Which Brand of Air Conditioner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
    Any brand is only as good as its installer.

All the actual ac guys that commented above recommended whichever brand they sell, which is understandable. The rest probably recommended what they have in their own homes.

Daikin owns Goodman manufacturing, which is Houston-based, and they just built the largest hvac mfr plant in the world there. Being American made gives them points (daikin, Amana, and Goodman units are built there) and also means they have a strong distribution in Texas.
    Carrier makes a decent product, in Mexico.
    Same with ruud/rheem.

In my opinion, trane is riding their brand recognition and is putting out some of the worst units on the market. Lots of mfr defects, lots of plastic components.

Pick a company you think you can trust and has great warranties and guarantees. That’s way more important than the brand of the equipment.
    Hmm I agree with most of this extcept the Trane comment. I sell all major brands and get good pricing from them all too. Now if you are talking basic models then yes all the same. But when talking higher seer and modulating/variable speed units Trane has the one of the best if not the best units. Lennox is close and the rest are not even considered. Heck Goodman doesn’t even offer one. They use a 3rd party line in Franklin. So if you want lower end builders grade then yes Goodman is spitting them out but that’s not our market. Dakien is making a come back for sure but still not near the proven years as Trane. I have not had a single unit come out from the warehouse with a “defect”. Plastic weather guard tops reduce vibration of the fan motor so it’s quieter. Just a heckuva a statement saying they are the worse in the market but yet they have been our go to brand for 15yrs and I would sell something else before I delt with defects and plastic crappy units and that’s not the case here.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
      Goodman is a subsidiary of Daikin, so Goodman still designs and builds Goodman units.
      Yeah, just like a son that lives at home makes all of his choices without the approval of his parents. (sarcasm)

Daikin owns Goodman. They don't open their doors on Monday morning without Daikin's blessing.

Seriously? What is the next debate? Toyota and Lexus? Nissan and Infinity? GM and Cadillac?

Comment

Trane is still very good, but they have been losing ground due to their design choices over the last 2 years.

B+ to A- now vs when they were the best.

Comment

You live in TX with long, hot summers, so get a unit that is not too high end. Go middle of the road to save some money on install and also save money on repairs (which all units need at one time or another). I relate it to a Ford vs Mercedes. The Ford will save you money up front and on parts in the future. Also, like mentioned above, the installer plays the biggest part of the whole deal.

Comment

Originally posted by JGlock30 View Post
            You live in TX with long, hot summers, so get a unit that is not too high end. Go middle of the road to save some money on install and also save money on repairs (which all units need at one time or another). I relate it to a Ford vs Mercedes. The Ford will save you money up front and on parts in the future. Also, like mentioned above, the installer plays the biggest part of the whole deal.
            Going with Mercedes in the debate makes an easy story to shoot holes in. Everyone knows they are as expensive to own as a Jaguar or BMW.

Suggest a debate comparison like that of a Ford/Chevy/Dodge to Toyota/Honda. There lies a true argument similar to that of Trane/Daikin vs Rheem/York/Goodman/Am Std, ect
            Last edited by tigerscowboy; 06-06-2018, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
              Hmm I agree with most of this extcept the Trane comment. I sell all major brands and get good pricing from them all too. Now if you are talking basic models then yes all the same. But when talking higher seer and modulating/variable speed units Trane has the one of the best if not the best units. Lennox is close and the rest are not even considered. Heck Goodman doesn’t even offer one. They use a 3rd party line in Franklin. So if you want lower end builders grade then yes Goodman is spitting them out but that’s not our market. Dakien is making a come back for sure but still not near the proven years as Trane. I have not had a single unit come out from the warehouse with a “defect”. Plastic weather guard tops reduce vibration of the fan motor so it’s quieter. Just a heckuva a statement saying they are the worse in the market but yet they have been our go to brand for 15yrs and I would sell something else before I delt with defects and plastic crappy units and that’s not the case here.
              I should have mentioned that I would favor daikin and amana over Goodman due to how flimsy Goodman cabinet strength is.

How many new trane air handlers do you see with the door seams taped up because the positive-pressure air handler blows air out of every seam and the doors won’t stay tight enough to keep it in?

And daikin was the first to use the variable speed compressor over 30 years ago. I would hardly say they are catching up.

Comment

For you folks that install Trane units, have y'all had trouble with leaking coils?

As I mentioned above, I'm on my 5th. coil in 9 years. One only lasted two months.

The company that installed mine quit recommending or selling Trane about 3 years ago. The technicians told me they had many units with coil leaks and got tired of dealing with unhappy customers. They now sell Daikin.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                  I should have mentioned that I would favor daikin and amana over Goodman due to how flimsy Goodman cabinet strength is.

How many new trane air handlers do you see with the door seams taped up because the positive-pressure air handler blows air out of every seam and the doors won’t stay tight enough to keep it in?

