No announcement yet.

Do deer eat pecans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You bet they do. We have no oaks on our place, but have 3.5 miles of thick pecan bottoms along the river. The deer hammer them. They crunch them up shells and all.

Comment

I've got a corn feeder that is under some native pecan trees, and in the years when the pecans are plentiful, the deer, javelina, turkeys, and just about every other animal around our place, will eat the pecans first over the corn. And like others have so aptly said, they make a racket crunching on them. The javelinas really chew them up loudly, but the deer only give them a bit of a crunch and then swallow them right away. They go off and chew on their cudd later and complete the digestion. I have a good crop of pecans around my area this year, and that adds to my excitement and andicipation for sure... Nothin' better than sitting in the stand before daylight and hearing all that crunching and waiting on daylight!

Comment

We have 2500 hundred native pecan trees on our place. In the middle of nov. the harvesters come in with the bobcats, tree shakers, and pecan picker uppers and go to work. There are people(day laborers) everywhere and machinery making all kinds of noise. I cant wait to go hunting, they really get the deer moving, we always kill a nice buck or two that has been disturbed, as to deer eating them, I don't know, but the pigs destroy them.

Comment

Yep!

Comment

You need to try bagging those and crushing them. Then selectively putting them out when you hunt...DEER LOVE PECANS!

Comment

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
              You need to try bagging those and crushing them. Then selectively putting them out when you hunt...DEER LOVE PECANS!
              And so do turkeys!

Comment

back in college my roommates Uncle called us to help kill some deer on his pecan orchard in west Lampasas county cause he got an ag deprevation permit to kill deer. somehow they figured the deer were eatin 100,000.00 in pecans.

Comment

Pecans have not fallen yet but they will eat them when the green hull is off.

Comment

Yes hogs also.

Comment

I hunt Willow Point every year and have personally seen deer eating them.

Comment

They eat them up at our place near Adamsville.

Comment

I killed my first deer on a place north of Brownwood that had a pecan orchard next to it. There was an 8' fence around the orchard, but it always had deer in it. I saw a young 4 point jump that fence.

Comment

Always was a hot spot on a lease we had in Pattison.

Comment

I walked up on them eating them.

Comment

pecans huh.

Comment

Working...
                                X