Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the coldest weather you've hunted in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Six degrees in Iowa. Had an ice storm then snow on top. It was miserable even though I thought I was prepared. Had so many layers on I could hardly move !

On a duck hunt in my teens we had to break ice in the coves of Lake Palestine with the boat. Don't know how cold it was, and didn't care. Young and tough. Too bad to work, but not too bad to duck hunt !

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
      *0 In Fredericksburg
      * 10 on the Katy prairie goose hunt with butch Wagner (coffee spilled in my gun and froze it solid)
      * 17-20 for 6 days with no electricity or water Webb county
      * 6 in sterling city snowed I -10 shutdown and we drove in 4x4 from San Angelo to kerrville (my longest 4x4 adventure)
      When was this?

Comment

-4 in Kentucky with about 4” of snow. Brrrrr

Comment

18 deg. Jack Co about 15-20 years ago. Don't think I would do it now. Camped in the bed of my truck with a tarp over the top. Had a good bag and it made it real hard to get out of it and get dressed for the hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by keng View Post
            -4 in ohio. snot was freezing on my mustache before I could get them licked off

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
              17* with ~15mph north wind (unknown wind chill) and spitting sleet/freezing rain while duck hunting at Cooper lake. Had to use the boat to break 2" of ice to set decoys. Run the boat up on the ice sheet and jump up and down in the boat to get the ice to break. Slide the large chunks of ice under the existing unbroken ice. Standing in mid-thigh water to hunt, had to walk a lap every once in a while in the decoy spread to break ice to give the ducks a place to land. The dog stands were frozen solid against the trees, ice had covered the chain so thick you could barely wrap your hand around it... We had to leave them there until the next weekend. The dogs were completely covered in ice. That thermos of coffee and bottle of Canadian Mist didn't last too long that day! One of the dogs bolted off her dog stand for no reason... She swam straight to the boat, climbed in amongst the camo netting and burlap, got on top of my big dry box and took a dump We didn't realize it until we got back to the boat. Yes, it was frozen to the dry box lol. With the help of a stick, it was removed in one swift strike. When we were finished hunting, had to use the butt stocks of our gun to break the ice from around the boat because it had frozen in place. One of the most memorable duck hunts I've ever been on. We slaughtered the ducks, straight greenheads with greyduck kickers for all 4 of us
              That's awesome!

Comment

10° 2 full day sits and tent camping

Comment

I aint that mad at them anymore.

Comment

8* in Webb County - Dec. 22-23, 1989

Comment

-18 in Fairbanks, Alaska.

Comment

8 degrees F.

Don't really care to be that cold again.

Comment

In Harper several years ago the temp inside the cabin was 9. The place had no insulation so it was probably 9 outside as well.

-john

Comment

4 In North Texas duck hunting.

Comment

11 in Missouri. too cold

Comment

-36° without the wind chill. Western North Dakota, late season archery, making pushes in the river bottom. 3 tags, traditional bows, we had 2 deer by noon, called it good. I have the frostbite scar on my face to prove it!!

I just look for warmer places to hint now.

Comment

Working...
                                X