Carry weapon suggestions for a TINY female

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carry weapon suggestions for a TINY female

My girlfriend recently, out of nowhere, asked if I'd help her obtain her LTC. Having never shot a gun before, she definitely surprised me with the request. I am obviously all for it. She lives in an older neighborhood that's surrounded by some pretty rough spots and occasionally makes late night drives home from my place. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with her stopping for gas at midnight if I knew she could defend herself. She's probably 5' and 110 pounds (at most) so her appearance would just scream "victim" to a potential "bad guy" in an empty parking lot.

Anyways... I need some suggestions for guns to look at. We are going to start with a S&W .22 Revolver I've got so as to get her used to the gun going "bang" when she pulls the trigger. Also, figured the rev is a bit more user-friendly, in my opinion. Willing to hear some suggestions on semis too, though. Concealability isn't too big of an issue as she will be carrying in her purse. Still, smaller caliber/frame preferred....

Ladies, what works for you?

Fellas, what do your daughters/wives/etc carry?

TIA, y'all!

380 or 9mm

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
      380 or 9mm
      Definitely. Really, I was asking for model suggestions.

Comment

Walther pk380

Search By Series PDP PDP F-Series PDP Match Steel Frame PD380 WMP PPK PPK/s PDP PDP F-Series PDP Match Steel Frame PD380 WMP PPK PPK/s PPS CCP P22Q P22Q CA Q4 Steel Frame Q5 Match Steel Frame PPQ .45 PPS CCP P22Q P22Q CA Q4 Steel Frame Q5 Match Steel Frame PPQ .45 PPQ .22…

Comment

Originally posted by Jared.King View Post
          Good-looking gun and a decent price point. Any first-hand experience with the gun or Walther, in general?

Comment

I recommend a revolver in 38sp for those that are not used to handling guns.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
              I recommend a revolver in 38sp for those that are not used to handling guns.
              That's the plan for now. Looking for model suggestions

Comment

Ruger LCR with 38 special or .327 federal.

38 is not fun to shoot but gets the job done. the .327 is really not bad. The .357 Mag is only for those that are masochists.

Comment

What is your price range?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                      What is your price range?
                      $300 - $400 or so. Obviously, cheaper would be ideal … given that the gun can perform, of course.

Comment

The wife likes her shield a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                          Ruger LCR with 38 special or .327 federal.

38 is not fun to shoot but gets the job done. the .327 is really not bad. The .357 Mag is only for those that are masochists.
                          Lol recently sold my 357 mag Looking into the LCR.

Also ... If anyone in the Houston area has a gun that fits our needs and wants to get rid of it, I'd be willing to hear about it.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                            Good-looking gun and a decent price point. Any first-hand experience with the gun or Walther, in general?
                            It's what my wife wants. Haven't shot it yet, but it's ergonomic. .380 won't kick much, and I like the 8+1 capacity. I just don't want to get her any .380, some of the small frame handguns are great for concealment, but hard to shoot. Even the little .380 can be a little snappy on a smaller gun. I wanted to get her one that was comfortable for her to shoot and practice with, and be able to stow it in her purse.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                              Lol recently sold my 357 mag Looking into the LCR.

Also ... If anyone in the Houston area has a gun that fits our needs and wants to get rid of it, I'd be willing to hear about it.
                              If you want her to shoot several carry pistols......I have several and am in NW Houston (Cypress).

I have the LCR, SC9, and Full sized .45s.

Comment

Working...
                              X