• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
    A hit piece from NYT

By JOHN SCHWARTZ
    AUGUST 18, 2015
    A little-noted portion of the chain of pipelines and equipment that brings natural gas from the field into power plants and homes is responsible for a surprising amount of methane emissions, according to a study published on Tuesday.

Natural-gas gathering facilities, which collect from multiple wells, lose about 100 billion cubic feet of natural gas a year, about eight times as much as estimates used by the Environmental Protection Agency, according to the study, which appeared in the journal Environmental Science & Technology.

The newly discovered leaks, if counted in the E.P.A. inventory, would increase its entire systemwide estimate by about 25 percent, said the Environmental Defense Fund, which sponsored the research as part of methane emissions studies it organized.

More at the link.

Man they just won't let this one go, roughly 20 yrs. ago we had to go through our systems from the wellhead through the processing system to the sales point measuring or guesstimating gas leakage from every connection and possible release point for those jokers.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      You just won't admit it lol

You have never seen someone make 100k and work a few hours a day and have more days off then most of us? I have and I know 0.2% of the amount of oilfield workers you do
      Ima wait til in the morning to reply to this....

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
        It's different work but those that clear it have worked their way into that. Half the year working 12hrs a day is still quite a bit and more than 40hrs a week all year.

365/2=182.5 days
        182.5*12=2190 hours/year

40 hours/week * 52 weeks = 2080 hours/year

110 hours per year difference, about 2 hours per week, isn't that much.

Comment

You guys are freaking amazing!

Comment

I'll go out on a limb and say the majority of the 6 figure salaries in the industry with decent schedules and lots of time off are on the paper pushing side of things in an office, not sweating/freezing their rearends off.

Comment

Who freaking cares!!! Put your peckers up and pray for a turnaround!!!

Comment

Originally posted by d_e_smith View Post
                I'll go out on a limb and say the majority of the 6 figure salaries in the industry with decent schedules and lots of time off are on the paper pushing side of things in an office, not sweating/freezing their rearends off.

I wouldn't bet too hard. I also wouldn't worry so much about what others make any try to find your own way to do it. The opportunities are there. Especially when we start coming out of this slump. The possibilities will be endless for those willing to go get it.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                  You just won't admit it lol

You have never seen someone make 100k and work a few hours a day and have more days off then most of us? I have and I know 0.2% of the amount of oilfield workers you do
                  I had a 6 figure oil field job until the lay off in April. I worked and lived half the year on a little metal island in the GOM plus many days on land in training, crewchanges, etc.

I would like one of these jobs you speak of. So if you don't mind post the position and company information that pays that well and doesn't require much work.

Not trying to derail the thead just a little humor until it picks back up and I get back in the patch.

Comment

Originally posted by KR-oldmexico View Post

no kidding on that! another 6 months of $40 oil, and no one will be arguing about 100K salaries.

Comment

Originally posted by JSAPP View Post
                      I wouldn't bet too hard. I also wouldn't worry so much about what others make any try to find your own way to do it. The opportunities are there. Especially when we start coming out of this slump. The possibilities will be endless for those willing to go get it.
                      Not really worried about it, just making a statement based on what I see in terms of schedule/difficulty.

Kicker to what you posted is when are we coming out of this slump? And following that is, with some companies using this time to increase storage and transport capabilities, how long will the next slump be?

Comment

Originally posted by denowt View Post
                        365/2=182.5 days
                        182.5*12=2190 hours/year

40 hours/week * 52 weeks = 2080 hours/year

110 hours per year difference, about 2 hours per week, isn't that much.
                        I didn't say it was a lot more hours just that it was more. I just said it's still quite a bit of time total.
                        Last edited by bphillips; 08-18-2015, 10:24 PM.

Comment

By the way for the people who obviously don't know much about the industry, the vast majority of guys will start in the 50k/yr range. Only those that stick with it will ever make much more unless they time it right during a boom and even then the lack of experience won't keep them around come bust. Many won't hit 100k for 5-6 years and then the BIG money is usually at least 10yrs in. That takes hard work and good luck those jobs aren't aren't just laying there waiting for a swinging **** to walk up and fill the spot

There are also guys who make a lot with low hourly wage because they work so many hrs it would make me sick and I work a lot of hrs a year haha
                          Last edited by bphillips; 08-18-2015, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KR-oldmexico View Post
                            I know I might have to sell some toys one day

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                              By the way for the people who obviously don't know much about the industry, the vast majority of guys will start in the 50k/yr range. Only those that stick with it will ever make much more unless they time it right during a boom and even then the lack of experience won't keep them around come bust. Many won't hit 100k for 5-6 years and then the BIG money is usually at least 10yrs in. That takes hard work and good luck those jobs aren't aren't just laying there waiting for a swinging **** to walk up and fill the spot

There are also guys who make a lot with low hourly wage because they work so many hrs it would make me sick and I work a lot of hrs a year haha
                              Very true statement here folks. I have a base of 50 plus service bonus. And service means being gone a lot. I do well for myself but I work and don't complain about having to work. Maybe why I still have a job. Idk. Just saying.

Comment

We are getting a few orders here and there but this month is looking to be our worst since the price drop. Im just gonna pray that when i am gone for 2 weeks moose hunting next month that something happens and the turn around starts..

Comment

Working...
                                X