Hauling equipment???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hauling equipment???

Can anyone tell me where to find the regs on how to understand trucks, trailers and equipment. I'm purchasing a new skid steer that weighs 12,100 lbs. Current truck is Ford f350 that has GVWR of 11,500. I do not have a CDL and would prefer not getting one. Looking for new trailer for this setup. Any recs or info where I stand would be appreciated.

I’m no help finding official verbiage online. But my understanding is 26,000 is the combined truck/trailer gvwr limit for in-state hauling without a CDL. Regardless of how much weight is on the trailer. You can get yourself there very quickly with a one ton.

Side-bar: Is it true the limit drops to 10,000 for crossing state lines? Can one even drive an empty F350 across the line without a cdl?
    Last edited by 30-30; 12-14-2019, 02:16 PM.

Comment

26k. So your truck,trailer,and Machine can’t weigh over that. Your at 23,600 right now. That only leaves about 2,400 lbs for a trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Bassbuster View Post
        26k. So your truck,trailer,and Machine can’t weigh over that. Your at 23,600 right now. That only leaves about 2,400 lbs for a trailer.
        That’s not quite how it works, even though it’s close. His truck weighs roughly 9,000, but has an 11,500 GVWR. That means the most trailer he can even hook up to empty is one with a GVWR if 14,500 lbs or less. The two GVWR can’t exceed 26,000. They could care less if the trailer is unloaded and only weighs 5,000 lbs.

Comment

OP I have the same truck as you. Any trailer that’s rated to carry that heavy machine is going to legally put you into CDL territory. There are no ways around it. Now you can try and skirt by without being noticed, and depending on your locale you may be quite successful. I’m in the Permian basin, so I don’t even attempt it. DOT is very strict out here.

Comment

Farm tags if you qualify. If it’s for commercial use, you don’t.

Comment

First is to find a scale and get the actual weight of your truck.

Truck weight plus machine weight will then tell you how much you have left to work with.

Most trailer manufacturers publish their empty trailer weight.

Stay under 26,000lbs total and you don’t need a CDL.

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
                First is to find a scale and get the actual weight of your truck.

Truck weight plus machine weight will then tell you how much you have left to work with.

Most trailer manufacturers publish their empty trailer weight.

Stay under 26,000lbs total and you don’t need a CDL.
                Truck weight doesn’t matter. 11,500 is his truck GVWR. His trailer GVWR can’t exceed 14,500. Doesn’t matter if they’re unloaded and only weigh 14,000 combined. It’s the GVWR that DOT goes by.

Comment

^This. Combined GVWR of truck and trailer can’t exceed 26.

Comment

I’ve got a F350 and a Kubota SVL90-2 skid steer and haul it most of the time on a 24’ gooseneck lowboy with 2 7k axles. I’ve also got a 30’ dual tandem with 10k axles that I bought specifically to haul the skid steer, but I have only used it to haul hay for the last couple or three years. I’ve got farm tags on all my trailers.
                    If your going to be using the skid steer commercially, get a CDL and a dual tandem trailer. If it’s for personal use, get farm tags on whatever trailer you choose, and you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
                      ^This. Combined GVWR of truck and trailer can’t exceed 26.
                      I don’t have a CDL and had a BOBCAT E55 excavator Cab with A/C, Machine weights 12,500lbs I have a 16 foot lowboy bumper pull with two 7k axle and am way under the 26000 with the whole rig
                      With my 25 foot top hat gooseneck I was probably getting closer to the limit
                      I have type 2 diabetes and hear with that I would need a physical every year to keep a CDL
                      I would research getting a trailer that will haul your skidder , but also not so large as to draw attention from DOT

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
                        I don’t have a CDL and had a BOBCAT E55 excavator Cab with A/C, Machine weights 12,500lbs I have a 16 foot lowboy bumper pull with two 7k axle and am way under the 26000 with the whole rig
                        I have type 2 diabetes and hear with that I would need a physical every year to keep a CDL
                        I would research getting a trailer that will haul your skidder , but also not so large as to draw attention from DOT
                        Can you tell me what trailer make and model you have please?

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                          Can you tell me what trailer make and model you have please?
                          Sorry I bought the excavator and trailer as a combo (can’t remember brand) and sold the hoe and kept the trailer ( I really like it, just would like to upgrade the brakes to electrical instead of hydraulic)
                          I think it is a diamond C mod EQT 16
                          When the job calls for grit, reliability and just plain old ‘get it done’ attitude, our entire lineup of heavy duty equipment trailers shines.
                          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 12-14-2019, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                            Truck weight doesn’t matter. 11,500 is his truck GVWR. His trailer GVWR can’t exceed 14,500. Doesn’t matter if they’re unloaded and only weigh 14,000 combined. It’s the GVWR that DOT goes by.

This man is steering you the right direction. Others...notsomuch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post

You still weren’t legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X