No announcement yet.

EastTX Huntin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Angelina National Forest is a great place to hunt. This is my first year to bow hunt and I have killed 2 out there so far. I haven't even had a chance to go lately, but i hear they are chasing does right now!

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStarV View Post
      Are game cameras allowed on public land?

Probably not the smartest idea if they are but could be useful if well hidden and checked regularly.
      Game Cameras are legal but you cant bait them, not for hunting over or to get pictures over. Just talked to a forrest ranger told me fine was somewhere between 150 to 300 and take your gun or bow if hunting over bait. So I know your thinking ok over a scrape or rub. Only problem there is others r looking for those same signs. AND im affraid your camera might come up missing. Ive been lucky took pictures of 3 differant hunters that had souls and didnt steal. So any time putting out cameras on public land is a gamble. But what a gamble if you get a great picture of a big buck

Comment

Originally posted by slicktrik View Post
        angelina national forest is a great place to hunt. This is my first year to bow hunt and i have killed 2 out there so far. I haven't even had a chance to go lately, but i hear they are chasing does right now!
        shhhhhhhhhh

Comment

In Davy Crockett NF you have Ratcliff Hwy 7 out of Nacogdoches, Neches Bluff 21 out of Nac to Alto to Neches Bluff, you have Big Slough.. all of these as stated before offer GREAT Hunting..

Ratcliff Lake Campground is closed at this time due to Storm Damage... May open by Oct 1st.. (I hope) there are many primitive camp sites also available.

Comment

Originally posted by nagybucks View Post
            Game Cameras are legal but you cant bait them, not for hunting over or to get pictures over. Just talked to a forrest ranger told me fine was somewhere between 150 to 300 and take your gun or bow if hunting over bait. So I know your thinking ok over a scrape or rub. Only problem there is others r looking for those same signs. AND im affraid your camera might come up missing. Ive been lucky took pictures of 3 differant hunters that had souls and didnt steal. So any time putting out cameras on public land is a gamble. But what a gamble if you get a great picture of a big buck

Did you happen to get a game cam pic of someones butt? If so for a small fee I'll tell you who it was.

Comment

Hope this helps those looking for tracts with the APH permit/walk-in hunts (TPWD) for white-tailed deer

Map booklet - http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...able_contents/

Annual Public Hunting Permit (APH) Units that allow White-tailed Deer Hunting for 2011-2012 season

Requires the APH, $48 permit in addition to a valid hunting license

Please check each Unit for seasons, legal means & methods that may be used. Not all species may be taken on all units. Refer to the Legal Game legends on individual unit maps to determine which species may be taken on each unit. If a species or season is not listed in the Legal Game box, there is no hunting allowed for that species or by that particular means on the unit. Example, if under deer there is only an archery season listed, then there is no gun hunting allowed for deer on that area.

Region 3 – Central Texas:
              San Angelo SP – Unit #1166

Region 4 – Dallas/Ft. Worth:
              Cooper WMA - Unit #731
              South Sulfur Unit-Cooper Lake SP - Unit #1155
              Caddo National Grasslands WMA - Bois D’ Arc Unit #901N
              Caddo National Grasslands WMA - Ladonia Unit #901S
              Tawakoni WMA - Unit #708
              Pat Mayse WMA - Unit #705

Region 5 - Pineywoods:
              White Oak Creek WMA - Unit #727
              Angelina Neches/Dam B WMA - Unit #707
              Caddo Lake WMA - Unit #730
              Alazan Bayou WMA – Unit #747E
              Alazan Bayou WMA – Unit #747W
              Campbell Timberland Mgmt. Newton County - Unit #122
              Sabine River Authority Panola County - Unit #630
              Moore Plantation WMA - Unit #902
              Campbell Timberland Mgmt. Unit #106
              Bannister WMA - Unit #903
              North Toledo Bend WMA - Unit #615
              Old Sabine Bottom WMA - Unit #732
              Alabama Creek WMA - Unit #904

Region 6 – Austin/Waco:
              Somerville WMA - Unit #711
              Luminant Texas - Robertson County - Unit #607

Region 7 – Houston/Beaumont:
              Sam Houston National Forest WMA - Unit #905
              Last edited by ground level; 09-14-2011, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jawill1986 View Post
                I know you can hunt in parts of the angelina national forest on the northeast side of sam rayburn but i think it is restricted to a certain part of the park.. i have always been curious about what the park holds bc i have land a few miles upstream that is part of the attoyac river bottoms and have seen a few good deer in the past few years and have always wondered if it would be worth my wild to go thru the trouble to hunt the public land...

shhhhhhhh...... I'm guessing you're on the San Augustine Co side?

Comment

Hey everyone, Im new to texas and im looking for some good Public hunting land . Im near the Houston area.

Comment

Originally posted by PSEBryan View Post
                    Hey everyone, Im new to texas and im looking for some good Public hunting land . Im near the Houston area.
                    check out the sam houston national forest thread, lots of good info there and welcome to Texas!

Comment

Thank you.. have you ever been out there?

Comment

Taking notes.

Comment

sam houston national forest is a great place to hunt.

Comment

Dont mean to butt in on your thread but i was wondering is there a permit that alllows you to just hunt for a few days im stationed in south korea and will be in for only 12 days and looks like i may have to hunt white oak wma thanks

Comment

Originally posted by txbowhunter08 View Post
                              Dont mean to butt in on your thread but i was wondering is there a permit that alllows you to just hunt for a few days im stationed in south korea and will be in for only 12 days and looks like i may have to hunt white oak wma thanks
                              Seeing you are active duty your state license should be paid for. The permit is annual and it is only $48. There are other areas (non WMAs) where no permit is required. It is free to you.

Comment

does anyone know if theres camping at unit #707 angelina neches? and if so is that a good area? cant find to much to read on it. thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X