kinja

My first attempt at laminated bows resulted in 2 stave. Ipe backed with bamboo. Highly reflexed by adding weight to the center section while glue dried.

The first stave was named Kinja. It was my woods bow when I lived in the Pacific Northwest. It came out a bit light for an elk bow, but it was a sexy little thing and I had a lot of fun shooting it.

It made its way into the hands of a 14 year old kid in Maine. I have friends I visit up there every few years. While my friend, his neighbor, and his son were shooting the bull on my last visit, I notice how the kids ears perked up when the subject of bows came up. He got a package shortly after I got home.

I wish I still had close ups of the glue lines and reflex. It was a D bow style. Shot in about even and was narrow at the tip. The picture is of him shooting in 20 degree weather the day the package arrived using a hurried backstop in front of the wood shed and an empty feed sack for a target.
                Attached Files

Comment

That's great look at those lines nice

Comment

This was Kinja's twin stave. Both made up at the same time. It was given to a friend of mine at a bow jam whom was a much better bowyer than I was at the time. He was able to tiller it to a higher poundage and keep about half the original reflex in it. I have never put it on a scale, but believe it would pull 50ish.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I can't find any decent bamboo backing for one I have built now it's just waiting for a back.

Comment

I build self bows...never thought about laminates though...its hard enough to build a self bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Dkincaid View Post
                          I can't find any decent bamboo backing for one I have built now it's just waiting for a back.

PM sent!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                            Lonnie's bows are the best looking composite bow out there, bar none!!!!! They shoot really nice too. I wish I had mine already so I could show off pics!

This past summer, a Lonnie Dye composite bow (all wood, laminated) shot one of the highest scores at the Texas State Longbow Championship in FTW. Obviously, the guy shooting it was behind the score, but for an archer of that calibre to trust it says a lot for it.

I know lots of other bowyers. There are lots of great ones out there, but I have also found my perfect bow, and that is my Sarrels Blueridge. I shoot others to try them out, but always come back to my Blueridge! I only own 1 laminated bow that was not built by Bob (and keep it for sentimental reasons), and like I stated above, I love his Mongol bamboo backed ipe bow, but it just does not like me so I had to find something else.

Bisch
                            Thanks buddy, wish I had some good pics of her, the man is truly an artist. If you've ever seen any of his bird carvings you'll understand how good his bows are. AMAZING...

And if that Dang Oakie hadn't borrowed a bow right before the shoot, Lonnie would have had one of his bows win the tournament.
                            But I'm not bitter.......

Comment

Originally posted by 4dog View Post
                              I build self bows...never thought about laminates though...its hard enough to build a self bow.
                              You might be surprised. I built a few hickory self bows. I found I did not have the patience (at the time) to chase one ring on an Osage self bow. The prep and glue up were a bit intimidating the first time. But with one under my belt, it was actually easier than a self bow. (not that easier is better; but don't be put off by the glue up process.)

Tillering is much easier with a laminate. The wood becomes more uniform as the materials cancel one another's weakness. Profiles can be more narrow; and tip weight can be reduced over selfbows. Makes for a harder hitting bow in a smaller package.
                              Last edited by TejasNW; 12-21-2016, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X