And daikin was the first to use the variable speed compressor over 30 years ago. I would hardly say they are catching up.
                  Agreed! They are "catching up" by trying to expand and bring equipment that is "new" to the stagnant US market maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                    Going with Mercedes in the debate makes an easy story to shoot holes in. Everyone knows they are as expensive to own as a Jaguar or BMW.

Suggest a debate comparison like that of a Ford/Chevy/Dodge to Toyota/Honda. There lies a true argument similar to that of Trane/Daikin vs Rheem/York/Goodman/Am Std, ect
                    Not really sure why you threw AmStd and Trane on different sides of that argument.

American Standard is what I would buy if I was putting a new system in. Trane/American Standard are all made in the same plants and are owned by Ingersol Rand. American Standard's distributors have the BEST customer service and support in the industry.

And, to the person with 5 leaking coils in 9 years...something else is going on. That shouldn't be happening.

Comment

We had Trane and it ran good until it didn't. Replaced a coil last year and the second system ran into the same issues 3 weeks before our buyers closed on our house. Set me back $1,100 because when we called in the serial numbers for the units being new homeowners we didn't know that you have to give them the serial numbers for BOTH units otherwise only one is covered for 10 years and the other is only covered for 5 years! This is important to know and from what I was also told, Trane is aware that this happens often, and they bank on it so that they only have to warranty about half of their failed coils. Don't get me wrong I like Trane but I think their little business model is total BS.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post
                        Not really sure why you threw AmStd and Trane on different sides of that argument.

American Standard is what I would buy if I was putting a new system in. Trane/American Standard are all made in the same plants and are owned by Ingersol Rand. American Standard's distributors have the BEST customer service and support in the industry.

And, to the person with 5 leaking coils in 9 years...something else is going on. That shouldn't be happening.
                        I agree. It shouldn't be happening. The technicians told me that the coils are made so thin that it only takes a little bit of corrosion for them to start leaking. Trane told me it could be caused by the environment.

Comment

Originally posted by SFAbowhunter View Post

On different sides because it was correlating debates such as when people want to compare items such as Toyota and Lexus, Nissan and Infinity, GM and Cadillac.

I've been to numerous manufacturing plants as well and witnessed different brands coming off the same lines built by the same workers with identical or similar components.

Comment

So nobody said what brand NOT to get....well, that'd be Frigidaire. This piece of junk has been worked on at least every other year since it was about 3 years old. It is now almost 10 years since we built our house, and I'm reading this thread to decide what new AC to get.

Comment

Trane, too many coil leaks. I wouldn't go with trane for residential. For small chillers, trane or carrier, large chillers, trane.

The big problem with coils is, efficiency and economy. Coils are made with thin copper for efficiency, and copper sells by weight, so we get paper thin coils, which have very little resistance to formicary corrosion. Thicker copper seems to be immune, or it just takes 20 yrs to eat through. So some of the 9 coil issue above could very well be environmental. A few years ago, every manufacturer had coil problems. Some have went to total aluminum to combat this.

I like lennox and lennox spin off products, mostly Air Ease splits, and Allied rooftop units. But what do I know, only been doing this for 44 years.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                                Trane, too many coil leaks. I wouldn't go with trane for residential. For small chillers, trane or carrier, large chillers, trane.

The big problem with coils is, efficiency and economy. Coils are made with thin copper for efficiency, and copper sells by weight, so we get paper thin coils, which have very little resistance to formicary corrosion. Thicker copper seems to be immune, or it just takes 20 yrs to eat through. So some of the 9 coil issue above could very well be environmental. A few years ago, every manufacturer had coil problems. Some have went to total aluminum to combat this.

I like lennox and lennox spin off products, mostly Air Ease splits, and Allied rooftop units. But what do I know, only been doing this for 44 years.
                                I have a High end RUUD system that I installed in 2012 that both the coils have gone out in. It was originally Copper / Aluminum coils and the replacement coils have been all Aluminum coils (which I hope hold up) both were under warranty however you have to pay for install and Freon ($900 for first one, $1400 for second one). Aside from this coil issue they have worked very well. My issues is that I mean come on, how long has these companies been making coils, by now these things should not fail, if it cost a lot to make one thick enough and well built enough to hold up for 20 years then so be it, charge me for that coil. Every metallurgist know dissimilar metals sets up corrosion so in my RUUD unit there should never have been a copper and aluminum(fins) coils.

One thing I do know is the outside condenser on these high end units must be kept clean. You need a low pressure power washer and clean them out. Last week my service guy replaced the coil and then cleaned my condensers very good. I hope this is the end of my issue with this RUUD system.

My service guys has been a friend for years so he shoots straight with me.

RD
                                Last edited by ranchdog; 06-19-2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X