Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to haggle with Directv, what package and how much do you pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had nothing but good experiences with Direct TV. I would say that they have gone above and beyond to keep me happy. Like I said, if you don't like the person you are talking to or not getting anywhere, just hang up and call back.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
      We've been with Directv for over 10 years now. Currently have one HD DVR in the living room and one standard receiver (non-HD) in the bedroom. No premium channels, just the middle of the road package that includes the sports channels. Our bill runs just over $100 per month. I see all the promo deals for new customers that are significantly better than this. What do you have, channel and feature-wise and what is your monthly bill? I want to have a good bit of data in hand before I call and threaten to jump ship.

FIOS and U-verse fanboys need not respond, they aren't an option in Podunk, Texas.
      I have pretty much the same service as you but I have Outdoor Package, NFL RedZone, ESPN Game Plan and every Fox Sports channel nationwide but all this is with DISH NETWORK for $48/month.

I couldn't stand the DirectTV guide and slow response time on the remote, not to mention the gouging you take on a monthly basis when the bill came, so I switched to DishNetwork and haven't looked back.

If you want to switch to them PM me and list me as a referral and we will both get $50.

Comment

We have very basic DirectTV service, not even HD. My wife recently called them to tell them we would be moving to Dish and we got out bill cut almost in half, plus they were going to give us another DVR for upstairs, but we decided against that.

Comment

Originally posted by Heath View Post
          Yes, ask for the rententions department. I have my bill down to $60 a month and I have HD, DVR, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax, Choice Xtra, Sportspack and had NFL Sunday Ticket, NFL Sunday Ticket to Go, College Gameplan. Most of this was complaining about them not having the Longhorn Network. I got all of this without having to sign back into contract. If you don't like the person you are speaking with and don't think it is going any where you can hang up and call back later to speak to someone else. Everything is logged though so keep that in mind, but sometimes some of the rententions department give you the world with you just being silent. Let them do the talking.
          I did this also about 4 months ago, Don't talk to the first person, ask for the retention dept., Don't take the first offer, tell them you are going to switch to Dish...I have 5 receivers and all are HD and Showtime and Starz and I pay less than $80 a month. It is weird that you get nice people on the other end and they can do all kinds of stuff for you.
          Last edited by TENRMORE; 01-11-2012, 11:07 AM. Reason: change

Comment

Huh looks like I am goin to have to call dish and gripe a little. We have one of the upper basic packages and pay $102 a month. Looks like I will see how my haggling goes. Hope I can get WFN.

Comment

We just got Direct about two weeks ago they were running a end of the year package....1 hd dvr, 3 hd receivers, 185 channels and 4 premium channels free for 3 months, free installation for $49.99 a month for first year then goes up $15 for second year

Comment

I have everything they offer. 2x DVR and 1 x regular box and i pay 184.00 a month

Comment

No Premium Channels (except Outdoor Channel), (1) HD DVR (1) regular DVR (2) standard receivers. $111.31/mo.

Comment

Originally posted by cinchup View Post
                    I had several bad experience's with them(direct tv) from day one and finally after about 6months someone told me how to get out of the contract for free. I switched to dish and could not be happier more channels and about half of the cost. Direct TV is one of the worst compaines I have had the pleasure to deal with!!! I hope they go out of business!!
                    Well, dont be stingy. Let us know. We are all family here. Spill it man! LOL!

But seriously, let us know the secret.

Comment

Been with them for about the same length of time.Customer Service has been great including my recent negotiation on a better price. I have the Choice Extra and pay $66.52. ONLY negative experience I have ever had was when I was trying to set up a reciever for the lease. It was so old they said they couldn't activate it. They wanted to "give" me a new reciever but charge me to run a line to the new room. I couldn't figure out how to explain to them the new room was 230 miles from the rest of the house so I just let it go.

Comment

We have been with them since they started. My wife gets just about every channel. Plus we get Sunday ticket so I can catch all my cardinal games and she can watch all her niner games.
                        I could have probably bought a small house for what we have given direct. My wife can call and within 30 seconds she is on the phone with someone from CS. She never has to wait.

Comment

I have 1 hd reciever and 2 regular with the hd and everything package paying 169. I think it way to high after seeing all this. Does anyone have the same and what are you paying

Comment

We had 4 dish receivers and cancelled them for Uverse, what a big mistake!! Our Uverse has stunk!! We are looking at going back to dish or direct. May be our area or something on Uverse.
                            We were paying 125 a month for Dish and had all the channels.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in San Jose View Post
                              Don't try to negotiate with the general customer service person. Call to cancel your service, a person in that dept is authorized to cut a deal with you. Say your wife said you cant afford it anymore, can they eork with you. Push it up to the point your resdy to say disconnect it, then say you need to see what your wife said.

3 key negotiation points here:

-Never make the first price offer or concession

- Never bring the final decision maker to the negotiation

- Only by walking away, with a way to re enter the negotiation can you see what the other party's bottom line is.

Have fun, it's a game.
                              I agree with what Bill said. It's been a while, but I believe one of Dave Ramsey's negotiating tips is to not say anything after they make an offer to you. They will take your silence as not accepting their offer and make you an even better deal.
                              He also suggest saying "That's not good enough" to see what else they will do for you.
                              You will probably have to change dish providers to get your very best deal. They all treat their long term customers like dogs and their new customers like royalty.

Comment

Just call and tell them to cancel your service and see what they say. Worst that could happen is they do cancel your service and then just get Dish and pay less anyway. I have been a retailer for both companies but I dropped the Direct for various reasons. I still sell Dish though and they are cheaper anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X