Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else hunt out of a saddle?

Originally posted by XBowHunter View Post
    Not trying to derail this thread, but I have used a rock climbing harness and hang on the last two years. I also have 360° range using that type of a harness.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Not derailing at all. I just can't get comfortable in a climbing harness on long sits. I end up with pressure points, loss of circulation, and discomfort. That means I fidget a LOT. Also, I do lots of all day sits, and climbing harnesses just don't make for pleasant days. The saddle relieved a lot of the pressure points for me.

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
    I need some pictures ... I can't visualize how this thing is used.

And since there's nothing behind you (I think), how on Earth do you take a nap?

Originally posted by Devin View Post
    Interesting.

I'd like to see an action photo as well.... shooting and napping.

I don't have any pics of me napping, but I turned kinda side saddle to the tree, wrapped my arms around the bridge, and leaned my side (hips through shoulder) and head against the tree. I do have a little footage of my setup in the original saddle I made. Filming isn't all that great, but you can get a better idea.

And here is a more in depth video of the basics that DIYSportsman did

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by IkemanTX; 12-07-2016, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
      Not derailing at all. I just can't get comfortable in a climbing harness on long sits. I end up with pressure points, loss of circulation, and discomfort. That means I fidget a LOT. Also, I do lots of all day sits, and climbing harnesses just don't make for pleasant days. The saddle relieved a lot of the pressure points for me.

I've never done an all day sit with mine, so I can't speak to the comfort.

Longest I have used mine would be about 3 1/2 hours. And as with any harness I was glad to get it off as soon as I got out of the tree, LOL!!!

I really do like the range it gives me however.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post

I don't have any pics of me napping, but I turned kinda side saddle to the tree, wrapped my arms around the bridge, and leaned my side (hips through shoulder) and head against the tree. I do have a little footage of my setup in the original saddle I made. Filming isn't all that great, but you can get a better idea.

And here is a more in depth video of the basics that DIYSportsman did

Yes! I get it now. very cool. How do you turn around? Just have enough slack in the straps?

Comment

Originally posted by Reds015 View Post
          Yes! I get it now. very cool. How do you turn around? Just have enough slack in the straps?

The only thing holding the saddle onto me is a non-weight bearing waist belt, so I just loosen that enough to spin around within the saddle. It ends up across my stomach/crotch when I shoot to my "back side" instead of across my butt/lower back in the traditional orientation.

Comment

Well, I'm pretty much done with my hunting setup for 2017.
            I added two Molle pouches to the saddle. One pouch holds a linesman's belt and the other holds a hand drill and 25 bolts for climbing.
            Here is the setup

The linesman's belt is made up of a carabiner attaching one side, and a Ropeman1 ascender attaching the other. The Ropeman1 allows the length of the linesman belt to be adjustable with only a single hand. It takes the place of the more traditional, and more cumbersome, prussic knot.

I really can't wait until I can get all this into a tree and start getting used to the new setup.
            I can't use the bolts on any WMA's or forestry service property, but private and Army Corps is fair game. Honestly, if it ends up as easy as I think it will, I may decide the properties I hunt based on being able to use bolts.

I am trying to figure out a way to use modified bicycle pedals to stand on that use the same 3/8" diameter hole to slide into as the bolts. That would really round out the system.

Last edited by IkemanTX; 12-28-2016, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Forgot to add a pic in use

Comment

have you taken any deer from that with a bow?

Comment

Originally posted by mjbtexas View Post
                  have you taken any deer from that with a bow?

No, I only got to hunt 5 or 6 days this year. I passed up a few does but haven't had any AR legal bucks in range yet. With the addition of this lighter weight saddle, the bolt climbing system, and kayak access... I think it's only a matter of time. I have done quite a bit of shooting in the setup though. It takes some practice to maintain proper form, but practicing from the tree gets you there quickly.

I plan to do quite a bit of pig hunting this offseason to break it in, though.

Comment

I dipped the bolts today. @scoutman mentioned flexseal as a possible coating instead of plastidip, as well as wire wrapped around the threads for hangers. So, I figured I'd give it a try.
                    Just some curing time, and they'll be done.

Comment

Following this ikeman. Hopefully ordering my Aero Hunter Kestrel soon and give it a try before the heat comes in. lol

Comment

I realize that I never updated this thread. I have had a few modifications to my set up over the life of this thread in the last year. I now use an Amsteel bridge instead of the adjustable bridge mentioned in the last post. (1/4” Amsteel has an approximate 8,000lb breaking strength)
                        I have already figured out my preferred bridge length, and amsteel is MUCH lighter than a rope bridge.
                        Attached is a picture.

Since the last post on this thread, a new saddle has come on the market that has, in all honesty, negated the need for DIY in the “intro diy” market. If you aren’t already hunting from a saddle and want to get into it...... buy a New Tribe Kestrel. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. It is a phenomenal saddle.

Here are a couple videos to give you an idea...

Climbing methods are all over the map for saddle hunters. There are climbing sticks (both market and custom), individual steps, drilled bolts (my favorite), linesman spurs, no-damage climbers like the EONPOW climbers.... (I’ll buy a set if you find them... seriously... just message me and they are sold).
                        Many of us stand on bolts, or strap on steps (like ameristeps, or bullman outdoors steps), or screw in steps, or the tops of our climbing sticks, or small platforms....

If you are interested in saddle hunting.... and you should be, it is the most comfortable and versatile hunting method there is on the market.... please check out www.saddlehunter.com for an absolute IMMENSE amount of information. We have over 2,300 members.

There is almost no tree you can’t use a saddle in. If you have ever wished you had a tree large enough for a stand, please check out saddle hunting!

Last edited by IkemanTX; 02-27-2018, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Posted this as a thread, but on the off chance someone followed this thread......

If you haven’t heard of saddle hunting, you should check it out. Lighter than stands, more comfortable than stands, more versatile than stands... I won’t try to convince you further, just check out saddlehunter.com for info. But, if you have already looked into saddlehunting and decided it wasn’t for you because it required too much diy (not enough tailored equipment manufactured) you are in for a treat. Several of the guys on saddlehunter.com started a business that launches their first 2 products on June 1st. They are launching with a saddle and a platform.

They have just started releasing sneak peak videos of their core system and accessories.

Some more general videos on saddlehunting.

Comment

Thanks for posting all the links!! I went through over 10 pages of teases!! Lol. I just got my Kestrel about a month ago and starting to get pretty comfortable and confident in a tree. Wild edge steps are so simple and can get over 20’ with 6 steps easily. Lake Georgetown public hunting this season is going to be exciting.

Comment

This thread has been very informative. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences Ikeman.

Takin notes over here Boss.

Comment

About to pull the trigger on a saddle just can’t decide which one to get. Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                                X