Low down on elk on public land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JustinJ View Post
    Depending on gear you already own, an elk hunt can be done for close to 1k. Biggest expense is tag and gas. Food doesn't count as you're gonna spend money on food no matter if you're hunting or not, as long as you aren't buying a lot of junk you wouldn't eat at home.

If you've got camping gear, an elk hunt doesn't need to be expensive. I would spend money on a GOOD pair of boots, but other than that cheap used stuff will work for the most part.

Finding elk and getting one out if you're lucky is the hard part.

No better time to do it than now! And ain't a dang thing wrong with OTC units, I hunt one every year while saving up points. Theres plenty of room for everyone out there.
    This .....

Good boots and a good rain suit. Dont hunt further in than you can pack one out. If you need camping gear, Im sure several of us have some you could borrow. Split the gas 2 or 3 ways. Dont pass an opportunity at a cow, especially on your first one. There is nothing better than the mountains, even if you dont see an elk.

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
      So at almost 52 I have this hunt on my mind. Problem is I am 50/50 on if I can do it physically, mentally etc

2 back surgeries kinda damper your spirits when thinking of elk in Colorado. I should have done this way back before age and physical inabilities. Let me hear it from those who have been there done that.

I don't need the YouTube folks who have ZERO experience with these hunts. Tell me your thoughts on gear, accommodations, money needed, gear, tags etc.

If you have been tell me what it is really like.
      Go to hunttalk.com. I've noticed far better info there than tbh for elk hunting. Rokslide will get you good deals on used equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Darton View Post
        I agree 100% Been there and done that! For you boys that do it for less than a grand you must be on the Dave Ramsey plan on steroids
        Location, location,

Last seasons -DIY
        Buddy hunt-CO elk hunt -right at a Grand.
        Solo-NM mule deer hunt way less then a grand
        Solo -Antelope wayless then a grand.

Actually only DIY hunt in last 10years that cost me over a grand are my idaho hunts, gas is a big one there. It’s only a 24hr Drive one way

I’m not counting gear. You count you Rifle or bow?

I normally hunt three to four states a year. So even if I took gear into account divided by its individual trips over the years, it’s cheapens up a ton.

I highly recommend tags over gear, but I can’t say much I don’t exactly have cheap gear but it’s a comfort thing not an absolute.

Comment

There's some units in Colorado with easy terrain and easy to draw cow tags. Think hunting elk in pronghorn country. Those are fun hunts. Plus Colorado will let you refund a tag if you find a better deal.

Wyoming has that too, but their nonresident elk application period has passed.

Comment

Not counting any gear you can do the trip( tag, fuel, food, 2 night hotel(one on the way up one mid week) for $1000 - $1200 each with 2 people. This is OTC Colorado. I was lucking enough to get a bear and a bull this past September at age 52. The pack out was the challenging part. We tent camped at the truck and hiked in/out each day. The scenery along is worth the trip. Hiking-hunting was very doable-just take your time.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
              Skip the GPS. Buy a onxhunt membership and download the maps and app. That’s all I used in New Mexico this last year. No need for service or anything gps still works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I have seen a few show guys like Newberg use them. Are these legit? I spoke to one guy last night and he uses it.

He stated it tells him within a few feet he is crossing onto private land (criminal trespass). Does this sound accurate? Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                Go to hunttalk.com. I've noticed far better info there than tbh for elk hunting. Rokslide will get you good deals on used equipment.
                I have been on that as well, Thank you sir

Comment

I have seen a few show guys like Newberg use them. Are these legit? I spoke to one guy last night and he uses it.

He stated it tells him within a few feet he is crossing onto private land (criminal trespass). Does this sound accurate? Thanks,

Accurate. I use mine in the DCNF when I want to hunt those tight spots that are close to private property and I've walked up to 50 yards from a property line and it knew exactly which way I was facing standing in a pine thicket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Following along I have Elk fever right now. We are taking a family trip to Durango to visit my sister, so I’m hoping I can get some good info.

Comment

I have a 38ft toyhauler, a group of 6 guys could stay in it comfortably, and split fuel cost... is something like this useless in Colorado for elk hunting? is a tent better? I sure would like to get some return on my investment.

Comment

I have been on that as well, Thank you sir
                        FYI, if you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me. We are backpacking 8 days in Colorado this year, either first or second rifle. There is tons of public info for finding elk out there already, including CPW website that show resident elk herds and migration patterns.

Gohunt and onx maps are your friends too, and well worth the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by pafdrn View Post
                          I have a 38ft toyhauler, a group of 6 guys could stay in it comfortably, and split fuel cost... is something like this useless in Colorado for elk hunting? is a tent better? I sure would like to get some return on my investment.
                          Depends on where you go. Forest service roads are hit or miss, and I would hate to get half way up one with a toy hauler only to find a tree across and no where to turn around for miles.

You could always park it in an open area, and run 4 wheelers to the trail head. But you aren't going to get far from motors and other things that elk hate that way.

Comment

Tags went up this year To 660$ I lived there as a Navy recruiter in grand junction from 2009 to 2013. It was hard hunting during archery but I always managed to see elk on public land. If your not taking horses its gonna be real hard for u. Elk don't hang out anywhere close unless u have access to private.
                            Last edited by NAVY CHIEF; 02-16-2018, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Gonna cost you $$ way more than a grand!!!

Comment

I've been going opening week of archery otc 4 of the last 5 years and have shot two bulls and 2 cows. The man who heads the group I go with is 67, so at your age it's absolutely doable, unless you're just way out of shape. We have a base camp then use atv's/utv's to get to trailheads to walk in. Some of our hunting areas are 15 miles from camp, some are 2 miles...... The elk we hunt are "Resident" elk and we're at around 8-9k ft. Water holes are good locations that time of year, the problem is finding the ones well off the road and ones you can't see on Google Earth

Comment

Working...
                                X