No announcement yet.

2018 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I picked some tomatoes a little early. We have twice this amount in the same stage of ripeness still on the vine and dozens of green. I also pulled a carrot to see how close they are getting. Awesome flavor but I’ll give them another month or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

always love the gardening activities

Comment

AW ain't that a cute little carrot! But bro, I think you might'a picked just a bit early

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          AW ain't that a cute little carrot! But bro, I think you might'a picked just a bit early

Right...at least now we know how “big” they are 🤣. Awesome flavor in that little bite!

Comment

2018 Gardening thread

The pollinator garden is coming along nicely... now if the tomatoes that are set would ripen!

We have more lettuce, Swiss chard, numerous varieties of kale, and red vein sorrel in the garden than salads we can eat. I think I will have to transplant seedlings next year instead of direct seeding, I went overboard this year.

Comment

Beautiful pollinator garden . Share details as to what you have planted.

Comment

My wheel barrow is growing cilantro and jalapeños. Gonna plant tomatoes onions and watermelon this week

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                  Beautiful pollinator garden . Share details as to what you have planted.

I planted several perineal plants and herbs from Lowe’s, but the flowers are the annual and perineal Texas/Oklahoma wildflower blend from American meadows.
                  Details of the species included can be found here.
                  The region of Texas and Oklahoma are famous for their own wildflowers, and this new mixture includes all the favorites.

They also have butterfly blends, hummingbird blends, beneficial insect blends, honeybee blends, and even edible wildflower mixes. I bought from them because they sell only 100% pure seed mixes with no fillers. The also don’t sell 2 season old seed... only the most recent year’s crop.

Comment

They are beautiful. Will look them up

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                      I planted several perineal plants and herbs from Lowe’s, but the flowers are the annual and perineal Texas/Oklahoma wildflower blend from American meadows.
                      Details of the species included can be found here.
                      The region of Texas and Oklahoma are famous for their own wildflowers, and this new mixture includes all the favorites.

They also have butterfly blends, hummingbird blends, beneficial insect blends, honeybee blends, and even edible wildflower mixes. I bought from them because they sell only 100% pure seed mixes with no fillers. The also don’t sell 2 season old seed... only the most recent year’s crop.

Thanks for link. Lookin good I’m gonna have a mound septic put in and was looking for something like this to sprinkle on it

Comment

It's squash season. Wont be long before people start hiding from us afraid we will be bringing more squash for them . Have to give credit to my wife. She is amazingly creative at 1,287,644,429 different ways to prepare squash! Rest of garden on fire as well. Bush beans starting to crank, tomatoes kicking in, just picked the rest of the onions and garlic to cure, all the potatoes are up, egg plant producing, cucumbers rolling,Kale, salad greens collards chard all prolific, lots of beets, berries... and on the list goes.
                        Attached Files

Comment

It's squash season. Wont be long before people start hiding from us afraid we will be bringing more squash for them . Have to give credit to my wife. She is amazingly creative at 1,287,644,429 different ways to prepare squash! Rest of garden on fire as well. Bush beans starting to crank, tomatoes kicking in, just picked the rest of the onions and garlic to cure, all the potatoes are up, egg plant producing, cucumbers rolling,Kale, salad greens collards chard all prolific, lots of beets, berries... and on the list goes.
                          That right there is pure-d veggie art! I don't want to jinx her, but though my wife's garden is the latest we've ever done, it's making into the prettiest one so far! As posted earlier in this thread, she's planted over half of it 3 times because of too much rain... Her squash, cukes, peas, peppers, greens (don't have a clue what kind), 'maters all are looking really good...

Those 2 rows of blackberries are going completely nutso! They are about 80 feet long and we're getting 2+gallons of berries off EACH row every 3 to 4 days!! AND they're still blooming! Crazy thing is, wife and daughter planted 2 more rows last weekend!! I can eat just so many cobblers and jelly...

Comment

My bush beans and squash are dying and I’m not sure why the zucchini are producing like crazy but every thing else is just so so.

Comment

How do you like those pattypan squashes? I hear they produce like crazy.

We have only grown yellow and zucchini squash because we just dice or spiralize. The odd shape doesn’t really fit into how we prepare ours.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                                How do you like those pattypan squashes? I hear they produce like crazy.

We have only grown yellow and zucchini squash because we just dice or spiralize. The odd shape doesn’t really fit into how we prepare ours.

They are very productive. I’ve picked 5 or 6 off same Bush in last 3 days. Wife cuts top out ,scallops out inside then stuffs. Spicy lamb, or lentils and rice. Lots of options. Tonight she’s stuffing with ground turkey,quinoa , brown rice onions garlic bone broth, lots of herbs all mixed with innards from squash. Sliced avocado and tomato on top. That of course with fresh picked green beans and salad from the garden
                                Last edited by elgato; 05-27-2018, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X