• Show
Clear All

That's a STUD!!!

Comment

Wow.

Comment

He's got it all!!

Comment

Always happy to show off garden. Right now I have carrots, every pepper imaginable, every kind of tomato imaginable 5 different kinds of squashes, pole beans, bush beans,beets, kale, chard, collards, 2 different kinds of egg plant,cucumber, and an asparagus bed. Keep the garden year round and makes substantial portion of our diet. Wife also has a giant herb garden.

Off to pick blue berries now. Farm living!!!
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
            ^^^ Central La. Rapides parish. Glad you enjoy.
            Right where I grew up and killed many critters.
            Just about anything will grow in that dirt.

Comment

Did you plant the blue berries? Y'all have chickens , etc? Love the thread. Thanx

Comment

Good lord that's a stud of a buck

Comment

^^^ You bet. Full orchard...blue berries, nectarines, peaches,apples, pears, plums, persimmons,may haws, straw berries, all the citrus [which had a tough winter!] almonds, figs, muscadines, grapes, black berries, and pomagranit.

Raise chickens...both broilers and egg layers, turkeys, and guineas.

Everything organic! Even moving that way with all food plots. Not so easy there,

Our goal is to be self sufficient. Tricky part is olive oil, avacados [ though wife is trying to grow that ] and wine. Again wife spoiled to better wine than muscadine or anything grown here.

Suspect I'll be importing whiskey for the cocktail safaris as well.

Comment

Wow man great job on the deer I pulled cards today and was happy to see g3s. Lol

Comment

NICE Do u gun and bow hunt? And how great is it to watch the Deer and wildlife live and prosper on what u have done. it is a great thing to see what goes on my smaller place after all the hard work. And I think!! I understand all the hard work u have put in to get where u are. to you. Please continue

Comment

Labor of love for sure. Emphasis on labor. We work 12 months a year here as there are always projects. The process never stops.

Short answer is gun only. I work too hard growing these deer to trust my archery skills with these top end bucks. Used to bow hunt a lot though.

The challenge with keeping trophy hunting exciting is dealing with the fact you dont shoot much. Not unusual for me to not take a trophy for several seasons. I have compensated by getting in to video. It's awesome. Catch and release deer hunting. Then I get to spend the off season editing and reliving the season producing DVD's. Great for archiving bucks and watching them grow and evolve as well.

Comment

I smell a TV show in the works. With studs like you have, and the great management practices. Very much like Growing Deer TV.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
                            Labor of love for sure. Emphasis on labor. We work 12 months a year here as there are always projects. The process never stops.

Short answer is gun only. I work too hard growing these deer to trust my archery skills with these top end bucks. Used to bow hunt a lot though.

The challenge with keeping trophy hunting exciting is dealing with the fact you dont shoot much. Not unusual for me to not take a trophy for several seasons. I have compensated by getting in to video. It's awesome. Catch and release deer hunting. Then I get to spend the off season editing and reliving the season producing DVD's. Great for archiving bucks and watching them grow and evolve as well.
                            I think you have the DVD making down!! I'm ready to see one from you LA ranch! What's the hold up?

Comment

Continued awesomeness with this thread! I'm speechless on that buck!

I'm may be more jealous of the blueberries though....I could eat my weight in them!

Comment

Been a great year for clover. First crimson and berseem, followed by arrow leaf. The durana has been outstanding this summer but my favorite has been the red ace. Frankly I am seeing the most deer activity in the clover and vetch even more so than the peas and beans. And the red clover appears to be their favorite now. With all the summer rains this year it is doing fantastic.Here's a pic of a 2 yr old stand with durana underneath it.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X