TNF National Anthem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jerp View Post
    It is easy for me to not get worked up about this controversy due to the fact I have somewhere around zero interest in the NFL. However, the league is in a tough spot - bad for them either way. If you let players kneel it offends half the fans and if you try to strong arm them into standing you offend the other half. No business can afford to turn off 50% of their customers. No win for the NFL - I'd like to be a fly on the wall in their meetings

I tend to agree, though I think your estimation may be a little off, hence the reason the NFL is now saying that players WILL stand. If it were a 50/50 wash, why bother from a business standpoint. I have a feeling that there are ALOT more folks that are pizzed about them not standing than the number of those who are pizzed for making them stand.

I know it's been said already, but the NFL is a private entity as is each individual team. When a player is "at work" and representing the league and their team, they DO NOT have freedom of speech, just as the rest of us don't while we're at work. Freedom of speech has to do with the government restricting a person's speech, not the company by which one is employed.

Yes, I think the NFL has put themselves in a tough spot because they botched this from the beginning.

Comment

Originally posted by 2014FusionM View Post
      Well they started airing the National Anthem in 2009 in the NFL and I believe earlier in the MLB and other sports. Also the National Anthem has been played at sporting events before the 1900's and became a staple in 1941 in the MLB.

might want to do a little research...

Work Cited

It has been hard to ignore the mixing of sports and politics recently, as President Donald Trump -- both on the stump an

'The Star-Spangled Banner' became a mainstay of American sports during a time of great national strife

http://www.npr.org/2016/09/04/492599...he-first-place
      They aired it for special events like playoffs or first games of the season. Some prime time games. Not every game. Your works cited is lacking.

Kaepernick kneeled for 3 or 4 games before it was ever aired.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
        Correct me if I'm wrong someone (like I actually have to day that...someone will for sure ), but I don't recall them ever airing The National Anthem prior to this whole controversy getting started; with exception to the Super Bowl, or a World Series game or something like that. This whole stupid thing has been widely perpetuated by the media because a controversy sells.
        In post #29 I posted that they started to air the National Anthem in the NFL in 2009. Kaepernick was not drafted till 2011 and didn't start the protest till 2016. I am with you though, this whole thing was about to be a part of the past but the news media and the president have to bring it up every other day which keeps it relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
          They aired it for special events like playoffs or first games of the season. Some prime time games. Not every game. Your works cited is lacking.

Kaepernick kneeled for 3 or 4 games before it was ever aired.
          Well I didn't say every game, I said it started in 2009. Also if you want to know it was a promotional move by the military to inspire more patriotism and to gain more recruiting numbers.

Comment

Well they started airing the National Anthem in 2009 in the NFL and I believe earlier in the MLB and other sports. Also the National Anthem has been played at sporting events before the 1900's and became a staple in 1941 in the MLB.

might want to do a little research...

Work Cited

It has been hard to ignore the mixing of sports and politics recently, as President Donald Trump -- both on the stump an

'The Star-Spangled Banner' became a mainstay of American sports during a time of great national strife

http://www.npr.org/2016/09/04/492599...he-first-place
            Your very first article, supports what I said.

"Part of the confusion, McCarthy said, may be that television networks often haven’t shown the national anthem being played."

Paragraph 18.

I think you misunderstood what I said.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              Your very first article, supports what I said.

"Part of the confusion, McCarthy said, may be that television networks often haven’t shown the national anthem being played."

Paragraph 18.

I think you misunderstood what I said.
              You said that they "Didn't ever showed the National Anthem". which stated in another post by someone else that they did for special occasions like opening day, Thanksgiving, Playoffs, and the Super Bowl.

Comment

Does it really matter when? The horse is out of the barn now so it is what it is.

Comment

Well I didn't say every game, I said it started in 2009. Also if you want to know it was a promotional move by the military to inspire more patriotism and to gain more recruiting numbers.
                  Recruiting numbers more than patriotism. My friend who was a recruiter in Indy told me his deal with the Colts was to have the AF display the flag for 4 games. $5k per game. And the troops has to buy a ticket if they wanted to stay for the game.

The DoD also has a nearly $7M budget for sports marketing up until 2015. That’s not INSPIRING anything but GREED..

Could be wrong, but I thought it was up to the individual TV network on what their are airing pregame. That 2 minute national anthem spot can be sold for advertising.

Comment

You said that they "Didn't ever showed the National Anthem". which stated in another post by someone else that they did for special occasions like opening day, Thanksgiving, Playoffs, and the Super Bowl.
                    Yes. 95% of the time they didn't ever show the national anthem. I didn't realize it had to be exactly 100% in order for people to understand what I meant.

Good grief lol

Comment

Originally posted by KYBourbon View Post
                      Recruiting numbers more than patriotism. My friend who was a recruiter in Indy told me his deal with the Colts was to have the AF display the flag for 4 games. $5k per game. And the troops has to buy a ticket if they wanted to stay for the game.

The DoD also has a nearly $7M budget for sports marketing up until 2015. That’s not INSPIRING anything but GREED..

Could be wrong, but I thought it was up to the individual TV network on what their are airing pregame. That 2 minute national anthem spot can be sold for advertising.
                      Do you think recruiting stations should not have to pay rent in buildings? Should the military not have to pay for billboards advertising for the different branches?

That would be like saying a landlord, or billboard owner shouldn't get paid because they are greedy.

Yes, I agree with your sentiment that the NFL does pass it off as patriotism, but I think the NFL should still get paid if every other advertiser has to pay for the exact same spot the military is taking.

Comment

They didn't air the national anthem ever up until Kapernick kneeled...it's not a new thing.
                        We watch the NA on every game, we stand and salute for it at my house.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
                          Correct me if I'm wrong someone (like I actually have to day that...someone will for sure ), but I don't recall them ever airing The National Anthem prior to this whole controversy getting started; with exception to the Super Bowl, or a World Series game or something like that. This whole stupid thing has been widely perpetuated by the media because a controversy sells.
                          Check post 29 and 41

Comment

Do you think recruiting stations should not have to pay rent in buildings? Should the military not have to pay for billboards advertising for the different branches?

That would be like saying a landlord, or billboard owner shouldn't get paid because they are greedy.

Yes, I agree with your sentiment that the NFL does pass it off as patriotism, but I think the NFL should still get paid if every other advertiser has to pay for the exact same spot the military is taking.
                            I agree they should also have to pay. Saying it was greed maybe wasn’t the right wording. I’m all for business owners making profits. I don’t think it’s too much to ask to give the color guard tickets to the game.

I just wanted to point out the flag displays aren’t about patriotism (my opinion). Just advertising just like any other business that advertises at the games.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                              We watch the NA on every game, we stand and salute for it at my house.
                              I think you missed my point. TV producers haven't shown the national anthem for NFL games, opting rather to sell commercial airtime, except for rare circumstances, up until recently.

Good on you, glad to hear that you do stand. I would bet a lot of folks don't that.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                                Check post 29 and 41
                                Check post 35.

Comment

Working...
                                X